[Csnd-dev] terminology

Subject[Csnd-dev] terminology
hi all -

i am writing a new GETTING STARTED (for the floss manual, but can also
be linked to the website perhaps), and i have two questions about
terminology:

1. is it correct to call sr, ksmps, nchnls and 0dbfs "constants"?
in the reference manual, it is only called "orchestra header
statements", but i think this term is too general.

2. is it correct to call 0.2 and 400 "arguments" in the line
	aSine = poscil:a(0.2,400) ?
should "arguments" only be used for input?
or should we call both, the inputs and outputs of an opcode "arguments"?

thanks -

FromDave Seidel
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] terminology
IMO...

1. Constants seem fine, since they can't be changed once the orchestra is running.
2. The term "arguments" should only be used for inputs to an opcode (or more generally, to a function)

- Dave

On Sun, Jan 15, 2023 at 10:35 AM joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de> wrote:
hi all -

i am writing a new GETTING STARTED (for the floss manual, but can also
be linked to the website perhaps), and i have two questions about
terminology:

1. is it correct to call sr, ksmps, nchnls and 0dbfs "constants"?
in the reference manual, it is only called "orchestra header
statements", but i think this term is too general.

2. is it correct to call 0.2 and 400 "arguments" in the line
        aSine = poscil:a(0.2,400) ?
should "arguments" only be used for input?
or should we call both, the inputs and outputs of an opcode "arguments"?

thanks -

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] terminology
makes sense to me, dave.  thanks!

On 15/01/2023 16:54, Dave Seidel wrote:
> IMO...
>
> 1. Constants seem fine, since they can't be changed once the orchestra
> is running.
> 2. The term "arguments" should only be used for inputs to an opcode (or
> more generally, to a function)
>
> - Dave
>
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2023 at 10:35 AM joachim heintz  > wrote:
>
>     hi all -
>
>     i am writing a new GETTING STARTED (for the floss manual, but can also
>     be linked to the website perhaps), and i have two questions about
>     terminology:
>
>     1. is it correct to call sr, ksmps, nchnls and 0dbfs "constants"?
>     in the reference manual, it is only called "orchestra header
>     statements", but i think this term is too general.
>
>     2. is it correct to call 0.2 and 400 "arguments" in the line
>              aSine = poscil:a(0.2,400) ?
>     should "arguments" only be used for input?
>     or should we call both, the inputs and outputs of an opcode "arguments"?
>
>     thanks -
>              joachim

Date2023-01-16 12:17
FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] terminology
I'd still mention ksmps being a variable in instrument scope (local-ksmps)

On Sun, 15 Jan 2023 at 19:57, joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de> wrote:
makes sense to me, dave.  thanks!

On 15/01/2023 16:54, Dave Seidel wrote:
> IMO...
>
> 1. Constants seem fine, since they can't be changed once the orchestra
> is running.
> 2. The term "arguments" should only be used for inputs to an opcode (or
> more generally, to a function)
>
> - Dave
>
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2023 at 10:35 AM joachim heintz <jh@joachimheintz.de
> <mailto:jh@joachimheintz.de>> wrote:
>
>     hi all -
>
>     i am writing a new GETTING STARTED (for the floss manual, but can also
>     be linked to the website perhaps), and i have two questions about
>     terminology:
>
>     1. is it correct to call sr, ksmps, nchnls and 0dbfs "constants"?
>     in the reference manual, it is only called "orchestra header
>     statements", but i think this term is too general.
>
>     2. is it correct to call 0.2 and 400 "arguments" in the line
>              aSine = poscil:a(0.2,400) ?
>     should "arguments" only be used for input?
>     or should we call both, the inputs and outputs of an opcode "arguments"?
>
>     thanks -
>              joachim

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] terminology
agreed.  the question is whether it is good to put in a beginner's
tutorial or not.  but actually this is an important point, and one of
the strengths of csound.  i think i can find a way ...
cheers -
	joachim