Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

Re: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] confused about status of csound on M1 and building Csound6~ for M1

Date2022-03-24 13:33
Fromdlphillips@WOH.RR.COM
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] confused about status of csound on M1 and building Csound6~ for M1
Hey Rory, 

Sorry for the late response. Yes, I'm interested in trying an M1 build for Cabbage. I can skip exporting plugins for the moment, though that's an eventual goal too. Thanks a lot !

Best regards,

dp

-----------------------------------------

To: CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE
Cc:
Sent: Monday March 21 2022 8:52:22AM
Subject: Re: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] confused about status of csound on M1 and building Csound6~ for M1

Hi Dave. I can send you an M1 build if you like. However, the situation is pretty dire when it comes to exporting plugins as most hosts will simply ignore them unless they are signed. So you have to go and sign each export. Ad-hoc signing seems to do the trick, but some hosts are trickier than others. I'll be at my mac again later, I can prepare a package for you. The CI builds are still Intel based, but as soon as Azure DevOps support an M1 image, I'll be building universal binaries remotely. 

On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 at 11:10, <dlphillips@woh.rr.com> wrote:
Hi Rory ! I'm getting back into Csound specifically to run some Cabbage-related projects, and as you know,  I've built Csound for the M1 (native). I'm quite willing to build Cabbage myself, but if there's an M1-native binary available already I'd like to try it.

Best regards !

dp

Cc:
Sent: Sunday March 20 2022 4:24:08PM
Subject: Re: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] confused about status of csound on M1 and building Csound6~ for M1

I think the easiest thing is to provide your own build for now for those that need it. That's what I do with Cabbage.

On Sun, 20 Mar 2022 at 16:57, Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there an estimated timeline for having official M1 releases? I'm not trying to be a whiner, I get (intimately!) that having to compile for a new platform is a pain, I only just recently got Scheme for Max going for M1.  I'm just trying to figure out what the best thing to say and offer for Csound6~ for Max is with regard to M1. As in, do I tell people to compile from source for M1, or provide a binary myself that will work for the limited needs of csound~, etc. 

thanks!
iain

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 6:03 PM Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
It's not the most current release. I think it's a dev snapshot of 6.16. But I've not had and issues with it. 👍 

On Sun 20 Mar 2022, 12:46 a.m. Iain Duncan, <iainduncanlists@gmail.com> wrote:
thanks Rory, I'll try that out until I can get builds from source going ok. 

iain

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 4:35 PM Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
Here is a Csound universal build if you are interested. 
It's quite minimal, but comes with Intel and M1 slices for both the Csound libs, and libsndfile. It's pretty simple to build. Once(if) Victor's new mac arrives we'll all be sorted :)      

On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 at 23:09, Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@gmail.com> wrote:
Ah ok, well I just got one recently (motivated by the same issue for Scheme for Max), so if it would be helpful for me to build them, I could do so. Though I might need some help! Is there more to it than just building csound from source? Which I guess will get on to next either way!

iain

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 3:53 PM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
No, since I am the one who builds mac releases and I don't have an m1 Mac, the releases are intel.

On 19 Mar 2022, at 22:33, Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
Also, I guess I can release separate packages for M1 and Intel Mac, but in that case getting confirmation that must build from source for M1 would be good.

thanks
iain

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 3:31 PM Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi devs, I'm trying to build Csound6~ for Max for M1, or rather, for a universal binary, but when I choose to build for both targets, I get linker errors. Is there not yet a universal binary for Intel and M1 Macs? Are people required to build from source to run on M1 natively?

Any advice on how to do this would be much appreciated, I've had several folks ask about M1 builds for running on Max on M1. I got the CMake part sorted, but not the Csound linking.

I could build from source, though I'm not sure how I link to both. So if anyone has built csound API projects for universals, I'd love to hear the scoop.

In the meantime, I guess I'll release 0.2 for only intel Mac. 

thanks
iain

Date2022-03-25 11:47
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] confused about status of csound on M1 and building Csound6~ for M1
Here you go Dave. I can send you the Csound.framework I use too, but I'm curious to see if it runs Ok with the version you built there yourself. 

On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 at 13:33, <dlphillips@woh.rr.com> wrote:
Hey Rory, 

Sorry for the late response. Yes, I'm interested in trying an M1 build for Cabbage. I can skip exporting plugins for the moment, though that's an eventual goal too. Thanks a lot !

Best regards,

dp

Cc:
Sent: Monday March 21 2022 8:52:22AM

Hi Dave. I can send you an M1 build if you like. However, the situation is pretty dire when it comes to exporting plugins as most hosts will simply ignore them unless they are signed. So you have to go and sign each export. Ad-hoc signing seems to do the trick, but some hosts are trickier than others. I'll be at my mac again later, I can prepare a package for you. The CI builds are still Intel based, but as soon as Azure DevOps support an M1 image, I'll be building universal binaries remotely. 

On Mon, 21 Mar 2022 at 11:10, <dlphillips@woh.rr.com> wrote:
Hi Rory ! I'm getting back into Csound specifically to run some Cabbage-related projects, and as you know,  I've built Csound for the M1 (native). I'm quite willing to build Cabbage myself, but if there's an M1-native binary available already I'd like to try it.

Best regards !

dp

Cc:
Sent: Sunday March 20 2022 4:24:08PM

I think the easiest thing is to provide your own build for now for those that need it. That's what I do with Cabbage.

On Sun, 20 Mar 2022 at 16:57, Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there an estimated timeline for having official M1 releases? I'm not trying to be a whiner, I get (intimately!) that having to compile for a new platform is a pain, I only just recently got Scheme for Max going for M1.  I'm just trying to figure out what the best thing to say and offer for Csound6~ for Max is with regard to M1. As in, do I tell people to compile from source for M1, or provide a binary myself that will work for the limited needs of csound~, etc. 

thanks!
iain

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 6:03 PM Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
It's not the most current release. I think it's a dev snapshot of 6.16. But I've not had and issues with it. 👍 

On Sun 20 Mar 2022, 12:46 a.m. Iain Duncan, <iainduncanlists@gmail.com> wrote:
thanks Rory, I'll try that out until I can get builds from source going ok. 

iain

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 4:35 PM Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
Here is a Csound universal build if you are interested. 
It's quite minimal, but comes with Intel and M1 slices for both the Csound libs, and libsndfile. It's pretty simple to build. Once(if) Victor's new mac arrives we'll all be sorted :)      

On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 at 23:09, Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@gmail.com> wrote:
Ah ok, well I just got one recently (motivated by the same issue for Scheme for Max), so if it would be helpful for me to build them, I could do so. Though I might need some help! Is there more to it than just building csound from source? Which I guess will get on to next either way!

iain

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 3:53 PM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
No, since I am the one who builds mac releases and I don't have an m1 Mac, the releases are intel.

On 19 Mar 2022, at 22:33, Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
Also, I guess I can release separate packages for M1 and Intel Mac, but in that case getting confirmation that must build from source for M1 would be good.

thanks
iain

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 3:31 PM Iain Duncan <iainduncanlists@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi devs, I'm trying to build Csound6~ for Max for M1, or rather, for a universal binary, but when I choose to build for both targets, I get linker errors. Is there not yet a universal binary for Intel and M1 Macs? Are people required to build from source to run on M1 natively?

Any advice on how to do this would be much appreciated, I've had several folks ask about M1 builds for running on Max on M1. I got the CMake part sorted, but not the Csound linking.

I could build from source, though I'm not sure how I link to both. So if anyone has built csound API projects for universals, I'd love to hear the scoop.

In the meantime, I guess I'll release 0.2 for only intel Mac. 

thanks
iain