Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

[Csnd-dev] csound-plugins api version for 7?

Date2022-11-09 11:11
FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
Subject[Csnd-dev] csound-plugins api version for 7?
I'm wondering as I'm creating a nix expression for csound-7 with the plugins, if we should start using api version 7 by default, or by a cmake flag? Currently it's set to 6 and write on osx to Library/csound/6.0/plugins64

https://github.com/csound/plugins/blob/develop/CMakeLists.txt#L13

Date2022-11-09 11:31
FromVictor Lazzarini
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] csound-plugins api version for 7?
The problem with plugins is that the API will definitely change, so I am not sure what is the best way to go forward.

========================
Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

> On 9 Nov 2022, at 11:11, Hlöðver Sigurðsson  wrote:
> 
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> I'm wondering as I'm creating a nix expression for csound-7 with the plugins, if we should start using api version 7 by default, or by a cmake flag? Currently it's set to 6 and write on osx to Library/csound/6.0/plugins64
> 
> https://github.com/csound/plugins/blob/develop/CMakeLists.txt#L13

Date2022-11-09 12:51
FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
maybe first commit those changes in csound7 (develop), or have these api changes been implemented?

On Wed, 9 Nov 2022 at 12:32, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
The problem with plugins is that the API will definitely change, so I am not sure what is the best way to go forward.

========================
Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

> On 9 Nov 2022, at 11:11, Hlöðver Sigurðsson <hlolli@GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> I'm wondering as I'm creating a nix expression for csound-7 with the plugins, if we should start using api version 7 by default, or by a cmake flag? Currently it's set to 6 and write on osx to Library/csound/6.0/plugins64
>

Date2022-11-09 13:09
FromSteven Yi
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] csound-plugins api version for 7?
CMake flag would make sense to me for short term (i.e., check if the
user has set APIVERSION on commandline and only default to 6.0 if it
isn't set). That'll work for short-term, but longer term there'll
probably be a significant break at some point that requires modifying
code in the plugins. At that point, might need to make a csound6
branch for the plugins (mirroring what we have in csound repo)

On Wed, Nov 9, 2022 at 6:12 AM Hlöðver Sigurðsson  wrote:
>
>

Date2022-11-09 13:30
FromVictor Lazzarini
The API changes will have to come at the end, so we don't know yet.

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

On 9 Nov 2022, at 12:53, Hlöðver Sigurðsson <hlolli@gmail.com> wrote:

maybe first commit those changes in csound7 (develop), or have these api changes been implemented?

========================
Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

>
>

Date2022-11-09 13:32
FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
I don't see a problem with breaking compatibility while developing csound7, it would just mean that it's required to rebuild the plugins along with csound7's breaking changes?

On Wed, 9 Nov 2022 at 14:30, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

========================
Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

>
>

Date2022-11-09 13:53
FromVictor Lazzarini
The only thing I worry is that things will change and then the plugins will not work anymore. 

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

On 9 Nov 2022, at 13:35, Hlöðver Sigurðsson <hlolli@gmail.com> wrote:

I don't see a problem with breaking compatibility while developing csound7, it would just mean that it's required to rebuild the plugins along with csound7's breaking changes?

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

========================
Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

>
>

Date2022-11-09 13:58
FromHlöðver Sigurðsson
then Steven's suggestion is a good one, building csound7 plugins will be non-default (defaulting to csound6), controlled with a flag. Breaking the plugins will be good to know earlier than later.

On Wed, 9 Nov 2022 at 14:53, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
The only thing I worry is that things will change and then the plugins will not work anymore. 

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

========================
Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

>
>

Date2022-11-09 14:34
FromVictor Lazzarini
sounds good to me

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

On 9 Nov 2022, at 14:02, Hlöðver Sigurðsson <hlolli@gmail.com> wrote:

then Steven's suggestion is a good one, building csound7 plugins will be non-default (defaulting to csound6), controlled with a flag. Breaking the plugins will be good to know earlier than later.

On Wed, 9 Nov 2022 at 14:53, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

========================
Prof. Victor Lazzarini
Maynooth University
Ireland

>
>