[Csnd] GEN02 values...

Date2021-12-19 10:32
FromRory Walsh
Subject[Csnd] GEN02 values...
I was under the impression that passing a single value to GEN02 would result in the entire table being filled with that value? So the following would produce a table filled with 1s?

f1 0 16 2 1

But that doesn't seem to be the case any more? I recall having a discussion about this on the list some years back, but can't check, because those threads are no longer accessible to the public :(

FromMauro Giubileo
SubjectRe: [Csnd] GEN02 values...

From the manual on GEN02 (https://csound.com/docs/manual/GEN02.html) I read:

"any table locations not filled will contain zeros."

So, if you use just 1 value, I think the remaining values will be filled with 0.

---
Mauro

Il 19/12/2021 11:32 Rory Walsh ha scritto:

I was under the impression that passing a single value to GEN02 would result in the entire table being filled with that value? So the following would produce a table filled with 1s?

f1 0 16 2 1

But that doesn't seem to be the case any more? I recall having a discussion about this on the list some years back, but can't check, because those threads are no longer accessible to the public :(

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] GEN02 values...
That's what the manual says, but I have a strong recollection that this was changed at some point. But as I can no longer search the Csound mailing list pre 2015 or whenever, I can't find the discussion. The problem is that if one defines a GEN02 with 1024 places, they need to manually fill each sample. If I recall correctly, the change meant that the last value given would determine the value for all remaining indices.

On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 at 11:44, Mauro Giubileo <mgiubileo@computeraltafed.it> wrote:

From the manual on GEN02 (https://csound.com/docs/manual/GEN02.html) I read:

"any table locations not filled will contain zeros."

So, if you use just 1 value, I think the remaining values will be filled with 0.

---
Mauro

Il 19/12/2021 11:32 Rory Walsh ha scritto:

I was under the impression that passing a single value to GEN02 would result in the entire table being filled with that value? So the following would produce a table filled with 1s?

f1 0 16 2 1

But that doesn't seem to be the case any more? I recall having a discussion about this on the list some years back, but can't check, because those threads are no longer accessible to the public :(

SubjectRe: [Csnd] GEN02 values...
yes i recall the same, rory, but only a look in the code can show
whether we are right or not.

if i am right we can fill an array instead the single numbers. so
creating an array with your init arguments and then
	iContent[] = .....
	giTable ftgen 0, 16, 2, iContent
should work?

	joachim

On 19/12/2021 11:57, Rory Walsh wrote:
> That's what the manual says, but I have a strong recollection that this
> was changed at some point. But as I can no longer search the Csound
> mailing list pre 2015 or whenever, I can't find the discussion. The
> problem is that if one defines a GEN02 with 1024 places, they need to
> manually fill each sample. If I recall correctly, the change meant that
> the last value given would determine the value for all remaining indices.
>
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 at 11:44, Mauro Giubileo
> > wrote:
>
>      From the manual on GEN02 (https://csound.com/docs/manual/GEN02.html
>     ) I read:
>
>     "any table locations not filled will contain zeros."
>
>     So, if you use just 1 value, I think the remaining values will be
>     filled with 0.
>

>     ---
>     Mauro
>

>     Il 19/12/2021 11:32 Rory Walsh ha scritto:
>
>>     I was under the impression that passing a single value to GEN02
>>     would result in the entire table being filled with that value? So
>>     the following would produce a table filled with 1s?
>>     f1 0 16 2 1
>>     But that doesn't seem to be the case any more? I recall having a
>>     discussion about this on the list some years back, but can't
>>     check, because those threads are no longer accessible to the public :(
>>     Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>
>>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>      Send bugs
>>     reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>      Discussions of bugs and
>>     features can be posted here
>     Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>
>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>      Send bugs reports
>     to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>      Discussions of bugs and
>     features can be posted here

>  Send bugs reports to
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>  Discussions of bugs and
> features can be posted here

