Re: [Csnd] Vim/emacs event editor

Date2003-12-14 11:17
From"Iain Duncan"
SubjectRe: [Csnd] Vim/emacs event editor
Ok, here is an example of a very simple python script and a test file that
shows what a grid might look like. In Vim you can select a block of the file
in visual mode or visual block mode, and then execute my python script to
turn all the numbers into 0s, without touching any markers or screwing up
your column alignment. Hopefully the script can be used as is in Emacs too.

Further instructions for Vim: select your lines in visual mode, then hit the
colon. Your command line will then say:

:'<,'>

You add an ! to it to run a shell command:
:'<,'>! c:/path/python  c:/path/zero.py

And presto they all become 0s. Deliberately simple example here! Don't
forget that if you're in Vim and you're using visual block ( not just
visual ) you need to download this patch:
http://www.erols.com/astronaut/vim/vimscript/vis.vim
and then your command should have a capital B in there too. Just select it
and instead of typing :!, you type :B !. ie

:'<,'>B ! c:/path/python  c:/path/zero.py

I know that looks ugly, but remap it to an unused keystroke or combo and
then it's dead quick. I mapped F2 so I could just grab stuff with a mouse
and automatically get popped into visual block and execute the script.

Turn F2 into "grab and zero".
:map   :B ! c:/path/python c:/path/zero.py

Enjoy! ; )
Iain