From: rorywalsh [via Csound] <ml+[hidden email]>
Sent: 02 May 2017 14:01
To: Stephen Kyne
Subject: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..

Any chance instructions for building with VS will be added to build.md? I'm getting stuck on a few things, for example winsock2.h is catching me out and preventing csound64 from building. I guess I need some winsock stuff? I get quite a few errors if I try to build the ALL_BUILD project. For now I think I'm only trying to build a skeleton package with libsndfile. I don't suppose there are any quick and easy ways of getting all the 3rd party libs as is possible with msys2?

http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csnd-dev-Csound-and-Visual-Studio-tp5755856.html

To unsubscribe from Csound - Dev, click here.
NAML

Sent from the Csound - Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Date2017-05-02 15:39
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..
Thanks Steven. I thought all of these changes had been rolled into the dev branch. That was my first mistake. I imagine changing to the MSVC one should help me along!

On 2 May 2017 at 15:12, Stephen Kyne <stevek@outlook.ie> wrote:

If you check: https://github.com/csound/csound/tree/develop/msvc

csound - Main repository for Csound

It should have the instructions to get a minimal build going. You might have a problem running the build if the path doesn't contain some dependencies (libsndfile and portaudio). That's an issue I'm trying to fix at the minute.

Thanks,
Stephen

Any chance instructions for building with VS will be added to build.md? I'm getting stuck on a few things, for example winsock2.h is catching me out and preventing csound64 from building. I guess I need some winsock stuff? I get quite a few errors if I try to build the ALL_BUILD project. For now I think I'm only trying to build a skeleton package with libsndfile. I don't suppose there are any quick and easy ways of getting all the 3rd party libs as is possible with msys2?

http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csnd-dev-Csound-and-Visual-Studio-tp5755856.html
[Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio.. Any chance instructions for building with VS will be added to build.md? I'm getting stuck on a few things, for example winsock2.h is catching me out and...

To unsubscribe from Csound - Dev, click here.
NAML

Sent from the Csound - Dev mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Date2017-05-02 15:51
FromStephen Kyne
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..

It is all in the develop branch sorry, there is just a folder with it's own readme.md for the instructions while we're still working on it. I guess I could link to it in the main build instruction section.

Stephen

[...]

Date2017-05-02 16:13
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..
Ah, Ok. I'll have a go at this in the next hour or so.

On 2 May 2017 at 15:51, Stephen Kyne <stevek@outlook.ie> wrote:

[...]

Date2017-05-02 17:09
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..
 just tried this now and I'm getting some errors when I go through the buildDep step. It seems to fail at the staging process. I've copied and pasted the entire output to here:
I have only recently installed 2017, but I also have VS 14, 2015 installed. Perhaps there are some conflicts between the two versions? Can you spot anything that might be causing the issue? It's a fresh clone of Csound.

On 2 May 2017 at 16:13, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
[...]

Looks like you need to update your version of CMake.  (I think it's mentioned in the README)

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
[...]

Date2017-05-02 19:18
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..
Thanks Steven. I'll try that and let you know.

On 2 May 2017 at 18:04, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Date2017-05-02 20:39
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..
Cool. It just built for me ;) One final question, does the dependency script install liblo libs? The readme mentions that they build, but I don't see any osc.dll in my build dir?

On 2 May 2017 at 19:18, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
[...]

Date2017-05-03 12:34
FromStephen Kyne
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..

No liblo isn't working yet. It needs premake installed to build it so probably have to download that via the script. There is still an issue with the dependencies not appearing in the output folder so to run you have to add the VCPKG/bin directory to the windows path to run the actual output csound.exe.

Thanks,
Stephen

[...]

Date2017-05-03 16:58
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..
I see the build instructions for liblo mention something about premake. I did try running it and it did create an exporter for vs210, but fails to build because of a pthread dep. I don't suppose either you or Steven have an MSVC lib that you could share?

On 3 May 2017 at 12:34, Stephen Kyne <stevek@outlook.ie> wrote:

[...]

Date2017-05-03 17:08
FromStephen Kyne
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..

Hmm yeah that table probably needs to be worded better.

Does liblo require threads in csound? http://liblo.sourceforge.net/README-platforms.html

You can add --without-threads to the premake option to remove the pthread dependency. I haven't built it myself yet sorry.

Stephen

[...]

