[Csnd-dev] Syncing with GitHub?

Date2019-09-14 00:31
FromPete Goodeve
Subject[Csnd-dev] Syncing with GitHub?
AttachmentsNone

Date2019-09-14 01:12
FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Syncing with GitHub?
Develop would be where it all happens

⁣Sent from TypeApp ​

On Sep 14, 2019, 00:32, at 00:32, Pete Goodeve  wrote:
>Hi,
>
> I find I need to make a small fix to the Haiku build,  but
>it's been a while since I pulled from GitHub, and I guess
>I should do so before doing the fix and submitting a PR.
>I see I was previously pulling from the 'develop' branch,
>but now that 6.13 has been released, should I sync with
>'master' instead?
>
>Thanks,
>
>	-- Pete --

Date2019-09-14 02:09
FromPete Goodeve
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Syncing with GitHub?
AttachmentsNone

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Syncing with GitHub?
master contains the source for the last released version of Csound and
should be considered stable. develop has the latest state of current
development and may contain changes that are in progress or ones that
are partially tested (for example, maybe one of commits code that
works on their platform but finds out doesn't work with another
compiler on another platform).

master is synced to rarely, only when there is a release, and only by
the development team.  All submissions for changes should be done
against develop by any developers, internal or external, as they will
get vetted as part of the ongoing development process.

In addition, tags are made at every release based on master, so one
can checkout the state of code at previous releases.

This is all in line with the git-flow
(https://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/) approach to
dealing with branches and git.

We do release and hotfix branches according to git-flow. Feature
branches we tend to do a little less strictly, but everyone is
generally creating feature branches based on develop and merges back
to develop.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 9:09 PM Pete Goodeve  wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 14, 2019 at 01:12:15AM +0100, John ff wrote:
> > Develop would be where it all happens
>
> Sorry to be still a little confused.  If somebody wants to clone
> their own repository, they should use develop?  What is the
> function of master, then?
>
> Thanks,
>         -- Pete --
>

> > ⁣Sent from TypeApp
> >
> > On Sep 14, 2019, 00:32, at 00:32, Pete Goodeve  wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > > I find I need to make a small fix to the Haiku build,  but
> > >it's been a while since I pulled from GitHub, and I guess
> > >I should do so before doing the fix and submitting a PR.
> > >I see I was previously pulling from the 'develop' branch,
> > >but now that 6.13 has been released, should I sync with
> > >'master' instead?
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >
> > >     -- Pete --

Date2019-09-14 03:31