[Csnd-dev] Minimum CMake Version (also OS version support)

Subject[Csnd-dev] Minimum CMake Version (also OS version support)
Hi All,

Seeing the issue with Intl::Intl in recent commits, I wanted to poll to see what the minimum CMake version should be. I see in Debian 11 the latest is 3.18:

https://pkgs.org/download/cmake

Ubuntu 20.04 has 3.16.3.

I think we should do an audit and figure out what the oldest versions of OS versions we should support. For example, Ubuntu 18.04 has already expired for regular support, so I think 20.04 should be the oldest version there (see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases). We can do the same for other distros/operating systems and add a table to our README.md.

Steven

Date2023-11-15 10:11
FromFrancois PINOT
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Minimum CMake Version (also OS version support)
Ubuntu 22.04 has 3.22.1. As a rule of thumb, I'm using Ubuntu with the last LTS version. This means that I upgrade my system every two years. The next LTS version will be available next year (April 2024), and I'll upgrade my system in September. Generally speaking, Ubuntu has more recent versions of packages than Debian. At  my office, we used Debian for servers and Ubuntu for workstations...

François

Le mer. 15 nov. 2023 à 05:54, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> a écrit :
Hi All,

Seeing the issue with Intl::Intl in recent commits, I wanted to poll to see what the minimum CMake version should be. I see in Debian 11 the latest is 3.18:

https://pkgs.org/download/cmake

Ubuntu 20.04 has 3.16.3.

I think we should do an audit and figure out what the oldest versions of OS versions we should support. For example, Ubuntu 18.04 has already expired for regular support, so I think 20.04 should be the oldest version there (see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases). We can do the same for other distros/operating systems and add a table to our README.md.

Steven

Date2023-11-15 13:47
Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Minimum CMake Version (also OS version support)
OpenSuSE as cmake version 3.20.4

==John ff