[Csnd] Some help in filtering audio

Date2020-04-21 18:26
FromFrancesco Porta
Subject[Csnd] Some help in filtering audio
Hello All,
i'm try to work on a piece where i need to trigger some event when input has a particular frequency.
I use a onset detection udo (from Heintz) that will start an analysis on input.
Then i need to have another trigger when analysis find only a frequency (i.e. D2, ~73 Hz).
I know it is a difficult task because i'm working with a guitar in input (not only! Classical guitar
using laptop built in microphone!!!).
I tried to use a filtered signal as input for analysis trying to
cut high frequency or bandpass or resonance on my frequency but my attempt are failing
because some other frequency (i suspect harmonic partial) will trigger.
Anyone has some idea of what i can do?

many thanks for any hints,
ciao,
francesco.

FromJana Hübenthal
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Some help in filtering audio
Hi Francesco,

do you play single notes or chords? If you are on single notes,
sometimes raising the signal level with limiting afterwards helps with
frequency detection issues (Result is a more rectangular signal with
harmonics suppressed by some amount). Further, I would recommend a
separate microphone (clip-on for acoustic guitars). You get much too
much influence from room acoustics in your current setup.

Best,
Jana

Am 21.04.20 um 19:26 schrieb Francesco Porta:
> Hello All,
> i'm try to work on a piece where i need to trigger some event when input has a particular frequency.
> I use a onset detection udo (from Heintz) that will start an analysis on input.
> Then i need to have another trigger when analysis find only a frequency (i.e. D2, ~73 Hz).
> I know it is a difficult task because i'm working with a guitar in input (not only! Classical guitar
> using laptop built in microphone!!!).
> I tried to use a filtered signal as input for analysis trying to
> cut high frequency or bandpass or resonance on my frequency but my attempt are failing
> because some other frequency (i suspect harmonic partial) will trigger.
> Anyone has some idea of what i can do?
>
> many thanks for any hints,
> ciao,
> francesco.

>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Some help in filtering audio
Agree that the audio input needs to be as clean as possible. Pitch tracking is quite sensitive to noise. You can also try different pith tracking methods (ptrack, plltrack, pitchamdf).
When using ptrack, do *not* filter out the higher harmonic content, as this will defeat what the algorithm attempts to do (find correlations between harmonics and then deduce the fundamental).