Re: A-rate vs K-rate

Date2004-05-28 19:30
FromGabriel Maldonado
SubjectRe: A-rate vs K-rate
iain duncan wrote:
 > Hey Gab, how are the results in audio quality and in cpu cycles
 > different
 > between interp and a()?

They are identical (a() is converted into interp during the orc parsing
stage) , but in my opinion a() is more convenient, because you can use
it directly in the opcode arguments, saving code lines. You should use
a() only in the very last stage, in order to improve speed.

>>For controlling frequency, this is not needed, in most cases.
>

> Yeah, I agree. The only time I've found it noticeable on frequency is in
> situations where a filter envelope is being used with a really fast attack
> and decay and a LOT of extra cut off added through the envelope with the
> resonance cranked. In that case even though the envelope is supposed to be
> controlling filter cutoff in frequency, it winds up contributing greatly to
> amplitude as well. So for percussive filter things ( ie making drum sounds
> the old fashioned way ; ) too low a krate on filter frequency will be
> noticeable.

the issue is that filter cutoff does affect the amplitude of the partial
of a sound. This is the reason of the artifact. If you apply k-rate to
the frequency of a generator, this artifact doesn't appear.