[Csnd-dev] PYTHONPATHs

Date2018-06-04 19:54
From"Worrall, David"
Subject[Csnd-dev] PYTHONPATHs

Hello all,

BG:

  • I’m doing ICAD conference python/csound workshop next week (data sonification) for which I’m using the latest csound builds available at https://csound.com/download.html

  • I’m using the latest Anaconda python (both 2.7.x and 3.y)  ‘cause they have all the bells and whistles necessary for sonification.

On OSX I set the bash PYTHONPATH variable as follows:

export PYTHONPATH="/Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Resources/Python/Current:$PYTHONPATH"

which is in line with the ‘postinstal’ file in the source code:         PY_SRC_DIR="/Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Resources/Python/Current"

  • I import ctcsound.py and they all run fine: (thanks Victor for guidance on the ctcsound.py problem)

Here’s my question.

What are the equivalent PY_SRC_DIR ‘s on Linux, and Windows? Any other?

I’ve searched also the csound list archives etc without simple solutions like under OSX, above, I’d be willing to publish. (I don’t have access to those architectures for testing).

Thanks a million.

Also, may I congratulate the authors of the ctcsound.py development – it is brilliant and affords csound use in all sorts of developments.

David

---

Prof David Worrall, PhD

Audio Arts and Acoustics

Columbia College Chicago

33 E Congress Pkwy Room 601N

Chicago, ILLINOIS, USA 60605

Tel: (1)312.369.8821 Fax: (1)312.369.8427

Wikipedia: David Worrall

Personal research/creative practice website: avatar.com.au

President, International Community for Auditory Display icad.org

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] PYTHONPATHs
ctcsound is indeed brilliant. Thanks to François Pinot for it. In my book, I use it
with Python3 and it works like a charm.

We’re dropping the Swig-generated wrapper
in favour of it in the next major version (7).

Victor Lazzarini

On 4 Jun 2018, at 19:55, Worrall, David <dworrall@COLUM.EDU> wrote:

[...]

Date2018-06-05 08:08
FromFrancois PINOT
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] PYTHONPATHs
On linux, ctcsound.py is generally copied into the user python modules install directory for Python2.7. On my system, it's /home/pinot/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages. As I use ctcsound.py from Python3.5 as well, I've to copy it as well into /home/pinot/.local/lib/python3.5/site-packages.

If you want to make ctcsound.py available system-wide, you can run the following commands from a Python console (2.7.x or 3.5.y) to find where are located the dist-packages or site-packages directories for system-wide use:

import sys
print(sys.path)

On Window (7 or higher), ctcsound.py is in the "C:\Program Files\Csound6_x64\bin" directory which should have been added to the system path by the installer. So nothing to do. Beware of the x64 suffix; this means that your Python interpreter(s) should have been installed from a 64 bit installer (there are still 32 bit Python installers (x86) for Windows!).

Whichever system is used (linux, OSX, Windows), the ctcsound.py file used should be the one shipped within the release package you are using: ctcsound.py has references in the csound library, and it might change according to the Csound library modifications or updates...

François

[...]

Date2018-06-05 10:03
From"Worrall, David"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] PYTHONPATHs

Thanks François, and thanks for ctcsound.py – it’s brilliant! …. Oh the power of ctypes!

I’ll pass on your info to those attending the workshop with various Oss., incl. the 64 bit caution.

(Personally I find it less confusing, especially for updates, not to copy these type of files into the myriad of project directories,  but set their location in my PYTHONPATH)

Cheers,

David

From: Csound-developers <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> on behalf of Francois PINOT <fggpinot@GMAIL.COM>
Date: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 2:09 AM
To: "CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE" <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject: Re: [Csnd-dev] PYTHONPATHs

[...]

Date2018-06-05 10:23
FromFrancois PINOT
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] PYTHONPATHs
Thanks for the tribute. The power of ctypes and more importantly, the power of numpy which opens up the doors to a huge scientific calculation ecosystem.

From: Csound-developers <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> on behalf of Francois PINOT <fggpinot@GMAIL.COM>
Date: Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 2:09 AM
To: "CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE" <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>

[...]

Date2018-06-05 11:11
From"Worrall, David"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] PYTHONPATHs

Hear Hear!

Then, why stop at Numpy? ScyPy has some other tools too. But why stop there? :-)

The Archilles heal of Python in package version control. Many (long-suffering) members of this list will know I’ve been banging on for years about using a proper scientific python; especially one that those passionate about such things keep up to date etc for you. I’ve been using Anaconda python  (which includes SciPy etc etc) and built a csound to run with it. With ctcsound.py there’s no need to do a custom build any more, and that opens csound up to the sonification community who need those data processing and control tools.

Cheers,

David

---

From: Csound-developers <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> on behalf of Francois PINOT <fggpinot@GMAIL.COM>