[Csnd] UDO for onset (attack) detection

Subject[Csnd] UDO for onset (attack) detection
hi all -

i want to share a UDO which claims to detect attacks / onsets and can
also be used for intensity estimation of the detected events:
https://github.com/csudo/csudo/blob/master/misc/OnDtct.csd

comments and improvements are welcome, of course.

best -

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] UDO for onset (attack) detection
That looks pretty cool.

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 7:41 AM joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de> wrote:
hi all -

i want to share a UDO which claims to detect attacks / onsets and can
also be used for intensity estimation of the detected events:
https://github.com/csudo/csudo/blob/master/misc/OnDtct.csd

comments and improvements are welcome, of course.

best -

FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd] UDO for onset (attack) detection
AttachmentsNone  None  onset-detection-udo.orc

Date2020-01-06 21:30
FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] UDO for onset (attack) detection
Thanks Joachim.
It looks as if you UDO use the same approach as my old one (the one that Tarmo mentions), except that your code is much cleaner and more effective than mine.
Nice! Your code is beautiful.
One slight difference though is that I use follow2 for the amplitude follower instead of rms (but I do this outside of the UDO). The upside of using follow2 is that you can have a fast attack and slow decay, which might give less chance of false double trigging.
all best, and thanks
Oeyvind

man. 6. jan. 2020 kl. 13:36 skrev Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com>:
Hi!

Nice, clean clear example! I tried a bit with live input and got fairly good results (playing the flute) with

kOnset,kRms OnDtct aSound, 12, 0.5, -20

(it was laptop's internal microphone, hence the high noise threshold)

By the way, Oeyvind has a nice (a bit more complex) onset detection UDO that I attach to the email.

Thanks!
tarmo

On Jan 5 2020, at 2:41 pm, joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de> wrote:
hi all -

i want to share a UDO which claims to detect attacks / onsets and can
also be used for intensity estimation of the detected events:

comments and improvements are welcome, of course.

best -

SubjectRe: [Csnd] UDO for onset (attack) detection
thanks oeyvind!  yes definitely i think one approach is not enough for
this huge world of different attacks / onsets / accents.  i have also a
code from vincent michalke which uses fft -- for some situations this
might be very useful, but for my sounds it was not necessary and i tried
to reduce it to a simple solution.
if you like, let us add your code as OnDtct2 or whatever to the
collection.  you can send it to me just as csd in the format i use here
in this udo collection, if you don't want to send a pull request.
cheers -
	joachim

On 06/01/2020 22:30, Oeyvind Brandtsegg wrote:
> Thanks Joachim.
> It looks as if you UDO use the same approach as my old one (the one that
> Tarmo mentions), except that your code is much cleaner and more
> effective than mine.
> Nice! Your code is beautiful.
> One slight difference though is that I use follow2 for the amplitude
> follower instead of rms (but I do this outside of the UDO). The upside
> of using follow2 is that you can have a fast attack and slow decay,
> which might give less chance of false double trigging.
> all best, and thanks
> Oeyvind
>

> man. 6. jan. 2020 kl. 13:36 skrev Tarmo Johannes  >:
>
>     Hi!
>
>     Nice, clean clear example! I tried a bit with live input and got
>     fairly good results (playing the flute) with
>
>     kOnset,kRms OnDtct aSound, 12, 0.5, -20
>
>     (it was laptop's internal microphone, hence the high noise threshold)
>

>     By the way, Oeyvind has a nice (a bit more complex) onset detection
>     UDO that I attach to the email.
>
>     Thanks!
>     tarmo
>

>     On Jan 5 2020, at 2:41 pm, joachim heintz      > wrote:
>
>         hi all -
>
>         i want to share a UDO which claims to detect attacks / onsets
>         and can
>         also be used for intensity estimation of the detected events:
>         https://github.com/csudo/csudo/blob/master/misc/OnDtct.csd
>
>         comments and improvements are welcome, of course.
>
>         best -
>         joachim
>
>         Csound mailing list
>         Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>         https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>         Send bugs reports to
>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>         Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>     https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>     features can be posted here

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
> can be posted here

FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd] UDO for onset (attack) detection
AttachmentsNone

Date2020-01-08 01:52
FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd] UDO for onset (attack) detection
Schedulek is new and might be in 6.14 to be released soon

⁣Sent from TypeApp ​

Frompete.goodeve@COMPUTER.ORG
SubjectRe: [Csnd] UDO for onset (attack) detection
AttachmentsNone

SubjectRe: [Csnd] UDO for onset (attack) detection
oh yes, thanks for the hint, i did not notice this.  i will replace it
for this site with the event opcode.  not important here.
best -

On 08/01/2020 03:39, pete.goodeve@COMPUTER.ORG wrote:
> Very new, I guess... (:-/)  It's not in the "6.14" source I pulled over at the beginning
> of October!
>
> Thanks,
>
> 	-- Pete --
>
> On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 01:52:22AM +0000, John ff wrote:
>> Schedulek is new and might be in 6.14 to be released soon
>>

>> ⁣Sent from TypeApp ​

>>> I went to check this out, but it immediately fails with
>>>      .... unexpected T_IDENTB  (token "schedulek")...
>>>
>>> and for sure, I can't find an opcode "schedulek" anywhere (Csound
>>> 6.14)!
>>>
>>> What am I missing?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> 	-- Pete --
>>>
>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromRichard
SubjectRe: [Csnd] UDO for onset (attack) detection
One of my goals is to create a reverse track effect. E.g. on a guitar
solo track. Each note would have to be reversed (not the whole track)

For this I would have to find the start and end location of each note
and then reverse it. This UDO could help to find the start location,
not sure about the end location...

