[Csnd] unlinked sites in csound.com

Date2019-11-02 23:09
FromCsounder Csounder <0000017e1be09e0e-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject[Csnd] unlinked sites in csound.com
Why there is not a link in csound.com to

Probably we are loosing great sites for being unconected to www.csound.com

Date2019-11-03 02:14
FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] unlinked sites in csound.com
AttachmentsNone

Date2019-11-03 12:10
FromBernard Geyer
SubjectRe: [Csnd] unlinked sites in csound.com
Yes, even the basic documentations are not available as links!

All I found is thru google search.

This helps, of course, to find the stuff in google search:
site:csounds.com/
site:csounds.com/resources/

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

SubjectRe: [Csnd] unlinked sites in csound.com
Well, we can extend that question to just be:

"Why isn't there a link to [insert url] on csound.com?"

Do you have a suggestion as to where would be a good place to add such a link? The site needs maintenance and volunteers (either people making suggestions or people implementing things).  Making a suggestion to "could we add a page that links to various sites like xyz" would be a great way to contribute back to the community.

That said, there's a number of sites that might be nice to have links to on csound.com. I don't think anyone's left these out intentionally. We also have links and site organization that are on the site that don't make sense (to me at least).

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 8:53 PM Csounder Csounder <0000017e1be09e0e-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
Why there is not a link in csound.com to

Probably we are loosing great sites for being unconected to www.csound.com

SubjectRe: [Csnd] unlinked sites in csound.com
What do you mean by basic documentation? There's a whole "Learn" menu on csound.com that has links to the Reference manual, FLOSS manual, Getting Started page, and more.

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 6:58 AM Bernard Geyer <micamusic2@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes, even the basic documentations are not available as links!

All I found is thru google search.

This helps, of course, to find the stuff in google search:
site:csounds.com/
site:csounds.com/resources/

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

SubjectRe: [Csnd] unlinked sites in csound.com
Older versions of csounds.com are already viewable on archive.org, i.e.:

You can go back through the various years and see how the site changed.

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 10:14 PM Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@computer.org> wrote:
On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 11:09:28PM +0000, Csounder Csounder wrote:
> Why there is not a link in csound.com tohttp://www.csounds.com/mikelson/     ?
>
> Probably we are loosing great sites for being unconected to www.csound.com

It seems that csounds.com is largely dormant now. (:-()  There are no links
left on its own home page, except back to csound.com.   There must be a
whole hierarchy of stuff that's now inaccessible unless you have kept a
link.  I remember other Csounders had their work available there.

Maybe somebody can do a recovery job?

        -- Pete --

FromBernard Geyer
SubjectRe: [Csnd] unlinked sites in csound.com
> What do you mean by basic documentation? There's a whole "Learn" menu on
csound.com that has links to the Reference manual, FLOSS manual, Getting
Started page, and more.

Sorry, you are right.
On the beginning I confused csound.com with csounds.com

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] unlinked sites in csound.com
AttachmentsNone

SubjectRe: [Csnd] unlinked sites in csound.com
As I mentioned on my other reply, I don't know of any particular reason any of these links are left out. It sounds like you want something to be done, but I can't guess what it is. So, what do you think should happen?

Do you want csounds.com to change? You'll have to talk to Dr. B, he owns that domain and site.

Do you want links to be added to csound.com?  Make a request here or file an issue at https://github.com/csound/csound.github.io/ and mention where you think would be a good place for them to be. I'm sure someone will take up the task.

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 5:41 PM Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@computer.org> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 07:46:46AM -0500, Steven Yi wrote:
> Older versions of csounds.com are already viewable on archive.org, i.e.:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20150426044952/http://www.csounds.com/
>
> You can go back through the various years and see how the site changed.

Oh, yes.  I always forget about that facility.  Interesting to browse.
But as the pages themselves still exist on the web, even if they aren't
accessible, why not provide some direct pointers?

