[Csnd-dev] 64bit build on Windows XP 64

Date2021-07-04 00:59
FromRichard Knight
Subject[Csnd-dev] 64bit build on Windows XP 64
Hi
For vaguely justifiable reasons I'm trying to get Csound running on the
64bit version of Windows XP.
Some of the 64 bit binaries in the releases up to 6.08 work, most fail
initially with a procedure entry point error regarding inet_pton which
appeared in Vista (given the dialog box title seems to be to do with
fluidsynth). After 6.08, none of the binaries work.

I have a VS2019 environment on Win10 with the v141_xp platform toolset,
and had to do some slight alterations (namely bits with
InterlockedExchange8/InterlockedExchangeAdd8 and InitOnceExecuteOnce,
which aren't available in XP), and things were looking quite promising,
but now I'm a bit stuck with threads.
There are quite a few things in threads.c that aren't available on XP,
eg InitializeConditionVariable. I have started to try and use the
pthread package from vcpkg in place of native Windows threads but may be
getting myself into more problems down the line.
Before I do I thought I would see if anyone has any advice. I realise XP
is well out of support so might be a bit of a dead end. I have not tried
building with MSYS yet so perhaps there could be more joy with that
route.

thanks
Richard

Date2021-07-05 15:17
FromRichard Knight
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] 64bit build on Windows XP 64
I have a working build now, although not completely tested, the
contentious bits seem to be addressed so looks good. The actual code
needed only few minor tweaks in the end, and most of the pain was around
the tooling and alternative threading library (pthreads4w, non-MinGW
pthreads).
This should work on newer versions of windows except for the reliance on
an environment variable (LOCALAPPDIR, in XP it's APPDIR, causes a
segfault). I considered making everything conditional and then
submitting a PR, but given the probable low demand combined with
awkwardness of tooling, it's probably not that worth it.

If anyone is interested the binaries are here, and if the topic comes up
anywhere please do point in my direction and I may be able to help.

http://csound.1bpm.net/builds/Csound_6.17_develop-d60686_XP64.zip

On 2021-07-04 00:59, Richard Knight wrote:
> Hi
> For vaguely justifiable reasons I'm trying to get Csound running on
> the 64bit version of Windows XP.
> Some of the 64 bit binaries in the releases up to 6.08 work, most fail
> initially with a procedure entry point error regarding inet_pton which
> appeared in Vista (given the dialog box title seems to be to do with
> fluidsynth). After 6.08, none of the binaries work.
>
> I have a VS2019 environment on Win10 with the v141_xp platform
> toolset, and had to do some slight alterations (namely bits with
> InterlockedExchange8/InterlockedExchangeAdd8 and InitOnceExecuteOnce,
> which aren't available in XP), and things were looking quite
> promising, but now I'm a bit stuck with threads.
> There are quite a few things in threads.c that aren't available on XP,
> eg InitializeConditionVariable. I have started to try and use the
> pthread package from vcpkg in place of native Windows threads but may
> be getting myself into more problems down the line.
> Before I do I thought I would see if anyone has any advice. I realise
> XP is well out of support so might be a bit of a dead end. I have not
> tried building with MSYS yet so perhaps there could be more joy with
> that route.
>
> thanks
> Richard

Date2021-07-05 19:47
FromTarmo Johannes
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] 64bit build on Windows XP 64
Hi!

I think this is marvellous! I am sure there is still enough XP-s around, would be great to have a newer Csound available for them.

tarmo

Kontakt Richard Knight (<richard@1bpm.net>) kirjutas kuupƤeval E, 5. juuli 2021 kell 17:17:

On 2021-07-04 00:59, Richard Knight wrote:
> Hi
> For vaguely justifiable reasons I'm trying to get Csound running on
> the 64bit version of Windows XP.
> Some of the 64 bit binaries in the releases up to 6.08 work, most fail
> initially with a procedure entry point error regarding inet_pton which
> appeared in Vista (given the dialog box title seems to be to do with
> fluidsynth). After 6.08, none of the binaries work.
>
> I have a VS2019 environment on Win10 with the v141_xp platform
> toolset, and had to do some slight alterations (namely bits with
> InterlockedExchange8/InterlockedExchangeAdd8 and InitOnceExecuteOnce,
> which aren't available in XP), and things were looking quite
> promising, but now I'm a bit stuck with threads.
> There are quite a few things in threads.c that aren't available on XP,
> eg InitializeConditionVariable. I have started to try and use the
> pthread package from vcpkg in place of native Windows threads but may
> be getting myself into more problems down the line.
> Before I do I thought I would see if anyone has any advice. I realise
> XP is well out of support so might be a bit of a dead end. I have not
> tried building with MSYS yet so perhaps there could be more joy with
> that route.
>
> thanks
> Richard

Date2021-07-10 04:39
FromRichard Knight
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] 64bit build on Windows XP 64

Thank you!
There are some limitations namely the Fluid opcodes and virtual keyboard don't work at the moment.
These are described on the page below which I have just updated with a 32-bit build for XP too, and will keep updated with any future builds.

http://csound.1bpm.net/builds/

Richard

Hi!