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] GEN02 values...
I've tested the code and it certainly doesn't seem to behave as I have thought it did. Good call on the array method. That will do the job nicely. :+1:

On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 at 12:13, joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de> wrote:
yes i recall the same, rory, but only a look in the code can show
whether we are right or not.

if i am right we can fill an array instead the single numbers. so
creating an array with your init arguments and then
        iContent[] = .....
        giTable ftgen 0, 16, 2, iContent
should work?

        joachim

On 19/12/2021 11:57, Rory Walsh wrote:
> That's what the manual says, but I have a strong recollection that this
> was changed at some point. But as I can no longer search the Csound
> mailing list pre 2015 or whenever, I can't find the discussion. The
> problem is that if one defines a GEN02 with 1024 places, they need to
> manually fill each sample. If I recall correctly, the change meant that
> the last value given would determine the value for all remaining indices.
>
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 at 11:44, Mauro Giubileo
> <mgiubileo@computeraltafed.it <mailto:mgiubileo@computeraltafed.it>> wrote:
>
>      From the manual on GEN02 (https://csound.com/docs/manual/GEN02.html
>     <https://csound.com/docs/manual/GEN02.html>) I read:
>
>     "any table locations not filled will contain zeros."
>
>     So, if you use just 1 value, I think the remaining values will be
>     filled with 0.
>

>     ---
>     Mauro
>

>     Il 19/12/2021 11:32 Rory Walsh ha scritto:
>
>>     I was under the impression that passing a single value to GEN02
>>     would result in the entire table being filled with that value? So
>>     the following would produce a table filled with 1s?
>>     f1 0 16 2 1
>>     But that doesn't seem to be the case any more? I recall having a
>>     discussion about this on the list some years back, but can't
>>     check, because those threads are no longer accessible to the public :(
>>     Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>     <mailto:Csound@listserv.heanet.ie>
>>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>     <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND> Send bugs
>>     reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>     <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues> Discussions of bugs and
>>     features can be posted here
>     Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>     <mailto:Csound@listserv.heanet.ie>
>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>     <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND> Send bugs reports
>     to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>     <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues> Discussions of bugs and
>     features can be posted here

> <mailto:Csound@listserv.heanet.ie>
> <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND> Send bugs reports to
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues> Discussions of bugs and
> features can be posted here

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd] GEN02 values...
as per the norm, RTFM

https://csound.com/manual/ftgen.html

On 19 Dec 2021, at 11:20, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

I've tested the code and it certainly doesn't seem to behave as I have thought it did. Good call on the array method. That will do the job nicely. :+1:

On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 at 12:13, joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de> wrote:
yes i recall the same, rory, but only a look in the code can show
whether we are right or not.

if i am right we can fill an array instead the single numbers. so
creating an array with your init arguments and then
        iContent[] = .....
        giTable ftgen 0, 16, 2, iContent
should work?

        joachim

On 19/12/2021 11:57, Rory Walsh wrote:
> That's what the manual says, but I have a strong recollection that this
> was changed at some point. But as I can no longer search the Csound
> mailing list pre 2015 or whenever, I can't find the discussion. The
> problem is that if one defines a GEN02 with 1024 places, they need to
> manually fill each sample. If I recall correctly, the change meant that
> the last value given would determine the value for all remaining indices.
>
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 at 11:44, Mauro Giubileo
> <mgiubileo@computeraltafed.it <mailto:mgiubileo@computeraltafed.it>> wrote:
>
>      From the manual on GEN02 (https://csound.com/docs/manual/GEN02.html
>     <https://csound.com/docs/manual/GEN02.html>) I read:
>
>     "any table locations not filled will contain zeros."
>
>     So, if you use just 1 value, I think the remaining values will be
>     filled with 0.
>

