[Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment

Subject[Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
Hi everyone,

it would be useful if we could set up a CI for MacOS deployment as we do with Windows. At the moment we have it building
on Travis just to catch build issues, but it would be good to have it somewhere running with the install script.
Does anyone know where/how we could do it?

The install script should do most of the job, the main thing to do is to get the dependencies (which have now been
reduced to a few) from somewhere and adjust the script to copy and install them.

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/develop/installer/macosx/release-build-azure.sh

This is the script I was using to automate builds on my Azure account. But I think it might be time to consolidate all builds into one system. I use Azure to produce beta Cabbage builds for Mac, Windows and Linux. I think Github actions also allows cross platform builds. Github is now owned by MS right? I wonder what the main differences are. I have some experience with Azure DevOps. I think if I can automate a Windows build there we might be able to move from AppVeyor. I'm happy to give it some time. But I think we need to decide if Azure DevOps is an appropriate platform.

On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 10:42, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Hi everyone,

it would be useful if we could set up a CI for MacOS deployment as we do with Windows. At the moment we have it building
on Travis just to catch build issues, but it would be good to have it somewhere running with the install script.
Does anyone know where/how we could do it?

The install script should do most of the job, the main thing to do is to get the dependencies (which have now been
reduced to a few) from somewhere and adjust the script to copy and install them.

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
Thanks. Is this script currently producing an installer package? Can we try deploying it from Azure as we do with Appveyor?
I don’t mind for the moment using different CI providers, we can try to consolidate later.

> On 14 Jul 2021, at 10:54, Rory Walsh  wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/develop/installer/macosx/release-build-azure.sh
>
> This is the script I was using to automate builds on my Azure account. But I think it might be time to consolidate all builds into one system. I use Azure to produce beta Cabbage builds for Mac, Windows and Linux. I think Github actions also allows cross platform builds. Github is now owned by MS right? I wonder what the main differences are. I have some experience with Azure DevOps. I think if I can automate a Windows build there we might be able to move from AppVeyor. I'm happy to give it some time. But I think we need to decide if Azure DevOps is an appropriate platform.
>
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 10:42, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> it would be useful if we could set up a CI for MacOS deployment as we do with Windows. At the moment we have it building
> on Travis just to catch build issues, but it would be good to have it somewhere running with the install script.
> Does anyone know where/how we could do it?
>
> The install script should do most of the job, the main thing to do is to get the dependencies (which have now been
> reduced to a few) from somewhere and adjust the script to copy and install them.
> ========================

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
It produces a barebones package on my own Azure account. I think Steven might have set up an Azure account for the Csound project?

On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 11:02, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Thanks. Is this script currently producing an installer package? Can we try deploying it from Azure as we do with Appveyor?
I don’t mind for the moment using different CI providers, we can try to consolidate later.

> On 14 Jul 2021, at 10:54, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/develop/installer/macosx/release-build-azure.sh
>
> This is the script I was using to automate builds on my Azure account. But I think it might be time to consolidate all builds into one system. I use Azure to produce beta Cabbage builds for Mac, Windows and Linux. I think Github actions also allows cross platform builds. Github is now owned by MS right? I wonder what the main differences are. I have some experience with Azure DevOps. I think if I can automate a Windows build there we might be able to move from AppVeyor. I'm happy to give it some time. But I think we need to decide if Azure DevOps is an appropriate platform.
>
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 10:42, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> it would be useful if we could set up a CI for MacOS deployment as we do with Windows. At the moment we have it building
> on Travis just to catch build issues, but it would be good to have it somewhere running with the install script.
> Does anyone know where/how we could do it?
>
> The install script should do most of the job, the main thing to do is to get the dependencies (which have now been
> reduced to a few) from somewhere and adjust the script to copy and install them.
> ========================

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
Not sure. Do you know how to link github to azure? We can try setting up an account and doing the same as you're doing.

On Jul 14, 2021, at 12:16 PM, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

It produces a barebones package on my own Azure account. I think Steven might have set up an Azure account for the Csound project?

On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 11:02, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Thanks. Is this script currently producing an installer package? Can we try deploying it from Azure as we do with Appveyor?
I don’t mind for the moment using different CI providers, we can try to consolidate later.

> On 14 Jul 2021, at 10:54, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/develop/installer/macosx/release-build-azure.sh
>
> This is the script I was using to automate builds on my Azure account. But I think it might be time to consolidate all builds into one system. I use Azure to produce beta Cabbage builds for Mac, Windows and Linux. I think Github actions also allows cross platform builds. Github is now owned by MS right? I wonder what the main differences are. I have some experience with Azure DevOps. I think if I can automate a Windows build there we might be able to move from AppVeyor. I'm happy to give it some time. But I think we need to decide if Azure DevOps is an appropriate platform.
>
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 10:42, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> it would be useful if we could set up a CI for MacOS deployment as we do with Windows. At the moment we have it building
> on Travis just to catch build issues, but it would be good to have it somewhere running with the install script.
> Does anyone know where/how we could do it?
>
> The install script should do most of the job, the main thing to do is to get the dependencies (which have now been
> reduced to a few) from somewhere and adjust the script to copy and install them.
> ========================

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
It's simple to link to a repo when building with Azure. If I was to create an automated build for Mac on Azure users would just have to visit the Azure project page to download the installer as they currently do with the AppVeyor builds. This would be fine I guess.