For reference, I get a 'Forbidden' on http://csounds.com/resources,
but Hans Mikelson's stuff and everyone else's can still be found at

  http://csounds.com/resources/audio

        -- Pete --

Frompete.goodeve@COMPUTER.ORG
SubjectRe: [Csnd] unlinked sites in csound.com
AttachmentsNone

Date2019-11-04 01:17
FromChristian Bacher <000005d2745f1ec0-dmarc-request@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
SubjectRe: [Csnd] unlinked sites in csound.com
hi,

well i will  throw in a topic in this discussion from another side:

it was very confusing for me as a new user of csound to realize the
difference from csounds.com to csound.com.

when i google e.g. the terms "csound ramdom" i will get only links to
the 3-4 years old documentation from csounds.com.

annoying, as i am used to quick type in google and get appropriate results.

and (even worse)  the docs on csounds.com don't tell me that this is an
very old version and

if i go up to  the opcode reference i wonder why there are lots of
opcodes missing.

isnt it possible to have a single source and make it clear?

i understand that there is some work to do e.g. get rid of the old docs
by redirecting etc. but i think it could have a value.

sure using site:http://csound.github.io/ would help but hard to
understand and realize as a new user ...

best, Christian

On 11/4/19 1:42 AM, pete.goodeve@COMPUTER.ORG wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 06:47:47PM -0500, Steven Yi wrote:
>> As I mentioned on my other reply, I don't know of any particular reason any
>> of these links are left out. It sounds like you want something to be done,
>> but I can't guess what it is. So, what do you think should happen?
> Hmm, sorry -- I wasn't  really intending to make any specific suggestion.
> It's just that I remember csounds.com being a useful resource in days past.
> I was also commenting on the original post asking why there were no links.
>> Do you want csounds.com to change? You'll have to talk to Dr. B, he owns
>> that domain and site.
> Ah.  Well, perhaps he's willing to make its contents a bit more available.
> As I remember 'csounds.com' predates 'csound.com' by a few years, and
> the two names are rather confusable.  But there's quite a bit of historical
> content there that would be a shame to lose, and curretly can't be reached
> from the site itself.
>> Do you want links to be added to csound.com?  Make a request here or file
>> an issue at https://github.com/csound/csound.github.io/ and mention where
>> you think would be a good place for them to be. I'm sure someone will take
>> up the task.
>>
> It does seem a bit odd that 'csound.com' completely ignores 'csounds.com'.
> I'd have thought that a link or two on the csound 'Community' page would be
> appropriate.  Linking to the main page would be useless currently,
> as there's nothing there, but the sub-pages, like 'csounds.com/resources/audio'
> are reachable and have interesting content.  (I only found them through your
> Wayback Machine reference, and extracting links. from there)
>
> Hope that clears things up.  I guess it may be up to what Dr.B. wants to do.
>
> 	-- Pete --

>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] unlinked sites in csound.com
No, unfortunately, it doesn't really clear up anything for me. I still don't understand what you would like to see happen now.

Also, saying "'csound.com' completely ignores 'csounds.com'" is, to me, just wrong.  If you go to any page on csound.com under Community there is a direct link to csounds.com in the right-hand sidebar. There have been links back to csounds.com since csound.com got started as far back as I can remember, back before csounds.com changed to the simple front page it has today. (The links and organization of csound.com as a whole may not be great, but that is a whole another matter.)  csounds.com changed, no one made a request for updates on csound.com since.

Anyways, there are pages you think should be accessible from csound.com. You mention you would have thought it would be on the 'Community' page, which is currently:

which is a listing of places to have discussions, rather than websites. There are sub-pages accessible from the menu that pops up when you go over "Community" on csound.com. Is there somewhere else there you think might work?  Or do you (or anyone else) have a suggestion as to where might be a good place to have these links?

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 7:42 PM <pete.goodeve@computer.org> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 03, 2019 at 06:47:47PM -0500, Steven Yi wrote:
> As I mentioned on my other reply, I don't know of any particular reason any
> of these links are left out. It sounds like you want something to be done,
> but I can't guess what it is. So, what do you think should happen?

Hmm, sorry -- I wasn't  really intending to make any specific suggestion.
It's just that I remember csounds.com being a useful resource in days past.
I was also commenting on the original post asking why there were no links.

> Do you want csounds.com to change? You'll have to talk to Dr. B, he owns
> that domain and site.

Ah.  Well, perhaps he's willing to make its contents a bit more available.
As I remember 'csounds.com' predates 'csound.com' by a few years, and
the two names are rather confusable.  But there's quite a bit of historical
content there that would be a shame to lose, and curretly can't be reached
from the site itself.

