[Csnd-dev] will there be another Csound 6 release?

Date2024-02-26 13:57
FromRory Walsh
Subject[Csnd-dev] will there be another Csound 6 release?
I'm curious to know if there will be a point release for Csound 6 some point before we move to 7? There are some changes to the API that would be nice to have available in a public release. Just curious, I don't want to be adding workload to anyone. Btw, on a different note, am I right in saying that there are currently no build artifacts for MacOS through github actions?

Date2024-02-26 14:07
FromBlake Mitchell
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] will there be another Csound 6 release?
I think it would be nice in the future to separate the API release from the major releases. The API in Csound 6 has undergone breaking changes, but the major version was not bumped, which breaks the semantic versioning. I unfortunately experienced this while writing some bindings for the Csound 6, as the documentation was not updated with the breaking changes, and this caused a lot of headache until I realized the online documentation was wrong. It doesn't seem proper to make breaking changes to the API within a major release of Csound unless the API release is itself disconnected from the Csound release.

Also, I would be interested in making bindings for the Csound 7 API, but I'm not sure of the status of the API changes. Specifically, I would be making .NET bindings using F#. The bindings could then be used from C#, but I would not make higher level wrappers for C# like I would F#.

On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 8:57 AM Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
I'm curious to know if there will be a point release for Csound 6 some point before we move to 7? There are some changes to the API that would be nice to have available in a public release. Just curious, I don't want to be adding workload to anyone. Btw, on a different note, am I right in saying that there are currently no build artifacts for MacOS through github actions?

Date2024-02-26 14:13
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] will there be another Csound 6 release?
It would be nice to have a new Csound6 while we wait.
 We are missing the drunk opcodes (as in the ever popular drunk~ object in MaxMSP - my students are always asking)
 We are missing the Perlin Noise opcode (as in SuperCollider) (( and in Eduardo's Risset collection of plugins, but I can't get his to work on the Mac ))

- Dr.B

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing & Technology Division

On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 8:57 AM Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
I'm curious to know if there will be a point release for Csound 6 some point before we move to 7? There are some changes to the API that would be nice to have available in a public release. Just curious, I don't want to be adding workload to anyone. Btw, on a different note, am I right in saying that there are currently no build artifacts for MacOS through github actions?

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] will there be another Csound 6 release?
Could you list here the 6.0 API breaking changes?

The API for Csound 7 is under review at the moment. 7.0 is slated for September, so I suspect we may have an RC by the Summer.

> On 26 Feb 2024, at 14:07, Blake Mitchell  wrote:
>
> *Warning*
> This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> I think it would be nice in the future to separate the API release from the major releases. The API in Csound 6 has undergone breaking changes, but the major version was not bumped, which breaks the semantic versioning. I unfortunately experienced this while writing some bindings for the Csound 6, as the documentation was not updated with the breaking changes, and this caused a lot of headache until I realized the online documentation was wrong. It doesn't seem proper to make breaking changes to the API within a major release of Csound unless the API release is itself disconnected from the Csound release.
>
> Also, I would be interested in making bindings for the Csound 7 API, but I'm not sure of the status of the API changes. Specifically, I would be making .NET bindings using F#. The bindings could then be used from C#, but I would not make higher level wrappers for C# like I would F#.
>
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 8:57 AM Rory Walsh  wrote:
> I'm curious to know if there will be a point release for Csound 6 some point before we move to 7? There are some changes to the API that would be nice to have available in a public release. Just curious, I don't want to be adding workload to anyone. Btw, on a different note, am I right in saying that there are currently no build artifacts for MacOS through github actions?

Date2024-03-31 18:23
FromBlake Mitchell
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] will there be another Csound 6 release?
There's only one explicit one that I know about, and it was the one reported here: https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/1719. A struct type had changed sometime after the initial release of version 6, as far as I could tell.

Anyway, I would love to renew my Csound binding development for F#/.NET for Csound 7, as I stopped the project a while back. I did get it working where it was running fine for Csound 6, but I think it makes more sense now to target Csound 7. And it would be great if I could have the bindings ready for use at the time Csound 7 releases.

