Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

Re: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..

Date2017-05-02 15:12
FromStephen Kyne
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..

If you check: https://github.com/csound/csound/tree/develop/msvc

It should have the instructions to get a minimal build going. You might have a problem running the build if the path doesn't contain some dependencies (libsndfile and portaudio). That's an issue I'm trying to fix at the minute.

Thanks,
Stephen

Sent: 02 May 2017 14:01
To: Stephen Kyne
Subject: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..

Any chance instructions for building with VS will be added to build.md? I'm getting stuck on a few things, for example winsock2.h is catching me out and preventing csound64 from building. I guess I need some winsock stuff? I get quite a few errors if I try to build the ALL_BUILD project. For now I think I'm only trying to build a skeleton package with libsndfile. I don't suppose there are any quick and easy ways of getting all the 3rd party libs as is possible with msys2? 

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csnd-dev-Csound-and-Visual-Studio-tp5755856.html

To unsubscribe from Csound - Dev, click here.
NAML

View this message in context: Re: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..
Sent from the Csound - Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Date2017-05-02 15:39
FromRory Walsh
Thanks Steven. I thought all of these changes had been rolled into the dev branch. That was my first mistake. I imagine changing to the MSVC one should help me along!

On 2 May 2017 at 15:12, Stephen Kyne <stevek@outlook.ie> wrote:

csound - Main repository for Csound

It should have the instructions to get a minimal build going. You might have a problem running the build if the path doesn't contain some dependencies (libsndfile and portaudio). That's an issue I'm trying to fix at the minute.

Thanks,
Stephen

Any chance instructions for building with VS will be added to build.md? I'm getting stuck on a few things, for example winsock2.h is catching me out and preventing csound64 from building. I guess I need some winsock stuff? I get quite a few errors if I try to build the ALL_BUILD project. For now I think I'm only trying to build a skeleton package with libsndfile. I don't suppose there are any quick and easy ways of getting all the 3rd party libs as is possible with msys2? 

http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csnd-dev-Csound-and-Visual-Studio-tp5755856.html
[Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio.. Any chance instructions for building with VS will be added to build.md? I'm getting stuck on a few things, for example winsock2.h is catching me out and...

NAML

Date2017-05-02 15:51
FromStephen Kyne

It is all in the develop branch sorry, there is just a folder with it's own readme.md for the instructions while we're still working on it. I guess I could link to it in the main build instruction section.

Stephen

From: Csound-developers <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> on behalf of Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@EAR.IE>
Sent: 02 May 2017 15:39
To: CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE
Subject: Re: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..

Thanks Steven. I thought all of these changes had been rolled into the dev branch. That was my first mistake. I imagine changing to the MSVC one should help me along!

Thanks,
Stephen

[Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio.. Any chance instructions for building with VS will be added to build.md? I'm getting stuck on a few things, for example winsock2.h is catching me out and...

NAML

Date2017-05-02 16:13
FromRory Walsh
Ah, Ok. I'll have a go at this in the next hour or so.

On 2 May 2017 at 15:51, Stephen Kyne <stevek@outlook.ie> wrote:

It is all in the develop branch sorry, there is just a folder with it's own readme.md for the instructions while we're still working on it. I guess I could link to it in the main build instruction section.

Stephen

From: Csound-developers <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> on behalf of Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@EAR.IE>

Thanks,
Stephen

NAML

Date2017-05-02 17:09
FromRory Walsh
 just tried this now and I'm getting some errors when I go through the buildDep step. It seems to fail at the staging process. I've copied and pasted the entire output to here:
I have only recently installed 2017, but I also have VS 14, 2015 installed. Perhaps there are some conflicts between the two versions? Can you spot anything that might be causing the issue? It's a fresh clone of Csound. 

On 2 May 2017 at 16:13, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

NAML

Date2017-05-02 18:04
FromSteven Yi
Looks like you need to update your version of CMake.  (I think it's mentioned in the README)

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
 just tried this now and I'm getting some errors when I go through the buildDep step. It seems to fail at the staging process. I've copied and pasted the entire output to here:
I have only recently installed 2017, but I also have VS 14, 2015 installed. Perhaps there are some conflicts between the two versions? Can you spot anything that might be causing the issue? It's a fresh clone of Csound. 

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

NAML

Date2017-05-02 19:18
FromRory Walsh
Thanks Steven. I'll try that and let you know. 

On 2 May 2017 at 18:04, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
Looks like you need to update your version of CMake.  (I think it's mentioned in the README)

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

NAML

Date2017-05-02 20:39
FromRory Walsh
Cool. It just built for me ;) One final question, does the dependency script install liblo libs? The readme mentions that they build, but I don't see any osc.dll in my build dir?

