[Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon

Subject[Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github

Victor Lazzarini

FromFrancois PINOT
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon
Pas bon, pas bon

François

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github

Victor Lazzarini

Fromjpff
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon
Oh dear... I have this feeling that another move is coming.

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-
> agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github
>
> Victor Lazzarini Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon
but where to?

Victor Lazzarini

> On 4 Jun 2018, at 13:10, jpff  wrote:
>
> Oh dear... I have this feeling that another move is coming.
>
>> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>
>> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-
>> agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github
>> Victor Lazzarini Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland

Date2018-06-04 13:13
FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon
https://bitbucket.org ?

On esmaspäev, 4. juuni 2018 15:11.35 EEST you wrote:
> but where to?
>
> Victor Lazzarini
>
> > On 4 Jun 2018, at 13:10, jpff  wrote:
> >
> > Oh dear... I have this feeling that another move is coming.
> >
> >> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
> >>
> >> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-h
> >> ave- agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github
> >> Victor Lazzarini Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
> >> Maynooth University

Date2018-06-04 13:46
Fromjpff
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon
gitlab or bitbucket seems to be mentions most; also gogs

I am looking at them....

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> but where to?
>
> Victor Lazzarini
>
>> On 4 Jun 2018, at 13:10, jpff  wrote:
>>
>> Oh dear... I have this feeling that another move is coming.
>>
>>> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-
>>> agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github
>>> Victor Lazzarini Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland

Date2018-06-04 14:27
FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon
Let's not be too hasty. MS is not necessarily the kiss of death here, now that they have significant open-source assets, and since GitHub also hosts code owned by their competitors (e.g., Google). They will be under a lot of scrutiny. My guess is that if enough people are concerned (based on reality or not), then some alternative will emerge. Gitlab is very good (we use it at my company) but we run our own instance; not sure if if is even available in a hosted form.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 8:47 AM jpff <jpff@codemist.co.uk> wrote:
gitlab or bitbucket seems to be mentions most; also gogs

I am looking at them....

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> but where to?
>
> Victor Lazzarini
>
>> On 4 Jun 2018, at 13:10, jpff <jpff@CODEMIST.CO.UK> wrote:
>>
>> Oh dear... I have this feeling that another move is coming.
>>
>>> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-
>>> agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github
>>> Victor Lazzarini Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon
Don't do anything hasty that would waste our precious time for no real reason!

Stick with github unless its terms of service, its availability, or its cost become real problems.

The real meaning of this move is more that the open source model is gaining traction within Microsoft, which has to adapt to the dominance of Linux (and Android) and Unix (and iOS) on devices and servers.

Sincerely,
Mike

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018, 08:47 jpff <jpff@codemist.co.uk> wrote:
gitlab or bitbucket seems to be mentions most; also gogs

I am looking at them....

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> but where to?
>
> Victor Lazzarini
>
>> On 4 Jun 2018, at 13:10, jpff <jpff@CODEMIST.CO.UK> wrote:
>>
>> Oh dear... I have this feeling that another move is coming.
>>
>>> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-
>>> agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github
>>> Victor Lazzarini Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon
One word: Skype.

Victor Lazzarini

On 4 Jun 2018, at 14:27, Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

Let's not be too hasty. MS is not necessarily the kiss of death here, now that they have significant open-source assets, and since GitHub also hosts code owned by their competitors (e.g., Google). They will be under a lot of scrutiny. My guess is that if enough people are concerned (based on reality or not), then some alternative will emerge. Gitlab is very good (we use it at my company) but we run our own instance; not sure if if is even available in a hosted form.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 8:47 AM jpff <jpff@codemist.co.uk> wrote:
gitlab or bitbucket seems to be mentions most; also gogs

I am looking at them....

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> but where to?
>
> Victor Lazzarini
>
>> On 4 Jun 2018, at 13:10, jpff <jpff@CODEMIST.CO.UK> wrote:
>>
>> Oh dear... I have this feeling that another move is coming.
>>
>>> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-
>>> agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github
>>> Victor Lazzarini Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon
Apples and oranges, I hope. Let's wait and see.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 9:39 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
One word: Skype.

Victor Lazzarini

On 4 Jun 2018, at 14:27, Dave Seidel <dave.seidel@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

Let's not be too hasty. MS is not necessarily the kiss of death here, now that they have significant open-source assets, and since GitHub also hosts code owned by their competitors (e.g., Google). They will be under a lot of scrutiny. My guess is that if enough people are concerned (based on reality or not), then some alternative will emerge. Gitlab is very good (we use it at my company) but we run our own instance; not sure if if is even available in a hosted form.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 8:47 AM jpff <jpff@codemist.co.uk> wrote:
gitlab or bitbucket seems to be mentions most; also gogs

I am looking at them....

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> but where to?
>
> Victor Lazzarini
>
>> On 4 Jun 2018, at 13:10, jpff <jpff@CODEMIST.CO.UK> wrote:
>>
>> Oh dear... I have this feeling that another move is coming.
>>
>>> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>>
>>> https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-03/microsoft-is-said-to-have-
>>> agreed-to-acquire-coding-site-github
>>> Victor Lazzarini Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Trouble in the horizon
It's true Microsoft reworked Skype for corporate customers and lost consumers and did that in a proprietary way. So I take your implication that MS could do that with GitHub.

But again, let's not be hasty. No reason at all to do anything until the terms of service etc. are not good for us. GitHub is a VERY different business from Skype.

Regards,
Mike