Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

[Csnd] Spectral Music Design Book by Victor Lazzarini - WOW

Date2021-07-17 17:57
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
Subject[Csnd] Spectral Music Design Book by Victor Lazzarini - WOW
Hello Everyone,

Yesterday, I received my Hardcopy of Victor Lazzarini's latest book from Oxford University Press - 'Spectral Music Design: A Compositional Approach

And WOW.

Blown away.

I did have the honor of reviewing the book some months ago. I read the entire PDF and ran all the code and musical examples. I absolutely loved it and I was so inspired by it.  

But... WOW.  

What a difference it is to have the actual physical copy of the book!  

It is so exciting to flip from one page to another and see the equations, figures, python code, csound code.  Every page is a bite-sized injection of pure inspiration.  Victor covers everything, concisely, clearly, deeply, insightfully.

I am quite confident that it will soon be recognized as the 'essential' book in our field, and for me, like the 'Book of Kells' at Trinity College, Victor Lazzarini's Masterpiece 'Spectral Music Design' has found a permanent home on my reading table (at Boulanger Labs) and will serve to provide me with daily inspiration as I flip and read and get lost in all the worlds and possibilities that it reveals.

On the back cover of the book - after reading the PDF, I said this.  It is all true, and now that I see the book and hold the book... I would have even more to say about it.  Mostly, I would like to say THANK YOU to Victor Lazzarini for everything that you have done, given, and shared with all of us.

Eternally grateful.

-R

PS:  

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing & Technology Division

Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Date2021-07-17 18:03
FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Spectral Music Design Book by Victor Lazzarini - WOW
(Pre-)ordered! Can't wait.

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 12:58 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Yesterday, I received my Hardcopy of Victor Lazzarini's latest book from Oxford University Press - 'Spectral Music Design: A Compositional Approach

And WOW.

Blown away.

I did have the honor of reviewing the book some months ago. I read the entire PDF and ran all the code and musical examples. I absolutely loved it and I was so inspired by it.  

But... WOW.  

It is so exciting to flip from one page to another and see the equations, figures, python code, csound code.  Every page is a bite-sized injection of pure inspiration.  Victor covers everything, concisely, clearly, deeply, insightfully.

I am quite confident that it will soon be recognized as the 'essential' book in our field, and for me, like the 'Book of Kells' at Trinity College, Victor Lazzarini's Masterpiece 'Spectral Music Design' has found a permanent home on my reading table (at Boulanger Labs) and will serve to provide me with daily inspiration as I flip and read and get lost in all the worlds and possibilities that it reveals.

On the back cover of the book - after reading the PDF, I said this.  It is all true, and now that I see the book and hold the book... I would have even more to say about it.  Mostly, I would like to say THANK YOU to Victor Lazzarini for everything that you have done, given, and shared with all of us.

Eternally grateful.

-R

PS:  

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Berklee College of Music

Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Date2021-07-17 18:18
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Spectral Music Design Book by Victor Lazzarini - WOW
PS:  this is the blurb that I wrote for the back cover - and it is even more true now that I have the Hardcover version here in the studio.

"Spectral Music Design: A Computational Approach will prove a vast and deep source of insight, inspiration, enlightenment, and understanding for the innovative composer, producer, sound designer, and developer. Drawing on a lifetime of experience in the classroom in the studio, on the stage, and in the lab, the 'Leonardo da Vinci' of DSP - Victor Lazzarini - illustrates, demonstrates, explains and shares his masterpieces of code and music in this incredibly inspiring book. For years to come, Spectral Music Design will be a go-to resource for teachers and students of computer music, acoustics, digital signal processing, and computer science, as well as cutting-edge electronic music producers, innovative sound designers, and audio app developers." -- Dr. Richard Boulanger, Professor of Electronic Production and Design - Berklee College of Music

- dB

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Berklee College of Music

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 12:57 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
Hello Everyone,

And WOW.

Blown away.

But... WOW.  

Eternally grateful.

