Re: [Csnd-dev] 32-bit build with ctcsound 2008ish OS X

Date2018-10-15 02:40
From"Worrall, David"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] 32-bit build with ctcsound 2008ish OS X

And stranger still, libfluidOpcodes.dylib is in place

-rwxrwxr-x  1 root  wheel      67448 AUF 24 12:54 libfluidOpcodes.dylib

Any point in trying a reinstall?

Thanks,

David

Hi Folks,

Sorry for the delay. Recalcitrant student….

The error on instantiation of the latest .dmg on an OS X Yosemite, Version 10.10.5

WARNING: could not open library '/Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/Resources/Opcodes64/libfluidOpcodes.dylib' (-1)

Any clues?

Thanks,

David

---

Prof David Worrall, PhD

Audio Arts and Acoustics

Columbia College Chicago

Wikipedia: David Worrall

Personal research/creative practice website: avatar.com.au

President, International Community for Auditory Display icad.org

From: Csound-developers <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> on behalf of Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@MU.IE>
Date: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 9:31 AM
To: "CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE" <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject: Re: [Csnd-dev] 32-bit build with ctcsound 2008ish OS X

If it is looking for a 64bit library, then the machine should be 64bit. I’ll wait to hear.

Maynooth University,

Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland

Tel: 00 353 7086936

Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

On 10 Oct 2018, at 15:26, Worrall, David <dworrall@COLUM.EDU> wrote:

Hi Victor,

Thanks for your rapid response.

I saw the error briefly on passing – it looked something like ‘couldn’t find 64 bit library.

Sorry to be vague at on point.

I will ascertain see whether it is the version of the OS that’s causing the problem.

If not,  I’ll collate the errors, and in any case, will report back.

Cheers,

David

---

Prof David Worrall, PhD

Audio Arts and Acoustics

Columbia College Chicago

33 E Congress Pkwy Room 601N

Chicago, ILLINOIS, USA 60605

Tel: (1)312.369.8821 Fax: (1)312.369.8427

From: Csound-developers <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> on behalf of Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@MU.IE>

Date: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 6:44 AM

When you say it doesn’t run, what do you mean exactly?

Csound has a universal build and so should work on both 32 and 64 bit machines. But it needs a more

recent OSX (I think 10.7 is the earliest but that might have changed).

best

Maynooth University,

Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland

Tel: 00 353 7086936

Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

On 10 Oct 2018, at 12:21, Worrall, David <dworrall@COLUM.EDU> wrote:

Hi All,

I realize this is hardly a ‘development’ issue, but that someone on this list will be the font of all knowledge on these matters.

I have a student with a 2008ish OS X machine, running python 3. The csound v 6.11 .dmg doesn’t run, so suspect is a 3 bit OS.

I’ve searched unsuccessfully for a 32-bit .dmg that hopefully runs with ctcsound.

The older versions repository on csounds.com doesn’t list 32/64 bit distinctions on the .dmg.

Am I missing something?

Does anyone have a solution/suggestion to this dilemma?

Thanks,

David

---

Prof David Worrall, PhD

Audio Arts and Acoustics

Columbia College Chicago

33 E Congress Pkwy Room 601N

Chicago, ILLINOIS, USA 60605

Tel: (1)312.369.8821 Fax: (1)312.369.8427

Wikipedia: David Worrall

Personal research/creative practice website: avatar.com.au

President, International Community for Auditory Display icad.org

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] 32-bit build with ctcsound 2008ish OS X
It’s likely that some dependency of fluidsynth wasn’t found (fluidsynth itself is provided in the framework
under libs), or that fluidsynth couldn’t be loaded for some reason.
That will prevent you from using the fluid opcodes, but you should still be able to run Csound.
> [...]

