[Csnd] any lisp/scheme front-ends/hosts to csound?

Date2021-06-26 14:53
FromIain Duncan
Subject[Csnd] any lisp/scheme front-ends/hosts to csound?
Hi folks, just wondering if anyone knows of any lisp/scheme front ends that use the Csound API. It's something I'm considering trying out with s7 and wanted to check on prior work I might not have found. I'm thinking of an integrated scheme/c host, so that one can make direct csound API calls from scheme to set vars, turn on and off instruments, etc. My main interest is in seeing if this is possible in a Max/Pd object, but getting it going stand alone could be useful too.

thanks!
iain

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] any lisp/scheme front-ends/hosts to csound?
None that I know of. I guess it needs an FFI wrapper to be built to access the C or C++ API.

On Jun 26, 2021, at 2:54 PM, Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@gmail.com> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone knows of any lisp/scheme front ends that use the Csound API. It's something I'm considering trying out with s7 and wanted to check on prior work I might not have found. I'm thinking of an integrated scheme/c host, so that one can make direct csound API calls from scheme to set vars, turn on and off instruments, etc. My main interest is in seeing if this is possible in a Max/Pd object, but getting it going stand alone could be useful too.

thanks!
iain

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] any lisp/scheme front-ends/hosts to csound?
https://github.com/gogins/csound-extended-nudruz

This is based on a Common Lisp CFFI interface to Csound that I have maintained for years in the Csound repository,  https://www.github.com/csound/csound/tree/develop/interfaces/csound.lisp.

Regards,
Mike

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 8:03 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
None that I know of. I guess it needs an FFI wrapper to be built to access the C or C++ API.

Yes, that's what I was envisioning. That's how I've built Scheme for Max/Pd, the s7 interpreter is completely contained in the C external, and Max to Scheme is bridged with some data marshalling and FFI functions. So it occured to me it would be potentially interesting to explore doing the same thing but with csound embedded alongside it. It's very easy with s7 to add FFI functions both ways, and one can also turn the garbage collector on and off, so it might be possible get the GC to play fair (enough) with Csound as well.

Are there any open source Csound API projects that are particularly good examples? (i.e. not so big and complex as to be hard to go through)

thanks
iain

[...]

Ah, great, I shall look at this! Michael, are you using the CL or s7 version of Common Music?

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 8:25 AM Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Common Lisp.

Regards,
Mike

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021, 11:29 Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

There's a repo of examples in
github.com/csound that may be useful
to you.

On Jun 26, 2021, at 4:28 PM, Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

great, thanks Victor.

iain

On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 11:54 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
[...]

FromDave Phillips
SubjectRe: [Csnd] any lisp/scheme front-ends/hosts to csound?
On 6/26/21 9:53 AM, Iain Duncan wrote:
> Hi folks, just wondering if anyone knows of any lisp/scheme front ends
> that use the Csound API.

Could OpenMusic work for your purposes ?

http://repmus.ircam.fr/openmusic/home

http://www.jmdarremont.net/open-music-csound1/

Best regards,

dp