Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

[Csnd-dev] sf_GMbank.sf2

Date2023-11-17 04:17
FromSteven Yi
Subject[Csnd-dev] sf_GMbank.sf2
Hi All,

Menno reported this issue about sf_GMbank.sf2 being included in the repo:

https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/1626

I haven't anywhere in the codebase where it is used. Anyone know if there's a reason to keep this? Otherwise I'm going to go ahead and delete it and close the ticket.

Thanks,
Steven

Date2023-11-17 04:23
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] sf_GMbank.sf2
Do not delete.

It is used in the general midi orchestras (designed by Victor for OLPC) and donated to me and us as open source by M-Audio for our OLPC work on Csound.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music

On Nov 16, 2023, at 11:18 PM, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All,

I haven't anywhere in the codebase where it is used. Anyone know if there's a reason to keep this? Otherwise I'm going to go ahead and delete it and close the ticket.

Thanks,
Steven

Date2023-11-17 04:24
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
As long as they are somewhere, I agree we do not need them in two places.  Sorry for the confusion 
Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Berklee College of Music

On Nov 16, 2023, at 11:23 PM, Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:

Do not delete.

It is used in the general midi orchestras (designed by Victor for OLPC) and donated to me and us as open source by M-Audio for our OLPC work on Csound.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Berklee College of Music

Hi All,

Thanks,
Steven

Date2023-11-17 04:27
FromSteven Yi
Yes, Menno reported it is included with the manual so I think it'll be available for users there. I didn't see it in any installer scripts or used in any of our test CSDs, but I want to make sure I didn't miss anything. 

On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 11:24 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
As long as they are somewhere, I agree we do not need them in two places.  Sorry for the confusion 
Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Berklee College of Music

On Nov 16, 2023, at 11:23 PM, Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:

Do not delete.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Berklee College of Music

Hi All,

Thanks,
Steven

Date2023-11-17 06:41
FromVictor Lazzarini
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd-dev] sf_GMbank.sf2
I responded there. I am for keeping it there so we can easily use it for testing. Often we only pick up the csound source code to test it in some platform.

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

On 17 Nov 2023, at 04:28, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

Yes, Menno reported it is included with the manual so I think it'll be available for users there. I didn't see it in any installer scripts or used in any of our test CSDs, but I want to make sure I didn't miss anything. 

On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 11:24 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
As long as they are somewhere, I agree we do not need them in two places.  Sorry for the confusion 
Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Berklee College of Music

Do not delete.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Berklee College of Music

Hi All,

Thanks,
Steven

Date2023-11-17 08:13
Fromtjingboem
if they are needed for testing, they are useful. I thought the Soundfont simply was forgotten, but no.

So i closed the issue.

On Fri, Nov 17, 2023 at 7:41 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
I responded there. I am for keeping it there so we can easily use it for testing. Often we only pick up the csound source code to test it in some platform.

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Berklee College of Music

Do not delete.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Berklee College of Music

Hi All,

Thanks,
Steven

Date2023-11-17 18:49
Fromjohn
It seems common in the manual examples

===John ff

Date2023-11-17 18:53
FromSteven Yi
Thanks for following up everyone, all resolved now. 

On Fri, Nov 17, 2023 at 1:41 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

*Warning*

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Berklee College of Music

Do not delete.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Berklee College of Music

Hi All,

Thanks,
Steven