[Csnd-dev] csound and jack

Date2023-08-11 20:23
FromJohn ff
Subject[Csnd-dev] csound and jack
I am seeking help.

I think having Jack on my new computer would be useful, allowing
audio capture.

My problem is so far have failed to get it to do anything (except I
did get jack to stop audacity doing anything). I found a web page
purporting to show exactly what to do in configure jack, qjackctl and
some other software.  Unfortunately jackd and qjackctl do not have the
same screen interface as the tutorial.

Does anyone know of a resource tho configure jack etc in its current
version?  Or explain to me about pipewire.... or almost anything to
get me up and running?

I am using openSuse 15.5 distro of GNU/Linux

I have also looked at alternatives but I do not have a Mac or Windows
computer.

==John ffitch

Date2023-08-11 20:59
FromKelly Hirai
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] csound and jack
i'm running gentoo on my laptop. i use pipewire-pulse for the built in
interface which i let gnome control.

when i'm using csound, i use jack and run off an external usb interface.
once i plug in my usb interface, i launch qjackctl. i setup the jackd
parameters in the setup box to use the new usb interface, then press the
start button.

then i launch csound with flags to use jack audio. usually it makes i
good connection graph guess, but if it doesn't, i push the "connect"
button on qjackctl and graphically edit the signal path. they recently
made all the nodes movable in the connect(ion) editor. so it might not
look like two side by side lists anymore. also, the audio, and midi
device nodes are all on the same window, just different colors.

i'm not on that machine right now so i can't screenshot.

hope this helps. let me know and later tonight i can boot the laptop and
clarify with some pictures.

kelly

--
kelly hirai
https://hiraimusic.net/~khirai

Date2023-08-11 21:36
FromKelly Hirai
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] csound and jack
one thing i have noticed, is that with pipewire, i seem to be able to
grab the built in interface (hw:0,0) away from it (from pipewire? from
gnome?) and then when i stop jackd (by pushing the stop button in
qjackctl), it is returned. i dont know if its pipewire-alsa's pass
through hw:0,0 or if its bare metal alsa hw:0,0

pipewire seems to be capable of becoming sources for alsa, pulse and
jack so...

k.

--
kelly hirai
https://hiraimusic.net/~khirai

Date2023-08-11 22:19
FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] csound and jack
Attachmentsimage.png
Hi!

This is probably not comforting - I am using jack for all my audio work with no problems on openSuse (15.4), mostly with qjackctl. I find it great, especially due its flexibility to connect/patch  any jack-aware software.

 Might be that there is something special in your setup or some configuration is changed some peculiar way that stands on the way. Hard to tell.

Can you try to run jack in dummy mode to see if it works by itself and if Csound (for example) or any other softeware can connect to it?

This is a screenshot of the qjackctl settings:
image.png

Another thing you can try to kill pulseaudio:

pulseaudio -k

Pulse restarts itself after that but it might clear something.

Not sure if it helps...

tarmo

Kontakt Kelly Hirai (<khirai@hiraimusic.net>) kirjutas kuupäeval R, 11. august 2023 kell 23:38:

--
kelly hirai
https://hiraimusic.net/~khirai

Date2023-08-12 15:56
Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] csound and jack
Thank you for the reply.   am not sure that it helps me; I am way behind.

First  do not run gnome and do not know what it does in audio,

Second I cannot work out what one does to " setup the jackd parameters
in the setup box"for anything, nor what  am attempting to achieve,

I did not understand the rest of your message.  ~It shows te death of my
ignorance!

On Fri, 11 Aug 2023, Kelly Hirai wrote:

> i'm running gentoo on my laptop. i use pipewire-pulse for the built in
> interface which i let gnome control.
>
> when i'm using csound, i use jack and run off an external usb interface. once
> i plug in my usb interface, i launch qjackctl. i setup the jackd parameters
> in the setup box to use the new usb interface, then press the start button.
>
> then i launch csound with flags to use jack audio. usually it makes i good
> connection graph guess, but if it doesn't, i push the "connect" button on
> qjackctl and graphically edit the signal path. they recently made all the
> nodes movable in the connect(ion) editor. so it might not look like two side
> by side lists anymore. also, the audio, and midi device nodes are all on the
> same window, just different colors.
>
> i'm not on that machine right now so i can't screenshot.
>
> hope this helps. let me know and later tonight i can boot the laptop and
> clarify with some pictures.
>
> kelly
>

