Re: perl / python, was apspec activity: music for single stack

Date2004-04-24 01:22
From"iain duncan"
SubjectRe: perl / python, was apspec activity: music for single stack
I took a look at pmask, and it ( along with cmask ) does seem worth
exploring. However, it is ( fortunately ) quite a different beast than what
I have been working on. I do think there may be good potential in being able
to move data back and forth between the two however. It seems to me that
pmask and cmask are better for essentially "hard algorythmic" writing,
whereas what I am doing is somewhere between that and score writing. My goal
is ultimately to have a very powerful yet dense total environment for making
pattern based music in csound. So I intend people to work directly on the
event lists, using functions to alter them when needed, but the event list
being "home base" so to speak. This meant to be an improvement on inspecting
csound score language directly, and to be an environment that would replace
say Sonar/Cubase/Logic as one's composing pad. Essentially I want something
like an extremely souped up version of Sonar/Cakewalks event editor, but
aimed at making it easy to do complicated programming, if a little
unattractive for simple programming. One will type into the editor much like
a spread sheet, but also be able to run functions that offset, scale, copy,
set, repeat, etc, with far more options than conventional multi-trackers
allow. All meant to be quick to use as well. I aim to have one able to
listen, think, and program, with less time spent on the program part in
order to achieve the desired result. Anyway I will post preliminaries soon!

Iain