Re: [Csnd] new mp3 player

SubjectRe: [Csnd] new mp3 player
only the other way round, mp3 to other formats.

Maybe the patent is gone now and we can make an encoder. Does anyone know?

> On 9 Oct 2019, at 21:50, Cacophony7  wrote:
>
> I got a new mp3 player but it only plays MP3s and not WAVs.
> All I have is Csound on my computer and I don't have proper software that
> converts WAVs to MP3s.
> I need an opcode that does that. I forgot to bring my USB flash drive with
> me; maybe all I need is Audacity.
> I only get internet access from the library.
>
> Csound can convert.. can it?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] new mp3 player
Audacity can do it.

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 4:57 PM john <jpff@codemist.co.uk> wrote:
No; due to a history of patents libsndfile does not read or wrte mP3
format.  We usea separate library to read MP3s but there is no writng.

There is a semi-active project to add MP3s to libsndfile now the patents
have expired, but that will take a while yet.

Until the I use lame to take wav to mp3, but more often I use ogg.....
==John ff

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019, Cacophony7 wrote:

> I got a new mp3 player but it only plays MP3s and not WAVs.
> All I have is Csound on my computer and I don't have proper software that
> converts WAVs to MP3s.
> I need an opcode that does that. I forgot to bring my USB flash drive with
> me; maybe all I need is Audacity.
> I only get internet access from the library.
>
> Csound can convert.. can it?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd] new mp3 player
No; due to a history of patents libsndfile does not read or wrte mP3
format.  We usea separate library to read MP3s but there is no writng.

There is a semi-active project to add MP3s to libsndfile now the patents
have expired, but that will take a while yet.

Until the I use lame to take wav to mp3, but more often I use ogg.....
==John ff

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019, Cacophony7 wrote:

> I got a new mp3 player but it only plays MP3s and not WAVs.
> All I have is Csound on my computer and I don't have proper software that
> converts WAVs to MP3s.
> I need an opcode that does that. I forgot to bring my USB flash drive with
> me; maybe all I need is Audacity.
> I only get internet access from the library.
>
> Csound can convert.. can it?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromCacophony7
Subject[Csnd] new mp3 player
I got a new mp3 player but it only plays MP3s and not WAVs.
All I have is Csound on my computer and I don't have proper software that
converts WAVs to MP3s.
I need an opcode that does that. I forgot to bring my USB flash drive with
me; maybe all I need is Audacity.
I only get internet access from the library.

Csound can convert.. can it?

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

SubjectRe: [Csnd] new mp3 player
I also use lame to convert to mp3.

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 4:57 PM john  wrote:

> No; due to a history of patents libsndfile does not read or wrte mP3
> format.  We usea separate library to read MP3s but there is no writng.
>
> There is a semi-active project to add MP3s to libsndfile now the patents
> have expired, but that will take a while yet.
>
> Until the I use lame to take wav to mp3, but more often I use ogg.....
> ==John ff
>

> On Wed, 9 Oct 2019, Cacophony7 wrote:
>
> > I got a new mp3 player but it only plays MP3s and not WAVs.
> > All I have is Csound on my computer and I don't have proper software that
> > converts WAVs to MP3s.
> > I need an opcode that does that. I forgot to bring my USB flash drive with
> > me; maybe all I need is Audacity.
> > I only get internet access from the library.
> >
> > Csound can convert.. can it?
> >

> > --
> > Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

> > Send bugs reports to
> >        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd] new mp3 player
Slight update.  The version of Csound in github includes a new opcde
mp3out that does just that.  Currently undocumented while we sort out the
controls on quality andbirtae etc.  It should be in the next release (or
can be built from source) unless libsndfie get MP3 support before then.

Thank you for te incentive to do this.

==John ff

On Wed, 9 Oct 2019, Cacophony7 wrote:

> I got a new mp3 player but it only plays MP3s and not WAVs.
> All I have is Csound on my computer and I don't have proper software that
> converts WAVs to MP3s.
> I need an opcode that does that. I forgot to bring my USB flash drive with
> me; maybe all I need is Audacity.
> I only get internet access from the library.
>
> Csound can convert.. can it?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromDavid Bellows
SubjectRe: [Csnd] new mp3 player
John ff,

> The version of Csound in github includes a new opcde
mp3out that does just that.  Currently undocumented while we sort out the
controls on quality andbirtae etc.  It should be in the next release (or
can be built from source) unless libsndfie get MP3 support before then.

This is great news! I first asked about this a couple of years ago
which lead to issue #791: https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/791

This will definitely make a big part of my project much smoother.
Thanks for your work on this!

Dave