> On 8/11/23 3:23 PM, John ff wrote:
>> I am seeking help.
>>
>> I think having Jack on my new computer would be useful, allowing
>> audio capture.
>>
>> My problem is so far have failed to get it to do anything (except I
>> did get jack to stop audacity doing anything). I found a web page
>> purporting to show exactly what to do in configure jack, qjackctl and
>> some other software.  Unfortunately jackd and qjackctl do not have the
>> same screen interface as the tutorial.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a resource tho configure jack etc in its current
>> version?  Or explain to me about pipewire.... or almost anything to
>> get me up and running?
>>
>> I am using openSuse 15.5 distro of GNU/Linux
>>
>> I have also looked at alternatives but I do not have a Mac or Windows
>> computer.
>>
>> ==John ffitch
>
> --
> kelly hirai
> https://hiraimusic.net/~khirai

==John ffitch

Date2023-08-12 16:15
Fromjohn

On Sat, 12 Aug 2023, Tarmo Johannes wrote:

> Hi!
>
> This is probably not comforting - I am using jack for all my audio work with
> no problems on openSuse (15.4), mostly with qjackctl. I find it great,
> especially due its flexibility to connect/patch  any jack-aware software.

Thank you; much appreciated.  I have jack and qjackctl installed from
openSuse 15.4 repositories, and think audacity is jack aware.. For csound
I assume I can use librtjack

>  Might be that there is something special in your setup or some
> configuration is changed some peculiar way that stands on the way. Hard to
> tell.

I run a simple system. No desktop metaphor, just fvwm controlling X; xterms,s
and emacs.

> Can you try to run jack in dummy mode to see if it works by itself and if
> Csound (for example) or any other softeware can connect to it?

What does dummy mode do/provide?   How would ?I know if Csound and/or
audacity connect to t?

  I looked at the screen shotand it looks similar to what I see.  Will try
again

> This is a screenshot of the qjackctl settings:
> image.png
>
> Another thing you can try to kill pulseaudio:
>
> pulseaudio -k
>
> Pulse restarts itself after that but it might clear something.
>
> Not sure if it helps...

Yes it helps but I still have a way to go ti know what to do

==John ff

> [...]

>       (except I
>       >> did get jack to stop audacity doing anything). I found a web
>       page
>       >> purporting to show exactly what to do in configure jack,
>       qjackctl and
>       >> some other software.  Unfortunately jackd and qjackctl do not
>       have the
>       >> same screen interface as the tutorial.
>       >>
>       >> Does anyone know of a resource tho configure jack etc in its
>       current
>       >> version?  Or explain to me about pipewire.... or almost
>       anything to
>       >> get me up and running?
>       >>
>       >> I am using openSuse 15.5 distro of GNU/Linux
>       >>
>       >> I have also looked at alternatives but I do not have a Mac or

Date2023-08-14 08:56
FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] csound and jack
Attachmentsimage.png  image.png
Hi!

What I meant -  as first step for testing if things work - is to start jack in dummy mode, so it does not connect to any sound interface, you will not hear a sound but you can see from qjackctl if everything looks correct.

Then start csound, with -odac -+rtaudio=jack, like:

csound -odac -+rtaudio=jack your-file.csd

It should connect automatically to jack outputs. Make sure that your sample rate matches with jack sample rate and ksmps is multiple or fraction of jack buffer size (2 in power of something should do).

You can check the connections from qjackctl  Graph (or Connections with older versions) button.

My screenshot looks like this:
image.png

Of course you can also use command line, if you prefer:

jackd -d dummy &
jack_lsp -c
jack_connect port1 port2  ( if necessary )

If that works then you should configure jack to connect to actual sound card and the rest should be the same. In my case with my laptops internal sound card the settings are:

image.png

Best!
tarmo

Kontakt john (<jpff@codemist.co.uk>) kirjutas kuupäeval L, 12. august 2023 kell 18:15: