[Csnd-dev] Online installer

Date2018-04-21 02:11
FromGuillermo Senna
Subject[Csnd-dev] Online installer
Hi,

I've uploaded a test version of the online installer for linux here:
https://dl.bintray.com/gsenna/installer-framework/travis_linux/Installers/Csound_6.11.0_linux_x86_64_OnlineInstaller

Let me know if you try it out. I suggest installing to /tmp/Csound6 if
you do. After that through the CsoundMaintenanceTool you can update,
install or uninstall component.

Master and preview are both identical on this version (git cloned from
develop) as I was just testing the script. I also included WinXound as
an Interface to see if it was possible to install components outside the
Csound6 folder (i.e., Program Files on Windows).

Csound is being automatically built and published by Travis through a
script
(https://github.com/gsenna/installer-framework/blob/develop/online_repo-linux.sh)
that will publish to a "master" repo on bintray.com -as it was suggested
to me by Steven- whenever there is a tagged commit made to the master
branch. The same thing will apply with a tagged commit to a preview
branch that will have to be created on the Csound Github repo if we want
beta releases.

The next steps are going to be to port the travis script to Travis-MacOs
and AppVeyor-Win. I'll make a PR to the Csound repo when everything is
ready, but I'm going to need someone with access to Mac and Windows
first to build static versions of Qt and QtIFW for me. This won't be
needed every time we want to make a release, but just one time to get
the QtIFW binaries.

After that I can work with frontend devs to include the scripts on your
repos, so although the installer is going to present everything
together, each project can have its own separate bintray.com repo and
make a release whenever he/she wants to.

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Online installer
I have some questions about this installer...

-- Does this use dpkg? Or does it simply copy the release repo to the
configured directory?
-- I don't see that ldconfig or the user environment are modified, is
that correct?

Thanks,

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 9:11 PM, Guillermo Senna  wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've uploaded a test version of the online installer for linux here:
> https://dl.bintray.com/gsenna/installer-framework/travis_linux/Installers/Csound_6.11.0_linux_x86_64_OnlineInstaller
>
> Let me know if you try it out. I suggest installing to /tmp/Csound6 if
> you do. After that through the CsoundMaintenanceTool you can update,
> install or uninstall component.
>
> Master and preview are both identical on this version (git cloned from
> develop) as I was just testing the script. I also included WinXound as
> an Interface to see if it was possible to install components outside the
> Csound6 folder (i.e., Program Files on Windows).
>
> Csound is being automatically built and published by Travis through a
> script
> (https://github.com/gsenna/installer-framework/blob/develop/online_repo-linux.sh)
> that will publish to a "master" repo on bintray.com -as it was suggested
> to me by Steven- whenever there is a tagged commit made to the master
> branch. The same thing will apply with a tagged commit to a preview
> branch that will have to be created on the Csound Github repo if we want
> beta releases.
>
> The next steps are going to be to port the travis script to Travis-MacOs
> and AppVeyor-Win. I'll make a PR to the Csound repo when everything is
> ready, but I'm going to need someone with access to Mac and Windows
> first to build static versions of Qt and QtIFW for me. This won't be
> needed every time we want to make a release, but just one time to get
> the QtIFW binaries.
>
> After that I can work with frontend devs to include the scripts on your
> repos, so although the installer is going to present everything
> together, each project can have its own separate bintray.com repo and
> make a release whenever he/she wants to.

Date2018-04-22 02:58
FromGuillermo Senna
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Online installer
Hi Michael,

Thanks for testing it.

> -- Does this use dpkg? Or does it simply copy the release repo to the
> configured directory?

It simply copies the result of the built process which travis does. It
doesn't use dpkg because, although I'm developing the thing on Linux, we
agreed to make the installer just for Mac and Windows. I guess Linux
could be an option in the future.

> -- I don't see that ldconfig or the user environment are modified, is
> that correct?

That's correct. I mostly wanted feedback on the selection page and the
idea of preview releases (betas) that will replace current stable
installations.

I know on Windows a .qs script shipped with every component can modify
the Registry and change the PATH during installation. I don't know if
any of that'll be necessary yet as I haven't really studied the current
installers for CsoundCore and each front-end.

Do you have to ldconfig on Mac too? I don't know how that works as I
don't own one.

> Thanks,
> Mike

Cheers!