Richard

On 08/01/2020 09:50, joachim heintz wrote:
> oh yes, thanks for the hint, i did not notice this.  i will replace it
> for this site with the event opcode.  not important here.
> best -
>

> On 08/01/2020 03:39, pete.goodeve@COMPUTER.ORG wrote:
>> Very new, I guess... (:-/)  It's not in the "6.14" source I pulled
>> over at the beginning
>> of October!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>     -- Pete --
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 01:52:22AM +0000, John ff wrote:
>>> Schedulek is new and might be in 6.14 to be released soon
>>>

>>> ⁣Sent from TypeApp ​

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>
>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

SubjectRe: [Csnd] UDO for onset (attack) detection
why don't you set an amplitude threshold? Once the sound falls below that, it's the end, unless there is another onset before it (then that is the end).

> On 8 Jan 2020, at 20:52, Richard  wrote:
>
> One of my goals is to create a reverse track effect. E.g. on a guitar solo track. Each note would have to be reversed (not the whole track)
>
> For this I would have to find the start and end location of each note and then reverse it. This UDO could help to find the start location,
> not sure about the end location...
>
> Richard
>

>> On 08/01/2020 09:50, joachim heintz wrote:
>> oh yes, thanks for the hint, i did not notice this.  i will replace it for this site with the event opcode.  not important here.
>> best -
>>

>>> On 08/01/2020 03:39, pete.goodeve@COMPUTER.ORG wrote:
>>> Very new, I guess... (:-/)  It's not in the "6.14" source I pulled over at the beginning
>>> of October!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>>     -- Pete --

>>> Csound mailing list
>>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>>>

>> Csound mailing list
>> Csound@listserv.heanet.ie
>> Send bugs reports to
>>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] UDO for onset (attack) detection
All good.
The file that Tarmo sent originated from me and shows how it can be used.
Does it need another formatting?

man. 6. jan. 2020 kl. 23:38 skrev joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de>:
thanks oeyvind!  yes definitely i think one approach is not enough for
this huge world of different attacks / onsets / accents.  i have also a
code from vincent michalke which uses fft -- for some situations this
might be very useful, but for my sounds it was not necessary and i tried
to reduce it to a simple solution.
if you like, let us add your code as OnDtct2 or whatever to the
collection.  you can send it to me just as csd in the format i use here
in this udo collection, if you don't want to send a pull request.
cheers -
        joachim

On 06/01/2020 22:30, Oeyvind Brandtsegg wrote:
> Thanks Joachim.
> It looks as if you UDO use the same approach as my old one (the one that
> Tarmo mentions), except that your code is much cleaner and more
> effective than mine.
> Nice! Your code is beautiful.
> One slight difference though is that I use follow2 for the amplitude
> follower instead of rms (but I do this outside of the UDO). The upside
> of using follow2 is that you can have a fast attack and slow decay,
> which might give less chance of false double trigging.
> all best, and thanks
> Oeyvind
>

> man. 6. jan. 2020 kl. 13:36 skrev Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com
> <mailto:trmjhnns@gmail.com>>:
>
>     Hi!
>
>     Nice, clean clear example! I tried a bit with live input and got
>     fairly good results (playing the flute) with
>
>     kOnset,kRms OnDtct aSound, 12, 0.5, -20
>
>     (it was laptop's internal microphone, hence the high noise threshold)
>

>     By the way, Oeyvind has a nice (a bit more complex) onset detection
>     UDO that I attach to the email.
>
>     Thanks!
>     tarmo
>

>     On Jan 5 2020, at 2:41 pm, joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de
>     <mailto:jh@joachimheintz.de>> wrote:
>
>         hi all -
>
>         i want to share a UDO which claims to detect attacks / onsets
>         and can
>         also be used for intensity estimation of the detected events:
>         https://github.com/csudo/csudo/blob/master/misc/OnDtct.csd
>
>         comments and improvements are welcome, of course.
>
>         best -
>         joachim
>
>         Csound mailing list
>         Csound@listserv.heanet.ie <mailto:Csound@listserv.heanet.ie>
>         https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
>         Send bugs reports to
>         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>         Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

>     <mailto:Csound@listserv.heanet.ie>
>     https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>     https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
>     features can be posted here

> <mailto:Csound@listserv.heanet.ie>
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features
> can be posted here

SubjectRe: [Csnd] UDO for onset (attack) detection
actually yes:

1. on top of the file a syntax explanation enclosed in
this description will then be automatically extracted to .udo collection
files like here
https://github.com/csudo/csudo/blob/master/misc/misc.udo

2. a full csd with a working example (if using audio files should be in
SourceMaterials).

thanks in advance!