Where should I start looking for the new Csound 7 API/header definitions? At a high-level behavior standpoint, what's changing?

Thanks!

On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 10:37 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Could you list here the 6.0 API breaking changes?

The API for Csound 7 is under review at the moment. 7.0 is slated for September, so I suspect we may have an RC by the Summer.

> On 26 Feb 2024, at 14:07, Blake Mitchell <bmitchell33@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> *Warning*
> This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> I think it would be nice in the future to separate the API release from the major releases. The API in Csound 6 has undergone breaking changes, but the major version was not bumped, which breaks the semantic versioning. I unfortunately experienced this while writing some bindings for the Csound 6, as the documentation was not updated with the breaking changes, and this caused a lot of headache until I realized the online documentation was wrong. It doesn't seem proper to make breaking changes to the API within a major release of Csound unless the API release is itself disconnected from the Csound release.
>
> Also, I would be interested in making bindings for the Csound 7 API, but I'm not sure of the status of the API changes. Specifically, I would be making .NET bindings using F#. The bindings could then be used from C#, but I would not make higher level wrappers for C# like I would F#.
>
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 8:57 AM Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
> I'm curious to know if there will be a point release for Csound 6 some point before we move to 7? There are some changes to the API that would be nice to have available in a public release. Just curious, I don't want to be adding workload to anyone. Btw, on a different note, am I right in saying that there are currently no build artifacts for MacOS through github actions?

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] will there be another Csound 6 release?
The host API has not changed yet but François Pinot is working on a proposal and we'll discuss it here. API users should play an important part on the redesign.

The module API is changing and there is a PR open on this, #1852. Changes are documented there.

Btw, in response to that issue you opened, I did eventually update the API docs for 6.18.

best

On 31 Mar 2024, at 18:24, Blake Mitchell <bmitchell33@gmail.com> wrote:

There's only one explicit one that I know about, and it was the one reported here: https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/1719. A struct type had changed sometime after the initial release of version 6, as far as I could tell.

Anyway, I would love to renew my Csound binding development for F#/.NET for Csound 7, as I stopped the project a while back. I did get it working where it was running fine for Csound 6, but I think it makes more sense now to target Csound 7. And it would be great if I could have the bindings ready for use at the time Csound 7 releases.

Where should I start looking for the new Csound 7 API/header definitions? At a high-level behavior standpoint, what's changing?

Thanks!

On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 10:37 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Could you list here the 6.0 API breaking changes?

The API for Csound 7 is under review at the moment. 7.0 is slated for September, so I suspect we may have an RC by the Summer.

> On 26 Feb 2024, at 14:07, Blake Mitchell <bmitchell33@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> *Warning*
> This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> I think it would be nice in the future to separate the API release from the major releases. The API in Csound 6 has undergone breaking changes, but the major version was not bumped, which breaks the semantic versioning. I unfortunately experienced this while writing some bindings for the Csound 6, as the documentation was not updated with the breaking changes, and this caused a lot of headache until I realized the online documentation was wrong. It doesn't seem proper to make breaking changes to the API within a major release of Csound unless the API release is itself disconnected from the Csound release.
>
> Also, I would be interested in making bindings for the Csound 7 API, but I'm not sure of the status of the API changes. Specifically, I would be making .NET bindings using F#. The bindings could then be used from C#, but I would not make higher level wrappers for C# like I would F#.
>
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 8:57 AM Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
> I'm curious to know if there will be a point release for Csound 6 some point before we move to 7? There are some changes to the API that would be nice to have available in a public release. Just curious, I don't want to be adding workload to anyone. Btw, on a different note, am I right in saying that there are currently no build artifacts for MacOS through github actions?

Date2024-03-31 21:25
FromBlake Mitchell
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] will there be another Csound 6 release?
Thanks for the heads up on PR 1852. I will take a look there and follow along the discussion.

And thanks for updating the docs on the webpage! I had a PR that I pushed through to update the version in hopes of getting around to rebuild the docs for the website, but I didn't get there. So thanks!