[Csnd-dev] GEN 49

Date2023-12-20 20:01
FromJohn ff
Subject[Csnd-dev] GEN 49
Can this be removed?  I think GEN01 does all the same thing but with
slightly different arguments.

I have marked mp3in as deprecated, but I would like to remove it as part
of the tidying up for cs7; in particular removing the Russian mp3
reader in favour of the mpg123-based reader in libsndfile.

==John ffitch

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] GEN 49
As I said in the ticket on these opcodes, I'd be inclined to keep them as a self-contained alternative independent of libsndfile. My thinking is that we can then build Csound without any dependencies and still have some means of reading soundfiles of some type.

> On 20 Dec 2023, at 20:02, John ff  wrote:
>
> *Warning*
>
> This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>
> Can this be removed?  I think GEN01 does all the same thing but with
> slightly different arguments.
>
> I have marked mp3in as deprecated, but I would like to remove it as part
> of the tidying up for cs7; in particular removing the Russian mp3
> reader in favour of the mpg123-based reader in libsndfile.
>
> ==John ffitch

Date2023-12-21 10:44
FromJohn ff
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] GEN 49
So we ought to move mp3in, mp3len and gen49 to a plugin

⁣​

On 21 Dec 2023, 07:03, at 07:03, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>As I said in the ticket on these opcodes, I'd be inclined to keep them
>as a self-contained alternative independent of libsndfile. My thinking
>is that we can then build Csound without any dependencies and still
>have some means of reading soundfiles of some type.
>
>Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>Maynooth University
>Ireland
>
>> On 20 Dec 2023, at 20:02, John ff  wrote:
>>
>> *Warning*
>>
>> This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail
>System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you
>recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>>
>> Can this be removed?  I think GEN01 does all the same thing but with
>> slightly different arguments.
>>
>> I have marked mp3in as deprecated, but I would like to remove it as
>part
>> of the tidying up for cs7; in particular removing the Russian mp3
>> reader in favour of the mpg123-based reader in libsndfile.
>>
>> ==John ffitch

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] GEN 49
That would mean all the mp3 lib code would need to be moved to a library. At the moment, the only way to
use it is to build these opcodes as internals as the mp3 code is built into the Csound library (without external
access).

Also making these plugins may defeat the purpose of having mp3 support as in some
systems there may not be dynamic linking at all.