> Do you want links to be added to csound.com?  Make a request here or file
> an issue at https://github.com/csound/csound.github.io/ and mention where
> you think would be a good place for them to be. I'm sure someone will take
> up the task.

It does seem a bit odd that 'csound.com' completely ignores 'csounds.com'.
I'd have thought that a link or two on the csound 'Community' page would be
appropriate.  Linking to the main page would be useless currently,
as there's nothing there, but the sub-pages, like 'csounds.com/resources/audio'
are reachable and have interesting content.  (I only found them through your
Wayback Machine reference, and extracting links. from there)

Hope that clears things up.  I guess it may be up to what Dr.B. wants to do.

        -- Pete --

SubjectRe: [Csnd] unlinked sites in csound.com
csounds.com predates csound.com and documentation was hosted there in the past. It also used to be the main page for Csound before the community-run site formed. It's come up before that the docs on csounds.com are not up to date and requests were made that they be taken down and redirects added but unfortunately nothing has happened yet. I suppose all one can do is keep advocating for it.

csound.github.io : probably no on should use that link since it is a bit obscure of a URL. It just redirects to csound.com now which makes sense to me.

One thing to note, Csound has some 34 years of history, a lot of it on the web, and there's a lot of old information out there. It's a problem not unique to csound though; I get similar issues if I look up "Java Stringbuffer" and see documentation from Java 7 and 6 as the top links. (As of right now, Java 13 is the latest, and StringBuilder was added and recommended for most people to use over StringBuffer, which isn't easily understood from the StringBuffer links in Google).  And Java has *only* been around since 1995. I suppose the more people link to information on csound.com the higher it will go up in page ranks on search engines.

On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 8:27 PM Christian Bacher <000005d2745f1ec0-dmarc-request@listserv.heanet.ie> wrote:
> [...]

>> you think would be a good place for them to be. I'm sure someone will take
>> up the task.
>>
> It does seem a bit odd that 'csound.com' completely ignores 'csounds.com'.
> I'd have thought that a link or two on the csound 'Community' page would be
> appropriate.  Linking to the main page would be useless currently,
> as there's nothing there, but the sub-pages, like 'csounds.com/resources/audio'
> are reachable and have interesting content.  (I only found them through your
> Wayback Machine reference, and extracting links. from there)
>
> Hope that clears things up.  I guess it may be up to what Dr.B. wants to do.
>
>       -- Pete --

>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Frompete.goodeve@COMPUTER.ORG
SubjectRe: [Csnd] unlinked sites in csound.com
AttachmentsNone

SubjectRe: [Csnd] unlinked sites in csound.com
yes it is confusing, and this confusion is also visible in the subject
of this thread: it is actually about csoundS.com, not csound.com.

as steven mentioned, this all has historical reasons.  the domain
csound.com could not be used by us until few years ago.

one simple solution would be that csounds.com redirects to csound.com.
there were suggestions to do so, but richard boulanger wanted to keep
csounds.com for boulanger labs.

what i find misleading when i go to csounds.com is:
- the inscription "The Csound Community"
- the copyright as "Csound.org" (which does not exist ...)
- no contact is provided

complaints and suggestions must go to richard, not to csound.com.

	joachim

On 04/11/19 02:17, Christian Bacher wrote:
> [...]
>>> file
>>> an issue at https://github.com/csound/csound.github.io/ and mention
>>> where
>>> you think would be a good place for them to be. I'm sure someone will
>>> take
>>> up the task.
>>>
>> It does seem a bit odd that 'csound.com' completely ignores
>> 'csounds.com'.
>> I'd have thought that a link or two on the csound 'Community' page
>> would be
>> appropriate.  Linking to the main page would be useless currently,
>> as there's nothing there, but the sub-pages, like
>> 'csounds.com/resources/audio'
>> are reachable and have interesting content.  (I only found them
>> through your
>> Wayback Machine reference, and extracting links. from there)
>>
>> Hope that clears things up.  I guess it may be up to what Dr.B. wants

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd] unlinked sites in csound.com
A simple redirect from csound'S'.com to csound.com, and csounds.com/manual to csound.com/manual would be great. And it would still allow other links from csounds.com to be accessible, so historical links would still be valid, which I think is Richard's main concern.