[Csnd-dev] git edits completed

Subject[Csnd-dev] git edits completed
I have now completed the edits to git history in the develop branch. The old develop branch has been
saved as old-develop, and torched. In its place, I put a newly-created develop (also present as new-develop)

My suggestion is that a fresh clone is used by everyone in all cases. This is because I tried rebasing
one of the other local repos I had here and I got conflicts. I suspect these will be a pain to resolve.

There is only a small number of write accesses to the repo, so most of you will not be concerned
by this, but for those writing, a reminder not to bring in the tainted commits again.

Finally, the process of killing the old develop branch has eliminated all pending PRs 	(I think
there were only 4, one being Felipe’s which was not for production). These will have to be
submitted again.

Maynooth University,
Maynooth, Co Kildare, Irela

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] git edits completed
Hi Victor,

Thanks for all of this!  There's an option to reset --hard a branch to
origin/develop too but it's much safer to use a fresh clone.  I'd also
mention I just merged master into develop so that we won't have
problems when we do the next release.  (I tested locally merging
develop back to master and it had no conflicts.)

Just another note, to double check your local repos, you can always use:

git rev-list --count HEAD

and it will list the number of commits you have locally. It should be
just over 15000 (bad states should see something like 44000)

stevenOn Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 5:09 PM Victor Lazzarini
 wrote:

> I have now completed the edits to git history in the develop branch. The old develop branch has been
> saved as old-develop, and torched. In its place, I put a newly-created develop (also present as new-develop)
>
> My suggestion is that a fresh clone is used by everyone in all cases. This is because I tried rebasing
> one of the other local repos I had here and I got conflicts. I suspect these will be a pain to resolve.
>
> There is only a small number of write accesses to the repo, so most of you will not be concerned
> by this, but for those writing, a reminder not to bring in the tainted commits again.
>
> Finally, the process of killing the old develop branch has eliminated all pending PRs   (I think
> there were only 4, one being Felipe’s which was not for production). These will have to be
> submitted again.
>
> ========================
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] git edits completed
Excellent.

I noticed that there is a new PR, and it's to do with Windows. Would you or Stephen be able to review it?

Victor Lazzarini

> On 8 Sep 2018, at 15:46, Steven Yi  wrote:
>
> Hi Victor,
>
> Thanks for all of this!  There's an option to reset --hard a branch to
> origin/develop too but it's much safer to use a fresh clone.  I'd also
> mention I just merged master into develop so that we won't have
> problems when we do the next release.  (I tested locally merging
> develop back to master and it had no conflicts.)
>
> Just another note, to double check your local repos, you can always use:
>
> git rev-list --count HEAD
>
> and it will list the number of commits you have locally. It should be
> just over 15000 (bad states should see something like 44000)
>
> stevenOn Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 5:09 PM Victor Lazzarini
>  wrote:
>>
>> I have now completed the edits to git history in the develop branch. The old develop branch has been
>> saved as old-develop, and torched. In its place, I put a newly-created develop (also present as new-develop)
>>
>> My suggestion is that a fresh clone is used by everyone in all cases. This is because I tried rebasing
>> one of the other local repos I had here and I got conflicts. I suspect these will be a pain to resolve.
>>
>> There is only a small number of write accesses to the repo, so most of you will not be concerned
>> by this, but for those writing, a reminder not to bring in the tainted commits again.
>>
>> Finally, the process of killing the old develop branch has eliminated all pending PRs   (I think
>> there were only 4, one being Felipe’s which was not for production). These will have to be
>> submitted again.
>>
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] git edits completed
I have moved development of csound-extended, which has the csound git
repository as a submodule, to a fresh clone. This has the effect of
also moving my csound submodule to a fresh clone. I have verified that
my current local commit for Csound is the same as the one showed on
GitHub:
```
commit b2b0053abd12f57b11bb688d900e6c04f9d91bbe (HEAD -> develop,
origin/develop, origin/HEAD)
Merge: a491dc009 3297e827f
Author: Steven Yi
Date:   Sat Sep 8 10:31:11 2018 -0400

    Merge branch 'master' into develop
```
Regards,

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 5:09 PM Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>> I have now completed the edits to git history in the develop branch. The old develop branch has been
> saved as old-develop, and torched. In its place, I put a newly-created develop (also present as new-develop)
>
> My suggestion is that a fresh clone is used by everyone in all cases. This is because I tried rebasing
> one of the other local repos I had here and I got conflicts. I suspect these will be a pain to resolve.
>
> There is only a small number of write accesses to the repo, so most of you will not be concerned
> by this, but for those writing, a reminder not to bring in the tainted commits again.
>
> Finally, the process of killing the old develop branch has eliminated all pending PRs   (I think
> there were only 4, one being Felipe’s which was not for production). These will have to be
> submitted again.
>
> ========================
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] git edits completed
I reviewed and merged.  They were fixes relevant to MSYS2 build.  I
felt a bit anxious, but I did the following:

1. Reviewed contents of merge
2. Followed github instructions to do local test of merging changes.
3. Checked 'git rev-list --count HEAD' to ensure count did not explode
4. Checked gitk visualization to see parent commits.
5. Pulled trigger and used github merge.

It probably would have been safer to push the merge from local to
github rather than use Github's merge in step 5.  Probably for the
short term we should be very careful to double check PR's locally
before any merges of the PR's.

On Sat, Sep 8, 2018 at 11:09 AM Victor Lazzarini  wrote:

> Excellent.
>
> I noticed that there is a new PR, and it's to do with Windows. Would you or Stephen be able to review it?
>
> Victor Lazzarini
>
> > On 8 Sep 2018, at 15:46, Steven Yi  wrote:
> >
> > Hi Victor,
> >
> > Thanks for all of this!  There's an option to reset --hard a branch to
> > origin/develop too but it's much safer to use a fresh clone.  I'd also
> > mention I just merged master into develop so that we won't have
> > problems when we do the next release.  (I tested locally merging
> > develop back to master and it had no conflicts.)
> >
> > Just another note, to double check your local repos, you can always use:
> >
> > git rev-list --count HEAD
> >
> > and it will list the number of commits you have locally. It should be
> > just over 15000 (bad states should see something like 44000)
> >
> > stevenOn Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 5:09 PM Victor Lazzarini
> >  wrote:
> >>
> >> I have now completed the edits to git history in the develop branch. The old develop branch has been
> >> saved as old-develop, and torched. In its place, I put a newly-created develop (also present as new-develop)
> >>
> >> My suggestion is that a fresh clone is used by everyone in all cases. This is because I tried rebasing
> >> one of the other local repos I had here and I got conflicts. I suspect these will be a pain to resolve.
> >>
> >> There is only a small number of write accesses to the repo, so most of you will not be concerned
> >> by this, but for those writing, a reminder not to bring in the tainted commits again.
> >>
> >> Finally, the process of killing the old develop branch has eliminated all pending PRs   (I think
> >> there were only 4, one being Felipe’s which was not for production). These will have to be
> >> submitted again.
> >>
> >> ========================
> >> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> >> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
> >> Maynooth University,
> >> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> >> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> >> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] git edits completed
yes, we will need to keep an eye on PRs.

However, I noticed that all old PRs were closed when I replaced develop. I had to change the default branch to new-develop to delete it, then push a new branch
called develop, then finally change the default branch back to develop. This had the effect of closing all open PRs.

It might be the case that only PRs taken from the new develop will be accepted by the system.

Victor Lazzarini