[Csnd-dev] exported symbols issue

Subject[Csnd-dev] exported symbols issue
This issue

https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/1647

found a problem in CMakeLists.txt where CMAKE_C_FLAGS was replaced and so -fvisibility=hidden disappeared from the cc command lines. So all symbols got exported.

I checked and the release build for MacOS still had the important -O3 etc flags, all that was removed of importance appeared to be the visibility. So I think the package is good, and Windows is not affected. Extra exported symbols may not cause much difficulty on MacOS.

However this may be an issue for linux distros. So the question is whether we need a 6.18.1? Or just a CMakeLists.txt patch would be sufficient?

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] exported symbols issue
Hm, something got merged to master already and it says 6.19.0?  Doing
another 6.18.1 would be fine with me.

On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 7:23 AM Victor Lazzarini  wrote:

> This issue
>
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/1647
>
> found a problem in CMakeLists.txt where CMAKE_C_FLAGS was replaced and so -fvisibility=hidden disappeared from the cc command lines. So all symbols got exported.
>
> I checked and the release build for MacOS still had the important -O3 etc flags, all that was removed of importance appeared to be the visibility. So I think the package is good, and Windows is not affected. Extra exported symbols may not cause much difficulty on MacOS.
>
> However this may be an issue for linux distros. So the question is whether we need a 6.18.1? Or just a CMakeLists.txt patch would be sufficient?
>
> ========================

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] exported symbols issue
I fixed that issue. It was a mistake commit that should have gone into csound6.
I don’t know if I think 6.18.1 is a good idea or not.
We took absolutely ages to get this out and now having to do it again is a pain.

> On 1 Nov 2022, at 17:09, Steven Yi  wrote:
>
> *Warning*
>
> This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
>
> Hm, something got merged to master already and it says 6.19.0?  Doing
> another 6.18.1 would be fine with me.
>
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 7:23 AM Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>>
>> This issue
>>
>> https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fcsound%2Fcsound%2Fissues%2F1647&data=05%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7C6a117d206cb24577f47208dabc2c0805%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C0%7C0%7C638029194537833643%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=bohTWF9Tf76Wd7VVcz64UqX3X8SZFlMlSD0%2B4Q8qkY0%3D&reserved=0
>>
>> found a problem in CMakeLists.txt where CMAKE_C_FLAGS was replaced and so -fvisibility=hidden disappeared from the cc command lines. So all symbols got exported.
>>
>> I checked and the release build for MacOS still had the important -O3 etc flags, all that was removed of importance appeared to be the visibility. So I think the package is good, and Windows is not affected. Extra exported symbols may not cause much difficulty on MacOS.
>>
>> However this may be an issue for linux distros. So the question is whether we need a 6.18.1? Or just a CMakeLists.txt patch would be sufficient?
>>
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] exported symbols issue
The changes are not reverted on master:

https://github.com/csound/csound/commits/master

It has two commits from today.

At this point doing a release for Android is just running a few
scripts. I'd be happy to do it since there's been little change. That
said, if this is only affecting linux users and mostly package
maintainers, maybe they can just point to to git has with the fix
instead of tag name to get the fix.