Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

[Csnd-dev] Csound API version 6 vs version 7

Date2023-07-02 19:37
FromSUBSCRIBE CSOUND-DEV Anonymous
Subject[Csnd-dev] Csound API version 6 vs version 7
I saw in the following linked comment that it was mentioned that Csound 6 is only getting bugfixes and that Csound 7 is being work on and the API will be changed.

https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/1595#issuecomment-1053581096

I am currently writing .NET bindings for the Csound 6 API. How much will the API change in version 7 from version 6? Is it worth writing new bindings for Csound 6 right now? Will it be relatively easy to update the bindings to Csound 7 (i.e., will the changes be drastic)? When is Csound 7 and the corresponding new API anticipated to be released?

In other words, should I continue writing bindings for Csound 6 or just wait for Csound 7?

Thank you!

Date2023-07-02 22:20
FromVictor Lazzarini
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Csound API version 6 vs version 7
The API for 7 will definitely change. Whether it's worth doing the bindings or not may depend on your timescale needs. We do not have a schedule for the release of Csound 7, and 6.x is currently the stable version.

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

> On 2 Jul 2023, at 19:47, SUBSCRIBE CSOUND-DEV Anonymous  wrote:
>
> *Warning*
>
> This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>
> I saw in the following linked comment that it was mentioned that Csound 6 is only getting bugfixes and that Csound 7 is being work on and the API will be changed.
>
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/1595#issuecomment-1053581096
>
> I am currently writing .NET bindings for the Csound 6 API. How much will the API change in version 7 from version 6? Is it worth writing new bindings for Csound 6 right now? Will it be relatively easy to update the bindings to Csound 7 (i.e., will the changes be drastic)? When is Csound 7 and the corresponding new API anticipated to be released?
>
> In other words, should I continue writing bindings for Csound 6 or just wait for Csound 7?
>
> Thank you!

Date2023-07-02 22:23
FromBlake Mitchell
> The API for 7 will definitely change.

In drastic ways?

What is the general approximate timeframe of Csound 7? 6 months? 1 year? 3 years?

On Sun, Jul 2, 2023 at 5:21 PM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
The API for 7 will definitely change. Whether it's worth doing the bindings or not may depend on your timescale needs. We do not have a schedule for the release of Csound 7, and 6.x is currently the stable version.

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

> On 2 Jul 2023, at 19:47, SUBSCRIBE CSOUND-DEV Anonymous <bmitchell33@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> *Warning*
>
> This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>
> I saw in the following linked comment that it was mentioned that Csound 6 is only getting bugfixes and that Csound 7 is being work on and the API will be changed.
>
>
> I am currently writing .NET bindings for the Csound 6 API. How much will the API change in version 7 from version 6? Is it worth writing new bindings for Csound 6 right now? Will it be relatively easy to update the bindings to Csound 7 (i.e., will the changes be drastic)? When is Csound 7 and the corresponding new API anticipated to be released?
>
> In other words, should I continue writing bindings for Csound 6 or just wait for Csound 7?
>
> Thank you!

Date2023-07-03 09:04
FromVictor Lazzarini
We don't know. It's not going to be 6 months, but maybe a year or two. At the moment we're not making much progress because it's only about two or three of us who are trying to push through.

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

On 2 Jul 2023, at 22:24, Blake Mitchell <bmitchell33@gmail.com> wrote:

In drastic ways?

What is the general approximate timeframe of Csound 7? 6 months? 1 year? 3 years?

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

> On 2 Jul 2023, at 19:47, SUBSCRIBE CSOUND-DEV Anonymous <bmitchell33@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> *Warning*
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Thank you!

Date2023-07-03 09:08
FromBlake Mitchell
Thank you, Victor. That gives me enough of an idea that it's not wasted time working on the bindings for Csound 6 at the moment.

On Mon, Jul 3, 2023 at 4:04 AM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
We don't know. It's not going to be 6 months, but maybe a year or two. At the moment we're not making much progress because it's only about two or three of us who are trying to push through.

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

On 2 Jul 2023, at 22:24, Blake Mitchell <bmitchell33@gmail.com> wrote:

In drastic ways?

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

>
> *Warning*
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Thank you!