>     ---
>     Mauro
>

>     Il 19/12/2021 11:32 Rory Walsh ha scritto:
>
>>     I was under the impression that passing a single value to GEN02
>>     would result in the entire table being filled with that value? So
>>     the following would produce a table filled with 1s?
>>     f1 0 16 2 1
>>     But that doesn't seem to be the case any more? I recall having a
>>     discussion about this on the list some years back, but can't
>>     check, because those threads are no longer accessible to the public :(
>>     Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>     <mailto:Csound@listserv.heanet.ie>
>>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>>     <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND> Send bugs
>>     reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>     <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues> Discussions of bugs and
>>     features can be posted here
>     Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>     <mailto:Csound@listserv.heanet.ie>
>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>     <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND> Send bugs reports
>     to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>     <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues> Discussions of bugs and
>     features can be posted here

> <mailto:Csound@listserv.heanet.ie>
> <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND> Send bugs reports to
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues> Discussions of bugs and
> features can be posted here

FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd] GEN02 values...
The code fills with zero.  I see no evidence of a change and do not remember any discussion. Gen02 is very old.

> [...]

>      From the manual on GEN02 (https://csound.com/docs/manual/GEN02.html
>     <https://csound.com/docs/manual/GEN02.html>) I read:
>
>     "any table locations not filled will contain zeros."
>
>     So, if you use just 1 value, I think the remaining values will be
>     filled with 0.
>

>     ---
>     Mauro
>

>     Il 19/12/2021 11:32 Rory Walsh ha scritto:
>
>>     I was under the impression that passing a single value to GEN02
>>     would result in the entire table being filled with that value? So
>>     the following would produce a table filled with 1s?
>>     f1 0 16 2 1
>>     But that doesn't seem to be the case any more? I recall having a
>>     discussion about this on the list some years back, but can't
>>     check, because those threads are no longer accessible to the public :(

FromPartev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] GEN02 values...

Function value-1 is a sine wave, value-0 would be whatever wave data is inputted???

-Partev

> [...]

>      From the manual on GEN02 (https://csound.com/docs/manual/GEN02.html
>     <https://csound.com/docs/manual/GEN02.html>) I read:
>
>     "any table locations not filled will contain zeros."
>
>     So, if you use just 1 value, I think the remaining values will be
>     filled with 0.
>

>     ---
>     Mauro
>

>     Il 19/12/2021 11:32 Rory Walsh ha scritto:
>
>>     I was under the impression that passing a single value to GEN02
>>     would result in the entire table being filled with that value? So
>>     the following would produce a table filled with 1s?
>>     f1 0 16 2 1
>>     But that doesn't seem to be the case any more? I recall having a
>>     discussion about this on the list some years back, but can't
>>     check, because those threads are no longer accessible to the public :(

FromEduardo Moguillansky
SubjectRe: [Csnd] GEN02 values...

See https://csound-plugins.github.io/csound-plugins/opcodes/ftnew.html

Otherwise create the table via gen02 and use ftset, or use gen07 with a straight line

On 19.12.21 22:13, Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> wrote:

On 19.12.21 11:32, Rory Walsh wrote:
I was under the impression that passing a single value to GEN02 would result in the entire table being filled with that value? So the following would produce a table filled with 1s?

f1 0 16 2 1

But that doesn't seem to be the case any more? I recall having a discussion about this on the list some years back, but can't check, because those threads are no longer accessible to the public :(

FromGuillermo Senna
SubjectRe: [Csnd] GEN02 values...

How about GEN20 with a rectangle window?

On 19/12/21 18:34, Eduardo Moguillansky wrote:

See https://csound-plugins.github.io/csound-plugins/opcodes/ftnew.html

Otherwise create the table via gen02 and use ftset, or use gen07 with a straight line

On 19.12.21 22:13, Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> wrote:

On 19.12.21 11:32, Rory Walsh wrote:
I was under the impression that passing a single value to GEN02 would result in the entire table being filled with that value? So the following would produce a table filled with 1s?

f1 0 16 2 1

But that doesn't seem to be the case any more? I recall having a discussion about this on the list some years back, but can't check, because those threads are no longer accessible to the public :(

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] GEN02 values...
A bigger issue for me is the fact that thousands of posts to the Csound mailing list are no longer accessible. And that was probably one of the most active times for the Csound community. It was really hopping back then. Having to manually fill GEN02 tables is fine, but losing access to all those messages is a real pain.

On Sun, 19 Dec 2021 at 21:52, Guillermo Senna <gsenna@gmail.com> wrote:

How about GEN20 with a rectangle window?

On 19/12/21 18:34, Eduardo Moguillansky wrote:

See https://csound-plugins.github.io/csound-plugins/opcodes/ftnew.html

Otherwise create the table via gen02 and use ftset, or use gen07 with a straight line

On 19.12.21 22:13, Partev Sarkissian <0000060b2ef1338e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> wrote:

On 19.12.21 11:32, Rory Walsh wrote:
I was under the impression that passing a single value to GEN02 would result in the entire table being filled with that value? So the following would produce a table filled with 1s?

f1 0 16 2 1

But that doesn't seem to be the case any more? I recall having a discussion about this on the list some years back, but can't check, because those threads are no longer accessible to the public :(

FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd] GEN02 values...
I thought all mail since sourceforge was stil readable.  I need to check the archives

On 19 Dec 2021, at 23:38, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
[...]

The Heanet archives can be viewed and searched online, but that's it as far as I can tell. As bad as Nabble was, it used to at least provide a way of searching through the archives. But this no longer works.

On Mon 20 Dec 2021, 1:32 a.m. John ff, <jpff@codemist.co.uk> wrote:
[...]

FromJohann Philippe <000002c2c0737523-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] GEN02 values...
Are those archives lost ? I mean those which are not on Heanet.

Le lundi 20 décembre 2021, 08:19:33 UTC+1, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> a écrit :

[...]

I believe you have backups of them all, but for the general public they are no longer accessible.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 at 08:13, Johann Philippe <000002c2c0737523-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't there be a way to format these backups and put it online somewhere ? I can give a bit of time if needed.

Le mardi 21 décembre 2021, 08:16:24 UTC+1, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> a écrit :

[...]

Richard Knight and hlolli were looking into this but I don't know how far they got. As far as I know John has already sent Richard the full archives so maybe things are already underway.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 at 08:22, Johann Philippe <000002c2c0737523-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
[...]

Depends what you mean by accessable.  There are files readable on dream.cs.bath.ac.uk and others on codemist.co.uk

But no search facility. Specify what you want and could try.

On 21 Dec 2021, at 07:17, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
[...]

FromRichard Knight
SubjectRe: [Csnd] GEN02 values...

Hi
I downloaded all of the files from John's page in September and parsed them into mbox format:

I sent this to hlolli , and the intention was to import these to the Csound forum (which apparently it is fairly straightforward to import mbox format messages to). I am not sure what has happened since, but the first file I sent had some problems (message duplication) so maybe delayed things.
This set of messages covers October 2007 to September 2014.

Following that everything moved to Heanet. I have contacted them to try and obtain the raw messages to parse to mbox format for forum import. However they need authorisation from the list owner - I asked John and Victor a while ago as presumed it was one of them.

gmane also has an archive of some messages, though can't remember what date range they span, and as far as I remember some periods were patchy. I obtained all of those and parsed to mbox, here: http://csound.1bpm.net/files/mailinglist/csound.gmane.mbox.gz . As far as I remember that covers some of the current Heanet messages, some of John's archive, and some from earlier, but none consistently.

On 2021-12-21 08:04, Rory Walsh wrote:

Richard Knight and hlolli were looking into this but I don't know how far they got. As far as I know John has already sent Richard the full archives so maybe things are already underway.

Date2021-12-21 21:12
FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd] GEN02 values...
The collection on codemist.co.uk is mail from Feb 1997 to Nov 1999