Re: Csound for Zaurus

Date2003-07-29 23:03
From"Iain Duncan"
SubjectRe: Csound for Zaurus
Guess I didn't make what I meant clear in the first place. The sequencer
I've done can be used for both midi output and csound instruments. Obviously
csound instruments are preferable for high res control, but when running
only midi output the cpu demands are very low. The sequencer is controlled
entirely by standard midi input devices, so PC keyboard and mouse aren't
needed. So if one could get csound to run on the Zaurus with midi i/o and no
sound generation, you'd have a very small, portable, and affordable
sequencer brain! Combine that with custom controllers like the www.ucapps.de
ones and one could make a killer portable, customizable, and totally modular
live rig.

Another interesting possibility would be Zauri as modular reprogrammable FX
units. With the Varga 4.23 build we managed to drive an Alpha Juno via midi,
and then bring the audio back into csound to run through a csound mixer
channel complete with super fancy multi filter multi lfo feedback delays.
Sounded amazing, and cpu use for only one mixer channel *appears* to be very
low.

I don't know how many folks on here use regular outboard midi gear as well,
but for those that do this might be well worthwhile.

And another idea I had was a csound based pocket ear training app for the
Zaurus! You could learn anywhere. ; )

Iain