[Csnd] OPL3 (YMF262) FM synthesis emulation

Date2021-08-25 22:44
FromRichard Knight
Subject[Csnd] OPL3 (YMF262) FM synthesis emulation
I am very fond of Yamaha's approach to FM synthesis and have enjoyed the
Csound models of the DX7 (http://www.parnasse.com/dx72csnd.shtml) and
TX81z (https://github.com/gleb812/cs81z). However I have found these
both a bit tricky to incorporate into wider Csound documents in a kind
of modular/reusable way.

The YMF262 was a chip used in a number of old soundcards including the
Sound Blaster 16, and continued a precedent of similar chips being used
starting with the Adlib cards, essentially a budget but still expressive
version of chips found in Yamaha's pro audio synths.

As there are a number of stable and quite accurate emulations of the
YMF262, I have used libADLMIDI to create a Csound plugin which offers
quite easy access to the synthesis parameters.

The source is in a git repository here:
http://git.1bpm.net/csound-opl/about/
There are a few examples including a patch/instrument editor with a FLTK
gui for all available parameters.
There's a basic demo video of that here
(http://plugins.csound.1bpm.net/files/vid/opl-demo1.mp4) and another
demo video showing all of the examples
(http://plugins.csound.1bpm.net/files/vid/opl-demo2.mp4).

Hopefully may be of some use to someone.
All the best,
Richard

FromJeffrey Harrington
SubjectRe: [Csnd] OPL3 (YMF262) FM synthesis emulation
wo, that's cool. been looking for a way to get back into csound fm!

jeff