Date2017-05-03 17:24
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..
Thanks Stephen. I tried that option yesterday but had no luck. But I didn't give it much time. I'll have another shot at it when I get a minute. Cheers.

On 3 May 2017 at 17:08, Stephen Kyne <stevek@outlook.ie> wrote:

Hmm yeah that table probably needs to be worded better.

Does liblo require threads in csound? http://liblo.sourceforge.net/README-platforms.html

Building liblo for other platforms. This document describes how to build liblo for platforms that require special configuration. Building liblo for Microsoft Visual ...

[...]

Date2017-05-03 20:00
FromStephen Kyne
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..

I tried it there. You need to do "premake4 --without-threads vs2012" instead of "premake vs2012 --without-threads". You can upgrade the project to a later VS then if you want.

You can then build the liblo project successfully but the other two still fail looking for pthreads. I think I can add this to the scripted build easily enough so I'll try that. I did see a cmake folder there with zero documentation so need to find out if that is useful or not too.

Stephen

[...]

Date2017-05-03 20:10
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..
Nice one Stephen!

On 3 May 2017 20:00, "Stephen Kyne" <stevek@outlook.ie> wrote:

[...]

Date2017-05-04 15:34
FromStephen Kyne
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..

I've pretty much got our end of the building process for liblo working but there are issues with the code itself on Windows. There is a build error in MSVC and cmake issues, they haven't tested it at all. I've submitted a pull request to them for the cmake issue but they'll have to solve the compilation error themselves.

The joys of cross platform programming... I may just pull a previous version before the breakage and use premake. I'll see how quickly they respond first though.

Stephen

[...]

Date2017-05-04 16:16
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..
I'm not getting any compilation errors here, version 0.28? But I'm having problems generating a Csound solution that attempts to build the OSC stuff. I've added the appropriate sections to the dependencies bat file. And when it runs cmake reports that the OSC opcodes are enabled, but I don't see any OSC sub project in the solution, and building does not results in osc.dll being built. Any ideas how I can at least generate a solution that will try to build the osc opcodes? Thanks for the help btw!

On 4 May 2017 at 15:34, Stephen Kyne <stevek@outlook.ie> wrote:

[...]

Date2017-05-04 17:05
FromStephen Kyne
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..

I'm using the version in github: https://github.com/radarsat1/liblo Afaik it's the most up to date. The one in sourceforge is older but it does build.

Are you sure CMake is picking up the headers and libs? That's probably why it's not generating the project file anyway. Check the CMake log first I'd say. You can explicitly set the locations if you have to.

Stephen

[...]

The version of the OSC opcodes in the Csound installer uses liblo version 28. I have not been able to use other version.

There is a build package in the csound/mingw64/packages directory, take a look at it.

Regards,

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 12:05 PM, Stephen Kyne <stevek@outlook.ie> wrote:

[...]

Date2017-05-04 20:25
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..
So when I add the OSC stuff to the cmake file I get this:

-- BUILD_OSC_OPCODES is enabled.

I'm not sure it's relevant, but it's followed immediately by this:

CMake Error at Opcodes/CMakeLists.txt:207 (set_target_properties):
  set_target_properties called with incorrect number of arguments.

Either way, I still don't see the osc stuff in the Csound solution?

On 4 May 2017 at 18:44, Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Date2017-05-05 00:15
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..
So that error points towards this line:

set_target_properties(pthread_static PROPERTIES IMPORTED_LOCATION ${PTHREAD_LIBRARY})

Any ideas? Are all the CMakeList file generated by cmake? Sorry, I really should know more about cmake at this stage..

On 4 May 2017 at 20:25, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
[...]

Date2017-05-05 11:50
FromStephen Kyne
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..

I see, so we're building liblo with threading support it seems and that relies on pthreads. I'll have to download winpthreads32 as a dependency for that build. I'll add that now today and build the lot.

For now you could remove any lines in the cmake file adding pthreads to the libs variable and use whatever version of liblo you have built. You can explicitly set the location of the header and lib with

cmake {everything else first} -DOSC_HEADER="<location>" -DLIBLO_LIBRARY="<location>"

Thanks,

Stephen

[...]

Date2017-05-05 12:22
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Csound and Visual Studio..
That's what I tried, but alas I'm caught on the other issue I posted about now. Thanks for looking into it.