csound in OSX...

Date2004-01-29 22:47
From"Simone Ghetti"
Subjectcsound in OSX...
Hello...I haven't posted in quite some time...

I apologize in advance for this question which I am sure has been asked
numerous times before...I tried searching the archives but couldn't find
much help...

I have been using csound on the pc platform using CsoundWin... I'd like to
start using csound on my laptop running OS X.  I have downloaded Csound
following the CsoundMacPPC link on the csound.com website.  I know that this
version uses the command line and that I need to use the terminal.app to run
csound.  Since I am new to (but very willing to learn) using the
terminal.app I am not sure how to proceed.  Do I need to follow the linux
instructions for installing and running csound?  I would appreciate if
someone could help point me in the right direction...even off the list.  Any
information on running csound through the terminal.app as well as how I can
get more familiar with working through the terminal.app in general would be
a great help.

thanks
sg

From"Matt J. Ingalls"
Subject[CSOUND-DEV:4022] IRCAM header
i seem to remember IRCAM header was being phased out?  on my mac compile,
i dont set the flag, [partially because it seems to mess up the -h flag]
but i just got email from a user that fgenie writes IRCAM files...

i wonder if it would be best to support reading but not writing IRCAM?

of course it all might be moot if libsndfile or something is being put in?

-m

Date2004-01-30 23:48
FromRichard Dobson
Subject[CSOUND-DEV:4023] Re: IRCAM header
I didn't think IRCAM was being phased out (though it's non-portability would be
a reason); but indeed it is moot with libsndfile, which supports a terrifyingly
large number of formats. I really have no idea how we could possihbly cover them
all from the Csound command-line...

Richard Dobson

Matt J. Ingalls wrote:

> i seem to remember IRCAM header was being phased out?  on my mac compile,
> i dont set the flag, [partially because it seems to mess up the -h flag]
> but i just got email from a user that fgenie writes IRCAM files...
>
> i wonder if it would be best to support reading but not writing IRCAM?
>
> of course it all might be moot if libsndfile or something is being put in?
>
> -m

Date2004-01-31 00:51
Fromsteven yi
Subject[CSOUND-DEV:4024] Re: IRCAM header
Perhaps we could deprecate the old flags (-A -W -J etc.) and use
something like:

--format aiff
--bit 16
--type float

the API could maybe have two functions:

audio_out_type** getFileTypes()  // Returns array of structs with info
on out format, bit, type, info
void setFileType(csoundEnv* csound, audio_out_type* audioType)

so that host programs can iterate the supported types to display in
their GUI's or commandline output.  Maybe can use the SF_FORMAT_* enum
in libsndfile as part of the audio_out_type struct to make it easier to
configure in setFileType.

A possible drawback to all of this is breaking CSD's that embed
CsOptions using "classic" flags.

steven

Richard Dobson wrote:

> I didn't think IRCAM was being phased out (though it's non-portability
> would be a reason); but indeed it is moot with libsndfile, which
> supports a terrifyingly large number of formats. I really have no idea
> how we could possihbly cover them all from the Csound command-line...
>
> Richard Dobson

Date2004-01-31 11:05
Fromjpff@codemist.co.uk
Subject[CSOUND-DEV:4027] Re: IRCAM header

 Matt> i seem to remember IRCAM header was being phased out?  on my mac compile,
 Matt> i dont set the flag, [partially because it seems to mess up the -h flag]
 Matt> but i just got email from a user that fgenie writes IRCAM files...

Not by me it is not.  There are real advantages in IRCAM.

 Matt> i wonder if it would be best to support reading but not writing IRCAM?

 Matt> of course it all might be moot if libsndfile or something is being put in?

libsndfile supports IRCAM and at present I can write with it, and most
of soundin works -- the data comes in but does not seem to arrive in
answer vector.  There is a question in writing of how to specify which
of the many many formats to write

==John ffitch