>>> I have a student with a 2008ish OS X machine, running python 3. The csound v 6.11 .dmg doesn’t run, so suspect is a 3 bit OS.
>>> I’ve searched unsuccessfully for a 32-bit .dmg that hopefully runs with ctcsound.
>>> The older versions repository on csounds.com doesn’t list 32/64 bit distinctions on the .dmg.
>>> Am I missing something?
>>>
>>> Does anyone have a solution/suggestion to this dilemma?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> David
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Prof David Worrall, PhD
>>> Audio Arts and Acoustics
>>> Columbia College Chicago
>>> 33 E Congress Pkwy Room 601N
>>> Chicago, ILLINOIS, USA 60605
>>> Tel: (1)312.369.8821 Fax: (1)312.369.8427
>>> Wikipedia: David Worrall
>>> Personal research/creative practice website: avatar.com.au

Date2018-10-19 13:05
From"Worrall, David"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] 32-bit build with ctcsound 2008ish OS X

This issue has been resolved. Here’s the exception message:

--Csound version 6.11 (double samples) May 11 2018

[commit: 25b2e8e53bc924526eaad34e0768a5e866638e94]

libsndfile-1.0.28

WARNING: could not open library '/Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/Resources/Opcodes64/libfluidOpcodes.dylib' (-1)

WARNING: could not open library '/Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/Resources/Opcodes64/libjacko.dylib' (-1)

WARNING: could not open library '/Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/Resources/Opcodes64/libjackTransport.dylib' (-1)

WARNING: could not open library '/Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/Resources/Opcodes64/libpmidi.dylib' (-1)

WARNING: could not open library '/Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/Resources/Opcodes64/librtjack.dylib' (-1)

UnifiedCSD:  xxx.csd

Reading CSD failed ... stopping

end of score.          overall amps:      0.0

         overall samples out of range:        0

1 errors in performance

Elapsed time at end of performance: real: 0.001s, CPU: 0.000s

Generated by the following CLI command:

$ csound xxx.csd

The cause of the error was … csound could not find the .csd file.

“Failing to read the file” is accurate, but, expecially for beginners, the cause is not obvious.

Is there some way the code might be modified to generate a more user-centered error message?

“file not found” comes to mind.

This prompted me to wonder whether this is a cs or csd path variable. I couldn’t see anything appropriate at

http://www.csounds.com/manual/html/CommandEnvironment.html

(BTW, the MAC section needs updating to accommodate .bash_profile rather than (just?) .bashrc which has been superceded/

How does one log such suggestions for such manual changes?)

Much else, is possible: http://www.csounds.com/manual/html/OrchDirFiles.html

Perhaps a CSDDIR could be added?

Cheers, and thanks for the assistance.

David

---

From: Csound-developers <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> on behalf of Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@MU.IE>

Date: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 6:44 AM

[...]

Date2018-10-20 18:19
Fromjpff

On Fri, 19 Oct 2018, Worrall, David wrote:

> UnifiedCSD:  xxx.csd
>
> Reading CSD failed ... stopping
>

> Is there some way the code might be modified to generate a more user-centered error message?
>
> “file not found” comes to mind.

Not easily. The open failed about 3 funcions deeoer thn the message and it
is nor clearto be that the actul error will persust that long.  I will try
an experiment

> This prompted me to wonder whether this is a cs or csd path variable. I couldn’t see anything appropriate at
>
> http://www.csounds.com/manual/html/CommandEnvironment.html

No , it looks up the name provided which if not absiolute looks from the
current directory

> (BTW, the MAC section needs updating to accommodate .bash_profile rather than (just?) .bashrc which has been superceded/
>
> How does one log such suggestions for such manual changes?)

Open an issue on github under csound/manual
(https://github.com/csound/manual/issues)

Open an issue on csound/csound (https://github.com/csound/csound/issues)

> Cheers, and thanks for the assistance.
>
> David
>

> ---

Date2018-10-20 19:59
Fromjpff
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] 32-bit build with ctcsound 2008ish OS X
I changed the error message so it is a little more expicit

UnifiedCSD:  foobar
Reading CSD failed (No such file or directory)... stopping