Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

[Csnd-dev] CsoundAndroid getChannel problem

Date2023-09-07 21:57
FromTarmo Johannes
Subject[Csnd-dev] CsoundAndroid getChannel problem
Hi!

It is probably hard to guess but does anyone have a clue?

I am working on a Qt based Csound project that I want to make work on both desktop and Android. I use the Csound API via C++ (thus no Java), including AndroidCsound.hpp and linking against the -lcsoundandroid -lsndfile -lc++_shared libraries.  CsoundAndroid is  from official Csound downloads:

Everything works fine but I discovered Csound->GetChannel is malfunctioning  - it return always a very small number as if reading from some wrong place in the memory. No error messages.
On desktop it works as expected.

I remembered to have GetChannel functioning correctly in the past, I built the app with csound-android-6.12.0 (that used to work) and everything was correct.

I tried to make a build with 6.16 and 6.17 to figure out when the change can have happened but these builds caused some runtime errors (dlopen failed: cannot locate symbol "__emutls_get_address") and I gave up.

If it of any help, the project is up on:

In this case it is fine for me to stick with 6.12 but would be better to figure out, where is the reason.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks!
tarmo

Date2023-09-07 23:34
FromSteven Yi
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] CsoundAndroid getChannel problem
Only thing I can think of from the top of my head is checking if USE_DOUBLE is set correctly. 

On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 4:58 PM Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi!

I am working on a Qt based Csound project that I want to make work on both desktop and Android. I use the Csound API via C++ (thus no Java), including AndroidCsound.hpp and linking against the -lcsoundandroid -lsndfile -lc++_shared libraries.  CsoundAndroid is  from official Csound downloads:

Everything works fine but I discovered Csound->GetChannel is malfunctioning  - it return always a very small number as if reading from some wrong place in the memory. No error messages.

I remembered to have GetChannel functioning correctly in the past, I built the app with csound-android-6.12.0 (that used to work) and everything was correct.

I tried to make a build with 6.16 and 6.17 to figure out when the change can have happened but these builds caused some runtime errors (dlopen failed: cannot locate symbol "__emutls_get_address") and I gave up.

In this case it is fine for me to stick with 6.12 but would be better to figure out, where is the reason.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks!
tarmo

Date2023-09-22 11:34
FromTarmo Johannes
Hi,

I came back to this project and had strange findings:

With CsoundAndroid 6.18  it does not matter - if I both set or do not set USE_DOUBLE -  MYFLT is always set to double and the results of all get functions, like   Csound->GetSr(), Csound->GetChannel()  are wrong (giving extremely small values).

With CsoundAndroid 6.12, when i do not set USE_DOUBLE then MYFLT stands for float and the return values are correct.

This problem happens only with the android, build on Desktop it is always right. I am testing it on a Samsung S9+ device, arm64 architecture, I use the arm64-v64 libraries to link the app against to:

LIBS +=  -L/home/tarmo/src/csound-android-6.12.0/CsoundForAndroid/CsoundAndroid/src/main/jniLibs/arm64-v8a/ -lcsoundandroid -lsndfile -lc++_shared
(or the ones for csound-android-6.18.0 for the other build).

Does it make any sense?

How can I force MYFLT to be float? With Csound 6.18 just non defining USE_DOUBLE is not enough.

Thanks!
tarmo

Kontakt Steven Yi (<stevenyi@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval R, 8. september 2023 kell 01:34:
Only thing I can think of from the top of my head is checking if USE_DOUBLE is set correctly. 

Hi!

Do you have any idea?

Thanks!
tarmo

Date2023-09-22 11:51
FromGiovanni Bedetti
Hi Tarmo,

not sure how to do it in Android, but in CsoundUnity (written in C#) we do something like this to force Android and iOS devices to interpret MYFLT as a float:

https://github.com/rorywalsh/CsoundUnity/blob/470893372c06da09f7b5de5d1b3f3ed50e277f22/Runtime/CsoundUnity.cs#L38-L42

#if UNITY_EDITOR || UNITY_STANDALONE
using MYFLT = System.Double;
#elif UNITY_ANDROID || UNITY_IOS
using MYFLT = System.Single;
#endif

Hope this helps!

Il giorno ven 22 set 2023 alle ore 11:35 Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> ha scritto:
Hi,

I came back to this project and had strange findings:

With CsoundAndroid 6.18  it does not matter - if I both set or do not set USE_DOUBLE -  MYFLT is always set to double and the results of all get functions, like   Csound->GetSr(), Csound->GetChannel()  are wrong (giving extremely small values).

With CsoundAndroid 6.12, when i do not set USE_DOUBLE then MYFLT stands for float and the return values are correct.

This problem happens only with the android, build on Desktop it is always right. I am testing it on a Samsung S9+ device, arm64 architecture, I use the arm64-v64 libraries to link the app against to:

LIBS +=  -L/home/tarmo/src/csound-android-6.12.0/CsoundForAndroid/CsoundAndroid/src/main/jniLibs/arm64-v8a/ -lcsoundandroid -lsndfile -lc++_shared
(or the ones for csound-android-6.18.0 for the other build).

Does it make any sense?

How can I force MYFLT to be float? With Csound 6.18 just non defining USE_DOUBLE is not enough.

Thanks!
tarmo

Kontakt Steven Yi (<stevenyi@gmail.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval R, 8. september 2023 kell 01:34:

Hi!

Do you have any idea?

Thanks!
tarmo