Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

[Csnd-dev] PR #1850

Date2024-03-23 08:31
FromVictor Lazzarini
Subject[Csnd-dev] PR #1850
Hi all,

I just put a stop to PR #1850. This is the kind of code level changes that cannot be done without discussion here so that everyone can be aware and discuss.

It is also changing the code in ways that may cause problems down the line. We can only do anything like this with a deeper understanding of how the system works. It is similar to the "linking opcodes" issue, but probably worse.

I will not follow a discussion at the PR. If anything needs to be done in that regard, we need to hear it here first.

In any case, it would be useful if any of the major reorganisation PRs like the 
one moving directories were discussed here first too.

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

Date2024-03-23 08:40
FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] PR #1850
Correct call Victor, I believe I can see where the PR is coming from. The logic behind LIBCSOUND and how it relates to the final compilation is a clever design but not obvious. I've never seen a successful technical documentation, so I'm not going to suggest to write docs about how the compilation stages are set up but conversation on the mailing list makes more sense.

On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 at 09:31, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Hi all,

I just put a stop to PR #1850. This is the kind of code level changes that cannot be done without discussion here so that everyone can be aware and discuss.

It is also changing the code in ways that may cause problems down the line. We can only do anything like this with a deeper understanding of how the system works. It is similar to the "linking opcodes" issue, but probably worse.

I will not follow a discussion at the PR. If anything needs to be done in that regard, we need to hear it here first.

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

Date2024-03-23 09:12
FromVictor Lazzarini
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd-dev] PR #1850
Thanks for this, Hlodver.

Yes, I think that is important. Steven has started that and we can pick it up and adapt, but I think now we need to finish 7.0 first. There's enough coding hours there to keep us going.

I also think we need to use this list more. If anything, to ask questions.

best
Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

On 23 Mar 2024, at 08:40, Hlöðver Sigurðsson <hlolli@gmail.com> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

Correct call Victor, I believe I can see where the PR is coming from. The logic behind LIBCSOUND and how it relates to the final compilation is a clever design but not obvious. I've never seen a successful technical documentation, so I'm not going to suggest to write docs about how the compilation stages are set up but conversation on the mailing list makes more sense.

On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 at 09:31, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Hi all,

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland