[Csnd] midinoteoff isn't right!

Date2019-11-09 23:42
FromPete Goodeve
Subject[Csnd] midinoteoff isn't right!
AttachmentsNone  None  NoteOff.csd  OnOff.mid

Date2019-11-10 01:58
FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] midinoteoff isn't right!
AttachmentsNone

Date2019-11-10 02:41
FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] midinoteoff isn't right!
AttachmentsNone  None  NoteOff.csd

SubjectRe: [Csnd] midinoteoff isn't right!
Michael Gogins is the author. Maybe he can clarify the kind of usage this is supposed to have.

The manual says velocity when the note was activated, which appears to mean noteon velocity.

> On 10 Nov 2019, at 02:42, Pete Goodeve  wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 09, 2019 at 05:58:29PM -0800, Pete Goodeve wrote:
>> On further investigation I'm sorry to say that it looks
>> as if midinoteoff does not work at all!
>>
>> It's triggered at the *start* of the note, not at the end,
>> so it couldn't possibly get the release velocity.
>>
>> I'm attaching an expanded test csd, with timing and raw midi
>> added.
>
> And of course I forgot to attach it... Let me try again.

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] midinoteoff isn't right!
The code is exactly the same as midinoteon btw.  No idea how this
opcode is supposed to work with the code that is in repo at the
moment.

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 12:32 PM Victor Lazzarini
 wrote:

> Michael Gogins is the author. Maybe he can clarify the kind of usage this is supposed to have.
>
> The manual says velocity when the note was activated, which appears to mean noteon velocity.

> > On 10 Nov 2019, at 02:42, Pete Goodeve  wrote:
> >
> >> On Sat, Nov 09, 2019 at 05:58:29PM -0800, Pete Goodeve wrote:
> >> On further investigation I'm sorry to say that it looks
> >> as if midinoteoff does not work at all!
> >>
> >> It's triggered at the *start* of the note, not at the end,
> >> so it couldn't possibly get the release velocity.
> >>
> >> I'm attaching an expanded test csd, with timing and raw midi
> >> added.
> >
> > And of course I forgot to attach it... Let me try again.
> >

> > Csound mailing list
> > Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] midinoteoff isn't right!
AttachmentsNone

Date2019-11-12 07:54
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] midinoteoff isn't right!
Might not be a bad idea to add that UDO to the midinoteoff manual page?

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 at 00:52, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@computer.org> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 05:32:03PM +0000, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
> Michael Gogins is the author. Maybe he can clarify the kind of usage this is supposed to have.
>
> The manual says velocity when the note was activated, which appears to mean noteon velocity.

I read it as meaning activation by the note-off message.
That's what I would have expected, anyway.

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 01:54:17PM -0500, Steven Yi wrote:
> The code is exactly the same as midinoteon btw.  No idea how this
> opcode is supposed to work with the code that is in repo at the
> moment.

So I see!  I didn't try to penetrate all that MIDI code too deeply,
but I have a feeling that quite a bit of stuff would need to be added.

ATM, it seems to me that a UDO is a better workaround. Here's a quickie that
seems to work:

opcode MidiNoteOff, k, ii
        ichan, ikey xin
        kstatus, kchan, kdata1, kdata2 midiin
        xout (kstatus == 128 && kchan == ichan && kdata1 == ikey)? kdata2 : -1
endop

It's a pity that 0 is a legal release velocity -- means having to check
for non-negative return.)

        -- Pete --