[Csnd-dev] New cloud-music pieces

Subject[Csnd-dev] New cloud-music pieces
I have posted to https://gogins.github.io/cloud-music/ one more finished piece, and a number of unfinished or experimental pieces. These are interesting because they integrate my algorithmic composition CsoundAC, or at least the Chords and Scales from CsoundAC, into the Strudel live coding environment, which is embedded in these pieces. See in particular https://gogins.github.io/cloud-music/scale_example_4.html.

For those who have not yet seen these, cloud-music is a GitHub repository (https://github.com/gogins/cloud-music) that acts as a Web site hosting these pieces, which use WebAssembly builds of Csound and CsoundAC, along with many JavaScript libraries and HTML. The pieces will run on all current browsers and even on powerful smartphones. The pieces are designed to run indefinitely. The user may be able to control some aspects of the pieces.

It's also possible to fork the repository and use your local clone of that fork to develop your own pieces. There are no external dependendencies, all libraries and other dependencies are statically served.

In other words, fork the repo and you have a complete working installation of Csound and CsoundAC.

Best,

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New cloud-music pieces

On Mon, Jan 16, 2023 at 5:35 PM Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] New cloud-music pieces
This is great. I think more should be made out of the combination of tools and its potential for others to use. CDM should know about this.
When you google strudel you only see tone.js and supercollider mentioned. What you are doing here looks much better.

On 16 Jan 2023, at 22:35, Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

[...]

FromOeyvind Brandtsegg
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New cloud-music pieces
Michael,
Thanks for these inspiring pieces of music, and pieces of code. It is an impressive system and lends itself to hours of study.
I would like to understand it better. Is the composition fully defined by the code in strudel-repl, or are there other sections of the html file that also defines each composition? I do not fully understand how strudel and CsoundAC are connected.

Thanks again
All best
Øyvind

man. 16. jan. 2023 kl. 23:35 skrev Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com>:
[...]

Thanks! What is CDM?

Regards,
Mike

https://cdm.link/

> On 17 Jan 2023, at 11:59, Michael Gogins  wrote:
>
> Thanks! What is CDM?
>
> Regards,
> Mike
>
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2023, 02:11 Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
> This is great. I think more should be made out of the combination of tools and its potential for others to use. CDM should know about this.
> When you google strudel you only see tone.js and supercollider mentioned. What you are doing here looks much better.

>> On 16 Jan 2023, at 22:35, Michael Gogins  wrote:
>>

>> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>> I have posted to https://gogins.github.io/cloud-music/ one more finished piece, and a number of unfinished or experimental pieces. These are interesting because they integrate my algorithmic composition CsoundAC, or at least the Chords and Scales from CsoundAC, into the Strudel live coding environment, which is embedded in these pieces. See in particular https://gogins.github.io/cloud-music/scale_example_4.html.
>>
>> For those who have not yet seen these, cloud-music is a GitHub repository (https://github.com/gogins/cloud-music) that acts as a Web site hosting these pieces, which use WebAssembly builds of Csound and CsoundAC, along with many JavaScript libraries and HTML. The pieces will run on all current browsers and even on powerful smartphones. The pieces are designed to run indefinitely. The user may be able to control some aspects of the pieces.
>>
>> It's also possible to fork the repository and use your local clone of that fork to develop your own pieces. There are no external dependendencies, all libraries and other dependencies are statically served.
>>
>> In other words, fork the repo and you have a complete working installation of Csound and CsoundAC.
>>
>> Best,
>> Mike
>> Michael Gogins
>> Irreducible Productions
>> http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
>> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com
>> Csound mailing list Csound@listserv.heanet.ie https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] New cloud-music pieces
Nice music!

there's an annoying padding that can be fixed with adding these css rules

.w3-container {
  position: absolute;
  top: 0;
  left: 0;
  right: 0;
  bottom: 0;
}
.w3-bar {
  z-index: 1;
}

I can also suggest adding this to body to prevent overscrolling on osx

body {
    overscroll-behavior-y: none;
    overscroll-behavior-x: none;
}

On Tue, 17 Jan 2023 at 13:01, Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I'll try that.

Regards,
Mike

On Tue, Jan 17, 2023, 07:40 Hlöðver Sigurðsson <hlolli@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

FromKelly Hirai
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New cloud-music pieces
these are pretty amazing. i'll look through the code when i'm less
tired, but these are hitting this morning back to work meditations.

k.

--
kelly hirai
https://hiraimusic.net/~khirai

SubjectRe: [Csnd] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd] New cloud-music pieces
Thanks again, your styles fixed the redundant scroll bar on the left.

Regards,

On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 8:51 AM Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

FromST Music
SubjectRe: [Csnd] New cloud-music pieces
These are great, thank you for sharing.

Scott

On Mon, Jan 16, 2023, 5:35 p.m. Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your appreciation!

I can't remember if I responded to your email before. Anyway, this particular piece is fully defined by the code in strudel-repl. But it would be possible to use other code in other places in the html file to generate notes at the same time.

There are two aspects to my use of Strudel.

First, Strudel now has defined a "csound" output as well as a slightly different "csoundm" output. These are now part of Strudel's main branch. If a Web page already contains a __csound__ object, then Strudel uses that (this is what my pieces do). Otherwise, Strudel goes ahead and creates its own embedded instance of Csound. This csound package was created by Felix Roos, one of the main programmers of Strudel, at my suggestion and with my assistance.

Second, I have created two addons to Strudel. These are not in Strudel's repository, they are in my cloud-music repository. And one reason for that is I don't know how to make CsoundAC into a proper npm package, since it is essentially C++ code that is compiled to WebAssembly.

My first addon is the HTML repl component, which I have made scriptable so that the JavaScript code that starts and stops Csound can start and stop the Strudel repl as well.

My second addon is the csoundac module. This is maintained in my cloud-music repository outside of Strudel but copied into the Strudel packages before Strudel is built. This module exports all the Chord and Scale functions that the scale example pieces use. My repl component just imports this csoundac module just as it imports all the regular Strudel modules.

It might also be helpful to understand how notes work in Strudel. There are two layers of meaning for a "note". There is the Pattern level. Each Pattern is implicitly a cyclic function of time, which can have a pitch value (or other values) at any phase of the cycle. The csoundac module works on these pitch values by conforming them to a pattern of scales and/or chords. And then there is the output level. At the output level, the Pattern pitch becomes a note that is sent to an actual audio output which can be Tone.js, WebDirt, or Csound.

Because these two layers of meaning for "pitch" or "note" are not necessarily congruent, at times, one sees the piano roll display jump from one set of notes to another without that being audible. This reflects the pitches of the Patterns being changed by the csoundac module, but the pitches are not yet sent as actual sounding notes to an output.

Hope this helps,