[Csnd-dev] Csound API version 6 vs version 7

Date2023-07-02 19:37
FromSUBSCRIBE CSOUND-DEV Anonymous
Subject[Csnd-dev] Csound API version 6 vs version 7
I saw in the following linked comment that it was mentioned that Csound 6 is only getting bugfixes and that Csound 7 is being work on and the API will be changed.

https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/1595#issuecomment-1053581096

I am currently writing .NET bindings for the Csound 6 API. How much will the API change in version 7 from version 6? Is it worth writing new bindings for Csound 6 right now? Will it be relatively easy to update the bindings to Csound 7 (i.e., will the changes be drastic)? When is Csound 7 and the corresponding new API anticipated to be released?

In other words, should I continue writing bindings for Csound 6 or just wait for Csound 7?

Thank you!

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Csound API version 6 vs version 7
The API for 7 will definitely change. Whether it's worth doing the bindings or not may depend on your timescale needs. We do not have a schedule for the release of Csound 7, and 6.x is currently the stable version.

> On 2 Jul 2023, at 19:47, SUBSCRIBE CSOUND-DEV Anonymous  wrote:
>
> *Warning*
>
> This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>
> I saw in the following linked comment that it was mentioned that Csound 6 is only getting bugfixes and that Csound 7 is being work on and the API will be changed.
>
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/1595#issuecomment-1053581096
>
> I am currently writing .NET bindings for the Csound 6 API. How much will the API change in version 7 from version 6? Is it worth writing new bindings for Csound 6 right now? Will it be relatively easy to update the bindings to Csound 7 (i.e., will the changes be drastic)? When is Csound 7 and the corresponding new API anticipated to be released?
>
> In other words, should I continue writing bindings for Csound 6 or just wait for Csound 7?
>
> Thank you!

Date2023-07-02 22:23
FromBlake Mitchell
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Csound API version 6 vs version 7
> The API for 7 will definitely change.

In drastic ways?

What is the general approximate timeframe of Csound 7? 6 months? 1 year? 3 years?

On Sun, Jul 2, 2023 at 5:21 PM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
The API for 7 will definitely change. Whether it's worth doing the bindings or not may depend on your timescale needs. We do not have a schedule for the release of Csound 7, and 6.x is currently the stable version.

> On 2 Jul 2023, at 19:47, SUBSCRIBE CSOUND-DEV Anonymous <bmitchell33@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> *Warning*
>
> This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>
> I saw in the following linked comment that it was mentioned that Csound 6 is only getting bugfixes and that Csound 7 is being work on and the API will be changed.
>
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/1595#issuecomment-1053581096
>
> I am currently writing .NET bindings for the Csound 6 API. How much will the API change in version 7 from version 6? Is it worth writing new bindings for Csound 6 right now? Will it be relatively easy to update the bindings to Csound 7 (i.e., will the changes be drastic)? When is Csound 7 and the corresponding new API anticipated to be released?
>
> In other words, should I continue writing bindings for Csound 6 or just wait for Csound 7?
>
> Thank you!

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Csound API version 6 vs version 7
We don't know. It's not going to be 6 months, but maybe a year or two. At the moment we're not making much progress because it's only about two or three of us who are trying to push through.

On 2 Jul 2023, at 22:24, Blake Mitchell <bmitchell33@gmail.com> wrote:

> The API for 7 will definitely change.

In drastic ways?

What is the general approximate timeframe of Csound 7? 6 months? 1 year? 3 years?

On Sun, Jul 2, 2023 at 5:21 PM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
The API for 7 will definitely change. Whether it's worth doing the bindings or not may depend on your timescale needs. We do not have a schedule for the release of Csound 7, and 6.x is currently the stable version.

> On 2 Jul 2023, at 19:47, SUBSCRIBE CSOUND-DEV Anonymous <bmitchell33@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> *Warning*
>
> This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>
> I saw in the following linked comment that it was mentioned that Csound 6 is only getting bugfixes and that Csound 7 is being work on and the API will be changed.
>
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/1595#issuecomment-1053581096
>
> I am currently writing .NET bindings for the Csound 6 API. How much will the API change in version 7 from version 6? Is it worth writing new bindings for Csound 6 right now? Will it be relatively easy to update the bindings to Csound 7 (i.e., will the changes be drastic)? When is Csound 7 and the corresponding new API anticipated to be released?
>
> In other words, should I continue writing bindings for Csound 6 or just wait for Csound 7?
>
> Thank you!

Date2023-07-03 09:08
FromBlake Mitchell
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Csound API version 6 vs version 7
Thank you, Victor. That gives me enough of an idea that it's not wasted time working on the bindings for Csound 6 at the moment.