-R

PS:  

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Berklee College of Music

Date2021-07-17 18:59
FromVictor Lazzarini
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] Spectral Music Design Book by Victor Lazzarini - WOW
thank you for your kind words. I really hope this book turns out to be useful for people, that's the whole point of it.

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

On Jul 17, 2021, at 6:18 PM, Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

PS:  this is the blurb that I wrote for the back cover - and it is even more true now that I have the Hardcover version here in the studio.

"Spectral Music Design: A Computational Approach will prove a vast and deep source of insight, inspiration, enlightenment, and understanding for the innovative composer, producer, sound designer, and developer. Drawing on a lifetime of experience in the classroom in the studio, on the stage, and in the lab, the 'Leonardo da Vinci' of DSP - Victor Lazzarini - illustrates, demonstrates, explains and shares his masterpieces of code and music in this incredibly inspiring book. For years to come, Spectral Music Design will be a go-to resource for teachers and students of computer music, acoustics, digital signal processing, and computer science, as well as cutting-edge electronic music producers, innovative sound designers, and audio app developers." -- Dr. Richard Boulanger, Professor of Electronic Production and Design - Berklee College of Music

- dB

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Berklee College of Music

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 12:57 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
Hello Everyone,

And WOW.

Blown away.

But... WOW.  

Eternally grateful.

-R

PS:  

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Berklee College of Music

Date2021-07-17 20:04
FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] Spectral Music Design Book by Victor Lazzarini - WOW
Thanks for the hint!

I am very curious. What is the best way to order it in Europe and does it come also as an e-book?

Thanks and congratulations!

Tarmo

L, 17. juuli 2021 20:59 Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> kirjutas:
thank you for your kind words. I really hope this book turns out to be useful for people, that's the whole point of it.

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

On Jul 17, 2021, at 6:18 PM, Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

- dB

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Berklee College of Music

Hello Everyone,

And WOW.

Blown away.

But... WOW.  

Eternally grateful.

-R

PS:  

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Berklee College of Music

Date2021-07-18 11:35
Fromjoachim heintz
yes would love to order it, too; but it said that it is not yet published.

congrats victor and thanks for sharing your immense knowledge in so many 
ways!