On 2 May 2017 at 19:18, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

NAML

Date2017-05-03 12:34
FromStephen Kyne

No liblo isn't working yet. It needs premake installed to build it so probably have to download that via the script. There is still an issue with the dependencies not appearing in the output folder so to run you have to add the VCPKG/bin directory to the windows path to run the actual output csound.exe.

Thanks,
Stephen

Sent: 02 May 2017 20:39

Cool. It just built for me ;) One final question, does the dependency script install liblo libs? The readme mentions that they build, but I don't see any osc.dll in my build dir?

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

NAML

Date2017-05-03 16:58
FromRory Walsh
I see the build instructions for liblo mention something about premake. I did try running it and it did create an exporter for vs210, but fails to build because of a pthread dep. I don't suppose either you or Steven have an MSVC lib that you could share?

On 3 May 2017 at 12:34, Stephen Kyne <stevek@outlook.ie> wrote:

No liblo isn't working yet. It needs premake installed to build it so probably have to download that via the script. There is still an issue with the dependencies not appearing in the output folder so to run you have to add the VCPKG/bin directory to the windows path to run the actual output csound.exe.

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

NAML

Date2017-05-03 17:08
FromStephen Kyne

Hmm yeah that table probably needs to be worded better. 

Does liblo require threads in csound? http://liblo.sourceforge.net/README-platforms.html

You can add --without-threads to the premake option to remove the pthread dependency. I haven't built it myself yet sorry.

Stephen

Sent: 03 May 2017 16:58

I see the build instructions for liblo mention something about premake. I did try running it and it did create an exporter for vs210, but fails to build because of a pthread dep. I don't suppose either you or Steven have an MSVC lib that you could share?

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

NAML

Date2017-05-03 17:24
FromRory Walsh
Thanks Stephen. I tried that option yesterday but had no luck. But I didn't give it much time. I'll have another shot at it when I get a minute. Cheers. 

On 3 May 2017 at 17:08, Stephen Kyne <stevek@outlook.ie> wrote:

Does liblo require threads in csound? http://liblo.sourceforge.net/README-platforms.html

Building liblo for other platforms. This document describes how to build liblo for platforms that require special configuration. Building liblo for Microsoft Visual ...

You can add --without-threads to the premake option to remove the pthread dependency. I haven't built it myself yet sorry.

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

NAML

Date2017-05-03 20:00
FromStephen Kyne

I tried it there. You need to do "premake4 --without-threads vs2012" instead of "premake vs2012 --without-threads". You can upgrade the project to a later VS then if you want.

You can then build the liblo project successfully but the other two still fail looking for pthreads. I think I can add this to the scripted build easily enough so I'll try that. I did see a cmake folder there with zero documentation so need to find out if that is useful or not too.

Stephen

Sent: 03 May 2017 17:24

Thanks Stephen. I tried that option yesterday but had no luck. But I didn't give it much time. I'll have another shot at it when I get a minute. Cheers. 

Building liblo for other platforms. This document describes how to build liblo for platforms that require special configuration. Building liblo for Microsoft Visual ...

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

NAML

Date2017-05-03 20:10
FromRory Walsh
Nice one Stephen! 

On 3 May 2017 20:00, "Stephen Kyne" <stevek@outlook.ie> wrote:

I tried it there. You need to do "premake4 --without-threads vs2012" instead of "premake vs2012 --without-threads". You can upgrade the project to a later VS then if you want.

You can then build the liblo project successfully but the other two still fail looking for pthreads. I think I can add this to the scripted build easily enough so I'll try that. I did see a cmake folder there with zero documentation so need to find out if that is useful or not too.

Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

NAML

Date2017-05-04 15:34
FromStephen Kyne

I've pretty much got our end of the building process for liblo working but there are issues with the code itself on Windows. There is a build error in MSVC and cmake issues, they haven't tested it at all. I've submitted a pull request to them for the cmake issue but they'll have to solve the compilation error themselves.

The joys of cross platform programming... I may just pull a previous version before the breakage and use premake. I'll see how quickly they respond first though.

Stephen

Sent: 03 May 2017 20:10

Nice one Stephen! 

Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

NAML

Date2017-05-04 16:16
FromRory Walsh
I'm not getting any compilation errors here, version 0.28? But I'm having problems generating a Csound solution that attempts to build the OSC stuff. I've added the appropriate sections to the dependencies bat file. And when it runs cmake reports that the OSC opcodes are enabled, but I don't see any OSC sub project in the solution, and building does not results in osc.dll being built. Any ideas how I can at least generate a solution that will try to build the osc opcodes? Thanks for the help btw!  

On 4 May 2017 at 15:34, Stephen Kyne <stevek@outlook.ie> wrote:

I've pretty much got our end of the building process for liblo working but there are issues with the code itself on Windows. There is a build error in MSVC and cmake issues, they haven't tested it at all. I've submitted a pull request to them for the cmake issue but they'll have to solve the compilation error themselves.