> Michael Gogins
> Irreducible Productions
> http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com
>

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 9:11 PM, Guillermo Senna  wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've uploaded a test version of the online installer for linux here:
>> https://dl.bintray.com/gsenna/installer-framework/travis_linux/Installers/Csound_6.11.0_linux_x86_64_OnlineInstaller
>>
>> Let me know if you try it out. I suggest installing to /tmp/Csound6 if
>> you do. After that through the CsoundMaintenanceTool you can update,
>> install or uninstall component.
>>
>> Master and preview are both identical on this version (git cloned from
>> develop) as I was just testing the script. I also included WinXound as
>> an Interface to see if it was possible to install components outside the
>> Csound6 folder (i.e., Program Files on Windows).
>>
>> Csound is being automatically built and published by Travis through a
>> script
>> (https://github.com/gsenna/installer-framework/blob/develop/online_repo-linux.sh)
>> that will publish to a "master" repo on bintray.com -as it was suggested
>> to me by Steven- whenever there is a tagged commit made to the master
>> branch. The same thing will apply with a tagged commit to a preview
>> branch that will have to be created on the Csound Github repo if we want
>> beta releases.
>>
>> The next steps are going to be to port the travis script to Travis-MacOs
>> and AppVeyor-Win. I'll make a PR to the Csound repo when everything is
>> ready, but I'm going to need someone with access to Mac and Windows
>> first to build static versions of Qt and QtIFW for me. This won't be
>> needed every time we want to make a release, but just one time to get
>> the QtIFW binaries.
>>
>> After that I can work with frontend devs to include the scripts on your
>> repos, so although the installer is going to present everything
>> together, each project can have its own separate bintray.com repo and
>> make a release whenever he/she wants to.

Date2018-04-22 23:32
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Online installer
Hi Guillermo, I haven't had a chance to try this yet but will do tomorrow. Thanks for putting time into this!

On Sun 22 Apr 2018, 02:59 Guillermo Senna, <gsenna@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Michael,

Thanks for testing it.

> -- Does this use dpkg? Or does it simply copy the release repo to the
> configured directory?

It simply copies the result of the built process which travis does. It
doesn't use dpkg because, although I'm developing the thing on Linux, we
agreed to make the installer just for Mac and Windows. I guess Linux
could be an option in the future.

> -- I don't see that ldconfig or the user environment are modified, is
> that correct?

That's correct. I mostly wanted feedback on the selection page and the
idea of preview releases (betas) that will replace current stable
installations.

I know on Windows a .qs script shipped with every component can modify
the Registry and change the PATH during installation. I don't know if
any of that'll be necessary yet as I haven't really studied the current
installers for CsoundCore and each front-end.

Do you have to ldconfig on Mac too? I don't know how that works as I
don't own one.

> Thanks,
> Mike

Cheers!

> Michael Gogins
> Irreducible Productions
> http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com
>

> On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 9:11 PM, Guillermo Senna <gsenna@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've uploaded a test version of the online installer for linux here:
>> https://dl.bintray.com/gsenna/installer-framework/travis_linux/Installers/Csound_6.11.0_linux_x86_64_OnlineInstaller
>>
>> Let me know if you try it out. I suggest installing to /tmp/Csound6 if
>> you do. After that through the CsoundMaintenanceTool you can update,
>> install or uninstall component.
>>
>> Master and preview are both identical on this version (git cloned from
>> develop) as I was just testing the script. I also included WinXound as
>> an Interface to see if it was possible to install components outside the
>> Csound6 folder (i.e., Program Files on Windows).
>>
>> Csound is being automatically built and published by Travis through a
>> script
>> (https://github.com/gsenna/installer-framework/blob/develop/online_repo-linux.sh)
>> that will publish to a "master" repo on bintray.com -as it was suggested
>> to me by Steven- whenever there is a tagged commit made to the master
>> branch. The same thing will apply with a tagged commit to a preview
>> branch that will have to be created on the Csound Github repo if we want
>> beta releases.
>>
>> The next steps are going to be to port the travis script to Travis-MacOs
>> and AppVeyor-Win. I'll make a PR to the Csound repo when everything is
>> ready, but I'm going to need someone with access to Mac and Windows
>> first to build static versions of Qt and QtIFW for me. This won't be
>> needed every time we want to make a release, but just one time to get
>> the QtIFW binaries.
>>
>> After that I can work with frontend devs to include the scripts on your
>> repos, so although the installer is going to present everything
>> together, each project can have its own separate bintray.com repo and
>> make a release whenever he/she wants to.
>>
>> Cheers!

Date2018-04-24 10:39
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Online installer
Hi Guillermo, I posted some comments on the slack channel..

On 22 April 2018 at 23:32, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
Hi Guillermo, I haven't had a chance to try this yet but will do tomorrow. Thanks for putting time into this!

On Sun 22 Apr 2018, 02:59 Guillermo Senna, <gsenna@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Michael,

Thanks for testing it.

> -- Does this use dpkg? Or does it simply copy the release repo to the
> configured directory?

It simply copies the result of the built process which travis does. It
doesn't use dpkg because, although I'm developing the thing on Linux, we
agreed to make the installer just for Mac and Windows. I guess Linux
could be an option in the future.

> -- I don't see that ldconfig or the user environment are modified, is
> that correct?

That's correct. I mostly wanted feedback on the selection page and the
idea of preview releases (betas) that will replace current stable
installations.

I know on Windows a .qs script shipped with every component can modify
the Registry and change the PATH during installation. I don't know if
any of that'll be necessary yet as I haven't really studied the current
installers for CsoundCore and each front-end.

Do you have to ldconfig on Mac too? I don't know how that works as I
don't own one.

> Thanks,
> Mike

Cheers!