[Csnd-dev] receive MIDI clock?

Date2017-05-10 09:40
FromAnders Genell
Subject[Csnd-dev] receive MIDI clock?
Hi all!

As I have mentioned I mostly use csound in a non-musical application, but this summer I thought to make amends.
A friend has a sailboat, and we will be sailing for a few days in july. During this time, another friend will bring a couple of desktop analog synths (a Dreadbox Nyx and a something else I can't recall) toghether with a korg sq1 sequencer and a arturia beatstep controller/sequencer. I thought I'd bring a laptop with csound and some useful intruments pre-written.

My question is regarding sync between these machines. The idea is to let the sq1 or the beatstep be master and, I would like to be able to do delay and modulation of different kinds in csound synced to the current bpm.
Is there a way to obtain current bpm from incoming midi messages in any way?

Regards,
Anders

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] receive MIDI clock?
If you are on Linux you could use the Ableton Link opcodes, designed just for this. You'd have to build them.

Regards,
Mike

On May 10, 2017 4:41 AM, "Anders Genell" <anders.genell@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Date2017-05-10 12:47
FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] receive MIDI clock?
Should be in the next release due very soon.

Sent from TypeApp
On 10 May 2017, at 11:42, Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
[...]

Date2017-05-10 13:01
FromAnders Genell
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] receive MIDI clock?
Brilliant!
Thank you both!

10 maj 2017 kl. 13:47 skrev John ff <jpff@CODEMIST.CO.UK>:

[...]

Date2017-05-10 14:42
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] receive MIDI clock?
Any space left on the boat!?

On 10 May 2017 at 13:01, Anders Genell <anders.genell@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Date2017-05-10 15:06
FromAnders Genell
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] receive MIDI clock?
Well, if you don't mind spooning with me in the forward cabin, I'm sure we could work something out...

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 3:42 PM, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
[...]

Date2017-05-10 15:08
FromAnders Genell

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 4:06 PM, Anders Genell <anders.genell@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Date2017-05-10 15:44
FromAnders Genell
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] receive MIDI clock?
Hm.
Reading the manual (thank's again, Mike!) I can't really understand how to use Ableton Link...
I suppose the hardware in use must support Link? Or is Link a subset of MIDI in some way?
Unless Korg SQ1 or Arturia Beatstep support the Link protocol natively...?

Regards,
Anders

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Anders Genell <anders.genell@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

No problems. I'll be waiting somewhere along the west coast of Ireland ;) Send a flare skyward when you get close. And watch out for the rocks!

On 10 May 2017 at 15:06, Anders Genell <anders.genell@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

You need to be on Linux. The Ableton Link opcodes build on Windows but
don't, for some reason, work there. They work for me on Linux. So far,
I haven't much to do with OS X.

The protocol is not a subset of MIDI. I don't know about the apps you mention.

Read Ableton's documentation to see how to use them.

Regards,

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Rory Walsh  wrote:
> No problems. I'll be waiting somewhere along the west coast of Ireland ;)
> Send a flare skyward when you get close. And watch out for the rocks!
>
> On 10 May 2017 at 15:06, Anders Genell  wrote:
>>
>> Well, if you don't mind spooning with me in the forward cabin, I'm sure we
>> could work something out...
>>
>> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 3:42 PM, Rory Walsh  wrote:
>>>
>>> Any space left on the boat!?

Date2017-05-10 17:37
FromAnders Genell
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] receive MIDI clock?
Well, I'm on Debian so that should be ok, but as I understand it after some reading up, Ableton Link is a network protocol?
I was hoping to find something that would allow a hardware synth and/or hardware controller/sequencer determine tempo for Csound via midi...

I'm not well versed in MIDI protocol magic, but shouldn't it be possible to receive most midi info in Csound? Would it be possible to obtain midi tempo (or whatever it is that is used to set bpm) through the midiin opcode?

There is a midi-to-link app for iOS so I could let my iPhone be the bridge between hardware and Csound, but I'd prefer not to involve network traffic if it can be avoided...

Regards,
Anders

> 10 maj 2017 kl. 17:53 skrev Michael Gogins :
>
> You need to be on Linux. The Ableton Link opcodes build on Windows but
> don't, for some reason, work there. They work for me on Linux. So far,
> I haven't much to do with OS X.
>
> The protocol is not a subset of MIDI. I don't know about the apps you mention.
>
> Read Ableton's documentation to see how to use them.
>
> Regards,
> Mike

> Michael Gogins
> Irreducible Productions
> http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com
>

>> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Rory Walsh  wrote:
>> No problems. I'll be waiting somewhere along the west coast of Ireland ;)
>> Send a flare skyward when you get close. And watch out for the rocks!
>>
>>> On 10 May 2017 at 15:06, Anders Genell  wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, if you don't mind spooning with me in the forward cabin, I'm sure we
>>> could work something out...

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] receive MIDI clock?
In that case the Ableton Link opcodes won't work unless the hardware
supports it and is on the network.

Yes, you could receive MIDI timing info and set Csound's tempo using
the "tempo" opcode and you MIGHT be able to use the "a" score opcode
to go to the exact beat you want.

I haven't tried this though.

On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 12:37 PM, Anders Genell  wrote:
> Well, I'm on Debian so that should be ok, but as I understand it after some reading up, Ableton Link is a network protocol?
> I was hoping to find something that would allow a hardware synth and/or hardware controller/sequencer determine tempo for Csound via midi...
>
> I'm not well versed in MIDI protocol magic, but shouldn't it be possible to receive most midi info in Csound? Would it be possible to obtain midi tempo (or whatever it is that is used to set bpm) through the midiin opcode?
>
> There is a midi-to-link app for iOS so I could let my iPhone be the bridge between hardware and Csound, but I'd prefer not to involve network traffic if it can be avoided...
>
> Regards,
> Anders
>
>> 10 maj 2017 kl. 17:53 skrev Michael Gogins :
>>
>> You need to be on Linux. The Ableton Link opcodes build on Windows but
>> don't, for some reason, work there. They work for me on Linux. So far,
>> I haven't much to do with OS X.
>>
>> The protocol is not a subset of MIDI. I don't know about the apps you mention.
>>
>> Read Ableton's documentation to see how to use them.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mike

>> Michael Gogins
>> Irreducible Productions
>> http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
>> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com
>>

>>> On Wed, May 10, 2017 at 10:44 AM, Rory Walsh  wrote:
>>> No problems. I'll be waiting somewhere along the west coast of Ireland ;)
>>> Send a flare skyward when you get close. And watch out for the rocks!

Date2017-05-10 21:39
FromGuillermo Senna
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] receive MIDI clock?
The thing is, if I'm not mistaken, the sq1 will send the bpm info using
24-per-quarter SysEx messages and none of the midi opcodes in Csound
accept those kind of messages.

Anders could use something like a mididings script to remap those
messages to NoteOns and then find the average time, but I'm not sure how
accurate that would be. It's worth giving it a go, though.