[Csnd] Measuring LUFS (EBU R128)

Date2020-06-23 21:36
From"Jeanette C."
Subject[Csnd] Measuring LUFS (EBU R128)
Hey hey,
has someone implemented an EBU-meter in Csound? I have read and searched, but
found nothing in particular.

I could imagine that the momentary and short term loudness can be found with
rms, though there was mention of using Fletcher-Munson curves to weight levels
depending on their frequencies.

There is certainly one thing which I can't work out, because I always lacked
the mathematical basis and probably the correct term to research it further:
how to achieve the overall "average" level. Well, how to calculate an
"average" or "mean" over a continuing succession of values. Sorry, this does
definitely go beyond the strict scope. :)

I'd still be grateful for tips, keywords and possibly code snippets.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I used to think
I had the answers to everything
But now I know
... :) <3
(Britney Spears)

From"Peter P."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Measuring LUFS (EBU R128)
AttachmentsNone

Date2020-06-23 22:31
From"Jeanette C."
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Measuring LUFS (EBU R128)
Jun 23 2020, Peter P. has written:
> Fons did ebumeter for Linux/jack
> https://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/ebumeter-doc/quickguide.html
Thanks, I was definitely aware of the application, but didn't think to
have a look at the source code. I tried it, but didn't get far. :) I
might try Fons directly.

Best wishes and thanks again,

Jeanette

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I used to think
I had the answers to everything
But now I know
... :) <3
(Britney Spears)

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Measuring LUFS (EBU R128)
I've been thinking of implementing an LUFS meter opcode for a while but haven't had a chance to look into it yet. The algorithm for it is mentioned in ITU-R BS.1770-2:

as is in Fons' paper from LAC that is linked to from his site.

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 4:36 PM Jeanette C. <julien@mail.upb.de> wrote:
[...]

I'm going through a giant backlog of email at the moment and didn't want this issue to get lost, so I added one to Csound's issue tracker:

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 7:21 PM Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Jun 29 2020, Steven Yi has written:

> I'm going through a giant backlog of email at the moment and didn't want
> this issue to get lost, so I added one to Csound's issue tracker:
>
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/1347
Thanks a lot, Steven!

Best wishes,

Jeanette

> On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 7:21 PM Steven Yi  wrote:
>
>> I've been thinking of implementing an LUFS meter opcode for a while but
>> haven't had a chance to look into it yet. The algorithm for it is mentioned
>> in ITU-R BS.1770-2:
>>

>> https://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/rec/bs/R-REC-BS.1770-2-201103-S!!PDF-E.pdf
>>
>> as is in Fons' paper from LAC that is linked to from his site.
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 4:36 PM Jeanette C.  wrote:
>>
>>> Hey hey,
>>> has someone implemented an EBU-meter in Csound? I have read and searched,
>>> but
>>> found nothing in particular.
>>>
>>> I could imagine that the momentary and short term loudness can be found
>>> with
>>> rms, though there was mention of using Fletcher-Munson curves to weight
>>> levels
>>> depending on their frequencies.
>>>
>>> There is certainly one thing which I can't work out, because I always
>>> lacked
>>> the mathematical basis and probably the correct term to research it
>>> further:
>>> how to achieve the overall "average" level. Well, how to calculate an
>>> "average" or "mean" over a continuing succession of values. Sorry, this
>>> does
>>> definitely go beyond the strict scope. :)
>>>
>>> I'd still be grateful for tips, keywords and possibly code snippets.
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>>
>>> Jeanette
>>>
>>> --
>>>   * Website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
>>>   * Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rfGrTwz8W7jhC1Jnv7g
>>>   * SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/jeanette_c
>>>   * Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeanette_c_s
>>>   * Audiobombs: https://www.audiobombs.com/users/jeanette_c
>>>   * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c
>>>
>>> I used to think
>>> I had the answers to everything
>>> But now I know
>>> ... :) <3
>>> (Britney Spears)
>>>
>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Loneliness up ahead, emptiness behind <3
(Britney Spears)