[Csnd-dev] csound 7 dates and simultaneous installations

Date2024-01-12 11:11
FromEduardo Moguillansky
Subject[Csnd-dev] csound 7 dates and simultaneous installations
Hi, all,

in relation to PRs done for csound6 Victor asked to also produce PRs for
the develop branch (csound 7). In this case this is not difficult since
csound 7 is marginally different from csound 6 outside of the parser
itself, in particular the internal structure has barely changed. With
this in mind, are there any release dates planned, or milestones which
need to be achieved before such a release? The motivation to commit code
to a branch which will not be seen by normal users for an unforeseeable
future is not particularly high.

A secondary problem is that, as far as I can tell, csound 7 cannot
coexist with csound 6 at the moment. In particular, the csound binary
seems to be overwritten. It would be great to be able to install csound7
alongside csound6.

Best regards,

Eduardo

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] csound 7 dates and simultaneous installations
As far as 6.x is concerned, we may do one more bugfix release in the near future, but that should be the last. We are not expecting to add any features to it.

We are working towards a 7.0 to be released by the next Csound conference in September. So we are putting all our collective efforts there. You're welcome to join, either as a part of the developer team or via PRs, whichever way you'd prefer if you wish to.

In my own system, I have /usr/local/bin/csound, CsoundQT and Cabbage linked to the released 6.18 but I have Csound 7 installed in ~/bin, and that is what I have been working on mostly. It is possible to have both versions installed alongside each other on the Mac. I can't say for sure elsewhere.

> On 12 Jan 2024, at 11:11, Eduardo Moguillansky  wrote:
>
> *Warning*
>
> This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>
> Hi, all,
>
> in relation to PRs done for csound6 Victor asked to also produce PRs for
> the develop branch (csound 7). In this case this is not difficult since
> csound 7 is marginally different from csound 6 outside of the parser
> itself, in particular the internal structure has barely changed. With
> this in mind, are there any release dates planned, or milestones which
> need to be achieved before such a release? The motivation to commit code
> to a branch which will not be seen by normal users for an unforeseeable
> future is not particularly high.
>
> A secondary problem is that, as far as I can tell, csound 7 cannot
> coexist with csound 6 at the moment. In particular, the csound binary
> seems to be overwritten. It would be great to be able to install csound7
> alongside csound6.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Eduardo

Date2024-01-13 19:28
Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] csound 7 dates and simultaneous installations
I hav boths7 and cs6 on my main machine.  No problm tat I have seen
==John ff