[Csnd] Request for musical Csound examples

Date2020-07-23 11:08
FromKevin Welsh
Subject[Csnd] Request for musical Csound examples

Hello again Everyone,

As another part of our efforts to improve and refresh the Csound manual, we would like to find musical examples for as many opcodes as possible.

Ideally these should be short and concise examples, possibly around 30-60 seconds long or so and not excessive on score line entries. They can be composed in any musical style, but should still be able to showcase a specific opcode.

The example should be self contained, preferably not using samples or include files other than those already packaged with the manual (fox.wav, beats.wav, etc). They can be new creations, or excerpts from existing pieces... but please only submit code that you can grant permission for its use!

If you have any examples you would like to submit:

If you would like your submission to remain anonymous, please mention when you submit. Otherwise we will assume credit should be given.

Thanks for helping us improve the manual while also showing off some of the power and flexibility of Csound!

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Request for musical Csound examples
great initiatives, kevin and menno!  thanks and hope you enjoy working
on it!
	joachim

On 23/07/2020 12:08, Kevin Welsh wrote:
> Hello again Everyone,
>
> As another part of our efforts to improve and refresh the Csound manual,
> we would like to find musical examples for as many opcodes as possible.
>
> Ideally these should be short and concise examples, possibly around
> 30-60 seconds long or so and not excessive on score line entries. They
> can be composed in any musical style, but should still be able to
> showcase a specific opcode.
>
> The example should be self contained, preferably not using samples or
> include files other than those already packaged with the manual
> (fox.wav, beats.wav, etc). They can be new creations, or excerpts from
> existing pieces... but please only submit code that you can grant
> permission for its use!
>
> If you have any examples you would like to submit:
>
>   * You can open an issue on GitHub against the manual here:
>     https://github.com/csound/manual/issues/new
>   * You can submit it to us in #manual on Slack
>
> If you would like your submission to remain anonymous, please mention
> when you submit. Otherwise we will assume credit should be given.
>
> Thanks for helping us improve the manual while also showing off some of
> the power and flexibility of Csound!

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
> can be posted here

SubjectRe: [Csnd] Request for musical Csound examples
... and stefano ...

On 23/07/2020 21:14, joachim heintz wrote:
> great initiatives, kevin and menno!  thanks and hope you enjoy working
> on it!
>      joachim
>

> On 23/07/2020 12:08, Kevin Welsh wrote:
>> Hello again Everyone,
>>
>> As another part of our efforts to improve and refresh the Csound
>> manual, we would like to find musical examples for as many opcodes as
>> possible.
>>
>> Ideally these should be short and concise examples, possibly around
>> 30-60 seconds long or so and not excessive on score line entries. They
>> can be composed in any musical style, but should still be able to
>> showcase a specific opcode.
>>
>> The example should be self contained, preferably not using samples or
>> include files other than those already packaged with the manual
>> (fox.wav, beats.wav, etc). They can be new creations, or excerpts from
>> existing pieces... but please only submit code that you can grant
>> permission for its use!
>>
>> If you have any examples you would like to submit:
>>
>>   * You can open an issue on GitHub against the manual here:
>>     https://github.com/csound/manual/issues/new
>>   * You can submit it to us in #manual on Slack
>>
>> If you would like your submission to remain anonymous, please mention
>> when you submit. Otherwise we will assume credit should be given.
>>
>> Thanks for helping us improve the manual while also showing off some
>> of the power and flexibility of Csound!

>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>> features can be posted here

>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Request for musical Csound examples
Just an additional question/suggestion to this:
Would it be an idea to also invite compositions and musical examples that can not directly be generated from score and Csound code alone? I would think it a special case for me if I make some music exclusively from the score. Usually I would wrap the Csound instruments as an effect and then improvise with live input, or have it be controlled by a live data input from somewhere, or use Csound to produce samples that again would undergo several iterations of further editing and cross-pollination with other materials. Perhaps we would need a separate category of musical examples for this, just so that we can distinguish it from "clean and reproducible" musical examples? Perhaps we should also suggest that the composer describes briefly how the opcode in question was used and (as a minimum) point to a time location in the piece where the opcode is featured prominently.

tor. 23. jul. 2020 kl. 12:08 skrev Kevin Welsh <tgrey1@gmail.com>:

[...]

