[Csnd-dev] Any interest in making an 'uninstaller' for Csound

Date2022-10-10 01:55
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
Subject[Csnd-dev] Any interest in making an 'uninstaller' for Csound
Hello Developers,

Many of us, myself included, have been having issues with running Csound (and CsoundQt) on new MacBook Pro (M1 or M2) machines.

(the college recently upgraded the faculty Intel machines to these to be in sync with the students.). I got it to run initially, but then it crashed and after that I could not get it going again until days of trial and failure.

Typically I just have the students (and me) reinstall a clean copy of Csound 6.17 from Csound.com (or a clean Cabbage)

As all of you know, it is nice, if you 'brew install csound' that you can 'brew uninstall csound'; but that doesn't necessarily leave your machine Csound-Free prior to the re-install. (especially if you installed Csound from Cabbage or installed Csound from the site.)

Any hope for a Mac-based uninstaller?
or better yet...
Any hope for an M1 version of Csound 6.18?
and...
Any hope for an M1 CsoundQt?
and...
Any hope for an M1 Cabbage?

Any of these would be the most wonderful SWAG to bring home from the ICSC2022.

Take care everyone.

See you soon in Ireland!

- Dr.B

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing & Technology Division

Date2022-10-10 09:25
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Any interest in making an 'uninstaller' for Csound
Hi Ricahrd. To uninstall canonical Csound on any Mac all you have to do is bin the CsoundLib64.framework. Simple as that. Every Csound related lives inside that framework package. Victor has an M1 installer for Mac ready to do. I assume it will be available for 6.18. M1 Cabbage will be available as soon as the Csound version is out. I'm really hoping that 6.18 is out before the Csound conference.

On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 at 01:57, Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
[...]

Date2022-10-10 14:03
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Any interest in making an 'uninstaller' for Csound
Thanks!

Hope you are well.

Hoping for the M1 versions as all my students are now being issued M1 MacBooks as part of their tuition

On Oct 10, 2022, at 4:26 AM, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

[...]

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Any interest in making an 'uninstaller' for Csound
This is the link for the installer Rory was talking about. This is a 6.18-beta built on the 29/09, should run on all arm64 and x86_64 machines.

https://maynoothuniversity-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/victor_lazzarini_mu_ie/EUCB92fsthBElk9nDPpWVK4BAAsXl-jGM4z2Uvb42jx8fw?e=0sulIG

Note that CsoundQT and Cabbage are currently only built for x86_64.

> On 10 Oct 2022, at 14:03, Dr. Richard Boulanger  wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Thanks!
>
> Hope you are well.
>
> Hoping for the M1 versions as all my students are now being issued M1 MacBooks as part of their tuition
>
> Dr. Richard Boulanger
> Professor
> Electronic Production and Design
> Berklee College of Music
>
>> On Oct 10, 2022, at 4:26 AM, Rory Walsh  wrote:
>>

>> Hi Ricahrd. To uninstall canonical Csound on any Mac all you have to do is bin the CsoundLib64.framework. Simple as that. Every Csound related lives inside that framework package. Victor has an M1 installer for Mac ready to do. I assume it will be available for 6.18. M1 Cabbage will be available as soon as the Csound version is out. I'm really hoping that 6.18 is out before the Csound conference.
>>

>> On Mon, 10 Oct 2022 at 01:57, Dr. Richard Boulanger  wrote:
>> Hello Developers,
>>
>> Many of us, myself included, have been having issues with running Csound (and CsoundQt) on new MacBook Pro (M1 or M2) machines.
>>
>> (the college recently upgraded the faculty Intel machines to these to be in sync with the students.). I got it to run initially, but then it crashed and after that I could not get it going again until days of trial and failure.
>>
>> Typically I just have the students (and me) reinstall a clean copy of Csound 6.17 from Csound.com (or a clean Cabbage)
>>
>> As all of you know, it is nice, if you 'brew install csound' that you can 'brew uninstall csound'; but that doesn't necessarily leave your machine Csound-Free prior to the re-install. (especially if you installed Csound from Cabbage or installed Csound from the site.)
>>
>> Any hope for a Mac-based uninstaller?
>> or better yet...
>> Any hope for an M1 version of Csound 6.18?
>> and...
>> Any hope for an M1 CsoundQt?
>> and...
>> Any hope for an M1 Cabbage?
>>
>> Any of these would be the most wonderful SWAG to bring home from the ICSC2022.
>>
>> Take care everyone.
>>
>> See you soon in Ireland!
>>
>> - Dr.B
>>
>> Dr. Richard Boulanger
>> Professor
>> Electronic Production and Design
>> Berklee College of Music
>> Professional Writing & Technology Division

Date2022-10-10 17:26
FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Any interest in making an 'uninstaller' for Csound
Hi,

When Csound M1 is out and I could get remote access via Anydesk or VNCViewer I would be happy to try to do also a arm64 build of CsoundQt. Richard, do you see any possibility for that? Perhaps let's write off-list.

Greetings,
Tarmo

E, 10. oktoober 2022 11:25 Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> kirjutas:
[...]

Date2022-10-10 17:31
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Any interest in making an 'uninstaller' for Csound
Tarmo - Happy to help in any way I can. I have been excited (and super supported) by the fact that I can do a developer build of Csound6 and still use CsoundQt as my IDE when I choose 'run in term' and teach with the same version that the students have installed when I choose 'run'.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 12:28 PM Tarmo Johannes <trmjhnns@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Note: if you're using Homebrew to build Csound you're always going to
get a single architecture build and not a universal build. That's not
something that can be easily worked around for Homebrew as far as I
know. Once Cabbage and CsoundQT are universal or arm64 builds, you
should be fine to switch between the universal csound build release or
homebrew builds.