j

On 17/07/2021 21:04, Tarmo Johannes wrote:
> Thanks for the hint!
> 
> I am very curious. What is the best way to order it in Europe and does 
> it come also as an e-book?
> 
> Thanks and congratulations!
> 
> Tarmo
> 
> L, 17. juuli 2021 20:59 Victor Lazzarini  > kirjutas:
> 
>     thank you for your kind words. I really hope this book turns out to
>     be useful for people, that's the whole point of it.
> 
>     Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>     Maynooth University
>     Ireland
> 
>>     On Jul 17, 2021, at 6:18 PM, Dr. Richard Boulanger
>>     > wrote:
>>
>>     
>>
>>
>>       *Warning*
>>
>>     This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail
>>     System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you
>>     recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>>
>>     PS:  this is the blurb that I wrote for the back cover - and it is
>>     even more true now that I have the Hardcover version here in the
>>     studio.
>>
>>     "/Spectral Music Design: A Computational Approach/ will prove a
>>     vast and deep source of insight, inspiration, enlightenment, and
>>     understanding for the innovative composer, producer, sound
>>     designer, and developer. Drawing on a lifetime of experience in
>>     the classroom in the studio, on the stage, and in the lab, the
>>     'Leonardo da Vinci' of DSP - Victor Lazzarini - illustrates,
>>     demonstrates, explains and shares his masterpieces of code and
>>     music in this incredibly inspiring book. For years to come,
>>     /Spectral Music Design/ will be a go-to resource for teachers and
>>     students of computer music, acoustics, digital signal processing,
>>     and computer science, as well as cutting-edge electronic music
>>     producers, innovative sound designers, and audio app developers."
>>     -- Dr. Richard Boulanger, Professor of Electronic Production and
>>     Design - Berklee College of Music
>>
>>     *
>>     *
>>
>>     *- dB*
>>
>>     *
>>     *
>>
>>     *Dr. Richard Boulanger*
>>
>>     Professor
>>
>>     Electronic Production and Design
>>
>>     *Berklee College of Music*
>>
>>     Professional Writing & Technology Division
>>
>>
>>
>>     On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 12:57 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger
>>     > wrote:
>>
>>         Hello Everyone,
>>
>>         Yesterday, I received my Hardcopy of Victor
>>         Lazzarini's latest book from Oxford University Press -
>>         'Spectral Music Design: A Compositional Approach
>>
>>         And WOW.
>>
>>         Blown away.
>>
>>         I did have the honor of reviewing the book some months ago. I
>>         read the entire PDF and ran all the code and musical examples.
>>         I absolutely loved it and I was so inspired by it.
>>
>>         But... WOW.
>>
>>         What a difference it is to have the actual physical copy of
>>         the book!
>>
>>         It is so exciting to flip from one page to another and see the
>>         equations, figures, python code, csound code.  Every page is a
>>         bite-sized injection of pure inspiration.  Victor covers
>>         everything, concisely, clearly, deeply, insightfully.
>>
>>         I am quite confident that it will soon be recognized as the
>>         'essential' book in our field, and for me, like the 'Book of
>>         Kells' at Trinity College, Victor Lazzarini's Masterpiece
>>         'Spectral Music Design' has found a permanent home on my
>>         reading table (at Boulanger Labs) and will serve to provide me
>>         with daily inspiration as I flip and read and get lost in all
>>         the worlds and possibilities that it reveals.
>>
>>         On the back cover of the book - after reading the PDF, I said
>>         this.  It is all true, and now that I see the book and hold
>>         the book... I would have even more to say about it.  Mostly, I
>>         would like to say THANK YOU to Victor Lazzarini for everything
>>         that you have done, given, and shared with all of us.
>>
>>         Eternally grateful.
>>
>>         -R
>>
>>         PS:
>>
>>         It is available in Hardcover ($125) and Paperback ($45) from
>>         Oxford University Press, Amazon, and even from WallMart. 
>>         (that's pretty cool!)
>>         https://global.oup.com/academic/product/spectral-music-design-9780197524015?cc=us&lang=en&
>>         
>>
>>         https://smile.amazon.com/Spectral-Music-Design-Computational-Approach-dp-0197524028/dp/0197524028/ref=mt_other?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=
>>         
>>
>>         https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spectral-Music-Design-A-Computational-Approach-Paperback-9780197524022/196940590?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0
>>         
>>
>>
>>         *Dr. Richard Boulanger*
>>
>>         Professor
>>
>>         Electronic Production and Design
>>
>>         *Berklee College of Music*
>>
>>         Professional Writing & Technology Division
>>
>>     Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>     
>>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>     
>>     Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>     
>>     Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>     Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>     
>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>      Send bugs reports
>     to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>      Discussions of bugs and
>     features can be posted here 
> 
> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie 
>  
> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND 
>  Send bugs reports to 
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues 
>  Discussions of bugs and 
> features can be posted here

Csound mailing list
Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
Send bugs reports to
        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Date2021-07-18 12:49
FromTetsuya Miwa
Congratulations!
I pre-ordered the book on amazon. I'm really looking forward to it.