FromJustin Smith
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Request for musical Csound examples
I'd like to see examples of this sort of work actually. When I develop
things meant to do live processing, I use a sound file as input so I
don't have to switch between my instrument and the computer keyboard
as I develop, a manual example could do the same.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 2:36 AM Oeyvind Brandtsegg  wrote:

> Just an additional question/suggestion to this:
> Would it be an idea to also invite compositions and musical examples that can not directly be generated from score and Csound code alone? I would think it a special case for me if I make some music exclusively from the score. Usually I would wrap the Csound instruments as an effect and then improvise with live input, or have it be controlled by a live data input from somewhere, or use Csound to produce samples that again would undergo several iterations of further editing and cross-pollination with other materials. Perhaps we would need a separate category of musical examples for this, just so that we can distinguish it from "clean and reproducible" musical examples? Perhaps we should also suggest that the composer describes briefly how the opcode in question was used and (as a minimum) point to a time location in the piece where the opcode is featured prominently.
>
> tor. 23. jul. 2020 kl. 12:08 skrev Kevin Welsh :
>>
>> Hello again Everyone,
>>
>> As another part of our efforts to improve and refresh the Csound manual, we would like to find musical examples for as many opcodes as possible.
>>
>> Ideally these should be short and concise examples, possibly around 30-60 seconds long or so and not excessive on score line entries. They can be composed in any musical style, but should still be able to showcase a specific opcode.
>>
>> The example should be self contained, preferably not using samples or include files other than those already packaged with the manual (fox.wav, beats.wav, etc). They can be new creations, or excerpts from existing pieces... but please only submit code that you can grant permission for its use!
>>
>> If you have any examples you would like to submit:
>>
>> You can open an issue on GitHub against the manual here: https://github.com/csound/manual/issues/new
>> You can submit it to us in #manual on Slack
>>
>> If you would like your submission to remain anonymous, please mention when you submit. Otherwise we will assume credit should be given.
>>
>> Thanks for helping us improve the manual while also showing off some of the power and flexibility of Csound!

FromKevin Welsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Request for musical Csound examples

> Would it be an idea to also invite compositions and musical examples that can not directly be generated from score and Csound code alone?

Absolutely!  Any internal compositional method is ok for the musical examples.  The comment about scorelines was really just that we don't want excessively long "reading" examples either.  We didn't want to set specific limits on anything, but just make suggestions that it should be short-ish and not a complete opus.

I'd probably suggest avoiding external dependencies such as python etc for the generation of events, since we'd like to keep these possible for all users to run on all systems without additional requirements.

As far as live input, not all users will have a midi keyboard, or a microphone either.  So for opcodes that don't require input devices, I think it's best to avoid them.  We would like these to be reproducible by anyone, so again compatibility should be considered.

We are also discussing a starting "showcase" for more complex pieces, longer pieces, things that require more samples or devices, etc... but to keep the download size of the manual as small as possible, we'd like to consider those as a separate effort and keep them in their own repository.

A lot of this is also up for discussion, and this reply hasn't been "vetted" as a team or anything... so consider this my opinion and open to change if the community seems to want to go a different direction.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 5:36 AM Oeyvind Brandtsegg <obrandts@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

FromGuillermo Senna
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Request for musical Csound examples

How about Hans Mikelson's Halloween piece (http://www.csounds.com/mikelson/) for using it as an example or showcase? Just remembered that piece and how well done it was.

Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
can be posted here

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Request for musical Csound examples
Yes

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music

wrote:

[...]

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Request for musical Csound examples
AttachmentsNone