The joys of cross platform programming... I may just pull a previous version before the breakage and use premake. I'll see how quickly they respond first though.

Stephen

Nice one Stephen! 

Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

NAML

Date2017-05-04 17:05
FromStephen Kyne

I'm using the version in github: https://github.com/radarsat1/liblo Afaik it's the most up to date. The one in sourceforge is older but it does build. 

Are you sure CMake is picking up the headers and libs? That's probably why it's not generating the project file anyway. Check the CMake log first I'd say. You can explicitly set the locations if you have to.

Stephen

Sent: 04 May 2017 16:16

I'm not getting any compilation errors here, version 0.28? But I'm having problems generating a Csound solution that attempts to build the OSC stuff. I've added the appropriate sections to the dependencies bat file. And when it runs cmake reports that the OSC opcodes are enabled, but I don't see any OSC sub project in the solution, and building does not results in osc.dll being built. Any ideas how I can at least generate a solution that will try to build the osc opcodes? Thanks for the help btw!  

Stephen

Nice one Stephen! 

Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

NAML

Date2017-05-04 18:44
FromMichael Gogins
The version of the OSC opcodes in the Csound installer uses liblo version 28. I have not been able to use other version.

There is a build package in the csound/mingw64/packages directory, take a look at it.

Regards,
Mike

-----------------------------------------------------
Michael Gogins
Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Stephen Kyne <stevek@outlook.ie> wrote:

I'm using the version in github: https://github.com/radarsat1/liblo Afaik it's the most up to date. The one in sourceforge is older but it does build. 

Are you sure CMake is picking up the headers and libs? That's probably why it's not generating the project file anyway. Check the CMake log first I'd say. You can explicitly set the locations if you have to.

Stephen

Stephen

Nice one Stephen! 

Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

NAML

Date2017-05-04 20:25
FromRory Walsh
So when I add the OSC stuff to the cmake file I get this:

-- BUILD_OSC_OPCODES is enabled.

I'm not sure it's relevant, but it's followed immediately by this:

CMake Error at Opcodes/CMakeLists.txt:207 (set_target_properties):
  set_target_properties called with incorrect number of arguments.

Either way, I still don't see the osc stuff in the Csound solution? 

On 4 May 2017 at 18:44, Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
The version of the OSC opcodes in the Csound installer uses liblo version 28. I have not been able to use other version.

There is a build package in the csound/mingw64/packages directory, take a look at it.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Gogins
Irreducible Productions

Stephen

Stephen

Nice one Stephen! 

Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

NAML

Date2017-05-05 00:15
FromRory Walsh
So that error points towards this line:

set_target_properties(pthread_static PROPERTIES IMPORTED_LOCATION ${PTHREAD_LIBRARY})

Any ideas? Are all the CMakeList file generated by cmake? Sorry, I really should know more about cmake at this stage..

On 4 May 2017 at 20:25, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

Regards,
Mike

Michael Gogins
Irreducible Productions

Stephen

Stephen

Nice one Stephen! 

Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

NAML

Date2017-05-05 11:50
FromStephen Kyne

I see, so we're building liblo with threading support it seems and that relies on pthreads. I'll have to download winpthreads32 as a dependency for that build. I'll add that now today and build the lot.

For now you could remove any lines in the cmake file adding pthreads to the libs variable and use whatever version of liblo you have built. You can explicitly set the location of the header and lib with 

cmake {everything else first} -DOSC_HEADER="<location>" -DLIBLO_LIBRARY="<location>"

Thanks,

Stephen

Sent: 05 May 2017 00:15

set_target_properties(pthread_static PROPERTIES IMPORTED_LOCATION ${PTHREAD_LIBRARY})

Any ideas? Are all the CMakeList file generated by cmake? Sorry, I really should know more about cmake at this stage..

Regards,
Mike

Michael Gogins
Irreducible Productions

Stephen

Stephen

Nice one Stephen! 

Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

NAML

Date2017-05-05 12:22
FromRory Walsh
That's what I tried, but alas I'm caught on the other issue I posted about now. Thanks for looking into it. 

On 5 May 2017 at 11:50, Stephen Kyne <stevek@outlook.ie> wrote:

I see, so we're building liblo with threading support it seems and that relies on pthreads. I'll have to download winpthreads32 as a dependency for that build. I'll add that now today and build the lot.

For now you could remove any lines in the cmake file adding pthreads to the libs variable and use whatever version of liblo you have built. You can explicitly set the location of the header and lib with 

cmake {everything else first} -DOSC_HEADER="<location>" -DLIBLO_LIBRARY="<location>"

Thanks,

Stephen

Sent: 05 May 2017 00:15

Regards,
Mike

Michael Gogins
Irreducible Productions

Stephen

Stephen

Nice one Stephen! 

Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen

Thanks,
Stephen

NAML