Tetsuya Miwa

> 2021/07/18 2:59、Victor Lazzarini のメール:
> 
> thank you for your kind words. I really hope this book turns out to be useful for people, that's the whole point of it.
> 
> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University
> Ireland
> 
>> On Jul 17, 2021, at 6:18 PM, Dr. Richard Boulanger  wrote:
>> 
>> 
>> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>> PS:  this is the blurb that I wrote for the back cover - and it is even more true now that I have the Hardcover version here in the studio.
>> 
>> "Spectral Music Design: A Computational Approach will prove a vast and deep source of insight, inspiration, enlightenment, and understanding for the innovative composer, producer, sound designer, and developer. Drawing on a lifetime of experience in the classroom in the studio, on the stage, and in the lab, the 'Leonardo da Vinci' of DSP - Victor Lazzarini - illustrates, demonstrates, explains and shares his masterpieces of code and music in this incredibly inspiring book. For years to come, Spectral Music Design will be a go-to resource for teachers and students of computer music, acoustics, digital signal processing, and computer science, as well as cutting-edge electronic music producers, innovative sound designers, and audio app developers." -- Dr. Richard Boulanger, Professor of Electronic Production and Design - Berklee College of Music
>> 
>> - dB
>> 
>> Dr. Richard Boulanger
>> Professor
>> Electronic Production and Design
>> Berklee College of Music
>> Professional Writing & Technology Division
>> 
>> 
>> On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 12:57 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger  wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>> 
>> Yesterday, I received my Hardcopy of Victor Lazzarini's latest book from Oxford University Press - 'Spectral Music Design: A Compositional Approach
>> 
>> And WOW.
>> 
>> Blown away.
>> 
>> I did have the honor of reviewing the book some months ago. I read the entire PDF and ran all the code and musical examples. I absolutely loved it and I was so inspired by it.  
>> 
>> But... WOW.  
>> 
>> What a difference it is to have the actual physical copy of the book!  
>> 
>> It is so exciting to flip from one page to another and see the equations, figures, python code, csound code.  Every page is a bite-sized injection of pure inspiration.  Victor covers everything, concisely, clearly, deeply, insightfully.
>> 
>> I am quite confident that it will soon be recognized as the 'essential' book in our field, and for me, like the 'Book of Kells' at Trinity College, Victor Lazzarini's Masterpiece 'Spectral Music Design' has found a permanent home on my reading table (at Boulanger Labs) and will serve to provide me with daily inspiration as I flip and read and get lost in all the worlds and possibilities that it reveals.
>> 
>> On the back cover of the book - after reading the PDF, I said this.  It is all true, and now that I see the book and hold the book... I would have even more to say about it.  Mostly, I would like to say THANK YOU to Victor Lazzarini for everything that you have done, given, and shared with all of us.
>> 
>> Eternally grateful.
>> 
>> -R
>> 
>> PS:  
>> 
>> It is available in Hardcover ($125) and Paperback ($45) from Oxford University Press, Amazon, and even from WallMart.  (that's pretty cool!)
>>  
>> https://global.oup.com/academic/product/spectral-music-design-9780197524015?cc=us&lang=en&
>> 
>> https://smile.amazon.com/Spectral-Music-Design-Computational-Approach-dp-0197524028/dp/0197524028/ref=mt_other?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=
>> 
>> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spectral-Music-Design-A-Computational-Approach-Paperback-9780197524022/196940590?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0
>> 
>> 
>> Dr. Richard Boulanger
>> Professor
>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Csound mailing list
Send bugs reports to

Date2021-07-18 14:27
FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
Congrats. You continue to impress! 

søn. 18. jul. 2021, 1:49 p.m. skrev Tetsuya Miwa <izc07036@nifty.com>:
Congratulations!

Tetsuya Miwa

> 2021/07/18 2:59、Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@MU.IE>のメール:
>
> thank you for your kind words. I really hope this book turns out to be useful for people, that's the whole point of it.
>
> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University
> Ireland
>
>> On Jul 17, 2021, at 6:18 PM, Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
>>
>> 
>> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>> PS:  this is the blurb that I wrote for the back cover - and it is even more true now that I have the Hardcover version here in the studio.
>>
>> "Spectral Music Design: A Computational Approach will prove a vast and deep source of insight, inspiration, enlightenment, and understanding for the innovative composer, producer, sound designer, and developer. Drawing on a lifetime of experience in the classroom in the studio, on the stage, and in the lab, the 'Leonardo da Vinci' of DSP - Victor Lazzarini - illustrates, demonstrates, explains and shares his masterpieces of code and music in this incredibly inspiring book. For years to come, Spectral Music Design will be a go-to resource for teachers and students of computer music, acoustics, digital signal processing, and computer science, as well as cutting-edge electronic music producers, innovative sound designers, and audio app developers." -- Dr. Richard Boulanger, Professor of Electronic Production and Design - Berklee College of Music
>>
>> - dB
>>
>> Dr. Richard Boulanger
>> Professor
>>
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 12:57 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> Yesterday, I received my Hardcopy of Victor Lazzarini's latest book from Oxford University Press - 'Spectral Music Design: A Compositional Approach
>>
>> And WOW.
>>
>> Blown away.
>>
>> I did have the honor of reviewing the book some months ago. I read the entire PDF and ran all the code and musical examples. I absolutely loved it and I was so inspired by it. 
>>
>> But... WOW. 
>>
>>
>> It is so exciting to flip from one page to another and see the equations, figures, python code, csound code.  Every page is a bite-sized injection of pure inspiration.  Victor covers everything, concisely, clearly, deeply, insightfully.
>>
>> I am quite confident that it will soon be recognized as the 'essential' book in our field, and for me, like the 'Book of Kells' at Trinity College, Victor Lazzarini's Masterpiece 'Spectral Music Design' has found a permanent home on my reading table (at Boulanger Labs) and will serve to provide me with daily inspiration as I flip and read and get lost in all the worlds and possibilities that it reveals.
>>
>> On the back cover of the book - after reading the PDF, I said this.  It is all true, and now that I see the book and hold the book... I would have even more to say about it.  Mostly, I would like to say THANK YOU to Victor Lazzarini for everything that you have done, given, and shared with all of us.
>>
>> Eternally grateful.
>>
>> -R
>>
>> PS: 
>>
>> It is available in Hardcover ($125) and Paperback ($45) from Oxford University Press, Amazon, and even from WallMart.  (that's pretty cool!)
>> 
>> https://global.oup.com/academic/product/spectral-music-design-9780197524015?cc=us&lang=en&
>>
>> https://smile.amazon.com/Spectral-Music-Design-Computational-Approach-dp-0197524028/dp/0197524028/ref=mt_other?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=
>>
>> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Spectral-Music-Design-A-Computational-Approach-Paperback-9780197524022/196940590?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0
>>
>>
>> Dr. Richard Boulanger
>> Professor
>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Csound mailing list
Send bugs reports to

Date2021-07-18 23:16
FromAaron Krister Johnson
Hearty Congratulations, Victor, for what is clearly a milestone release.

And thanks, Dr. Boulanger, for making us all aware of it!

Aaron Krister Johnson
http://www.untwelve.org

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 6:27 AM Oeyvind Brandtsegg <obrandts@gmail.com> wrote:
Congrats. You continue to impress! 

søn. 18. jul. 2021, 1:49 p.m. skrev Tetsuya Miwa <izc07036@nifty.com>:
Congratulations!

Tetsuya Miwa

> 2021/07/18 2:59、Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@MU.IE>のメール:
>
>
> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University
> Ireland
>
>> On Jul 17, 2021, at 6:18 PM, Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
>>
>> 
>> PS:  this is the blurb that I wrote for the back cover - and it is even more true now that I have the Hardcover version here in the studio.
>>
>>
>> - dB
>>
>> Dr. Richard Boulanger
>> Professor
>>
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 12:57 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>>
>> And WOW.
>>
>> Blown away.
>>
>>
>> But... WOW. 
>>
>>
>> It is so exciting to flip from one page to another and see the equations, figures, python code, csound code.  Every page is a bite-sized injection of pure inspiration.  Victor covers everything, concisely, clearly, deeply, insightfully.
>>
>>
>> On the back cover of the book - after reading the PDF, I said this.  It is all true, and now that I see the book and hold the book... I would have even more to say about it.  Mostly, I would like to say THANK YOU to Victor Lazzarini for everything that you have done, given, and shared with all of us.
>>
>> Eternally grateful.
>>
>> -R
>>
>> PS: 
>>
>> It is available in Hardcover ($125) and Paperback ($45) from Oxford University Press, Amazon, and even from WallMart.  (that's pretty cool!)
>> 
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Dr. Richard Boulanger
>> Professor

Csound mailing list
Send bugs reports to