On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 13:23, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Not sure. Do you know how to link github to azure? We can try setting up an account and doing the same as you're doing.

On Jul 14, 2021, at 12:16 PM, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

It produces a barebones package on my own Azure account. I think Steven might have set up an Azure account for the Csound project?

On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 11:02, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Thanks. Is this script currently producing an installer package? Can we try deploying it from Azure as we do with Appveyor?
I don’t mind for the moment using different CI providers, we can try to consolidate later.

> On 14 Jul 2021, at 10:54, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/develop/installer/macosx/release-build-azure.sh
>
> This is the script I was using to automate builds on my Azure account. But I think it might be time to consolidate all builds into one system. I use Azure to produce beta Cabbage builds for Mac, Windows and Linux. I think Github actions also allows cross platform builds. Github is now owned by MS right? I wonder what the main differences are. I have some experience with Azure DevOps. I think if I can automate a Windows build there we might be able to move from AppVeyor. I'm happy to give it some time. But I think we need to decide if Azure DevOps is an appropriate platform.
>
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 10:42, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> it would be useful if we could set up a CI for MacOS deployment as we do with Windows. At the moment we have it building
> on Travis just to catch build issues, but it would be good to have it somewhere running with the install script.
> Does anyone know where/how we could do it?
>
> The install script should do most of the job, the main thing to do is to get the dependencies (which have now been
> reduced to a few) from somewhere and adjust the script to copy and install them.
> ========================

FromEduardo Moguillansky
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment

With github actions it is possible to post the artifacts as a pre-release in github directly. Then doing a release only needs to rename the release in github. Here is an example: https://github.com/csound-plugins/csound-plugins/blob/master/.github/workflows/build.yml

The downside of github actions is their windows support!. In azure vcpkg  works quite good, in github actions it is a nightmare to set it right (with caching in order to avoid incredibly long build times / timeouts).

On 14.07.21 15:43, Rory Walsh wrote:
It's simple to link to a repo when building with Azure. If I was to create an automated build for Mac on Azure users would just have to visit the Azure project page to download the installer as they currently do with the AppVeyor builds. This would be fine I guess.

On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 13:23, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Not sure. Do you know how to link github to azure? We can try setting up an account and doing the same as you're doing.

On Jul 14, 2021, at 12:16 PM, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:

It produces a barebones package on my own Azure account. I think Steven might have set up an Azure account for the Csound project?

On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 11:02, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
Thanks. Is this script currently producing an installer package? Can we try deploying it from Azure as we do with Appveyor?
I don’t mind for the moment using different CI providers, we can try to consolidate later.

> On 14 Jul 2021, at 10:54, Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> https://github.com/csound/csound/blob/develop/installer/macosx/release-build-azure.sh
>
> This is the script I was using to automate builds on my Azure account. But I think it might be time to consolidate all builds into one system. I use Azure to produce beta Cabbage builds for Mac, Windows and Linux. I think Github actions also allows cross platform builds. Github is now owned by MS right? I wonder what the main differences are. I have some experience with Azure DevOps. I think if I can automate a Windows build there we might be able to move from AppVeyor. I'm happy to give it some time. But I think we need to decide if Azure DevOps is an appropriate platform.
>
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 10:42, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> it would be useful if we could set up a CI for MacOS deployment as we do with Windows. At the moment we have it building
> on Travis just to catch build issues, but it would be good to have it somewhere running with the install script.
> Does anyone know where/how we could do it?
>
> The install script should do most of the job, the main thing to do is to get the dependencies (which have now been
> reduced to a few) from somewhere and adjust the script to copy and install them.
> ========================

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
Thanks for this example Eduardo. I look at using github actions myself in the future. But it's hard to change from one build system when it's working so well. I guess for now I can just look at setting up a MacOS build on Azure. It's really only for testing purposes I guess.

On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 15:13, Eduardo Moguillansky <eduardo.moguillansky@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 10:42, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> it would be useful if we could set up a CI for MacOS deployment as we do with Windows. At the moment we have it building
> on Travis just to catch build issues, but it would be good to have it somewhere running with the install script.
> Does anyone know where/how we could do it?
>
> The install script should do most of the job, the main thing to do is to get the dependencies (which have now been
> reduced to a few) from somewhere and adjust the script to copy and install them.
> ========================

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
We can do that as a second step. First get CI artefacts for MacOS in azure, then see about github actions.

On Jul 14, 2021, at 3:13 PM, Eduardo Moguillansky <eduardo.moguillansky@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 10:42, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> it would be useful if we could set up a CI for MacOS deployment as we do with Windows. At the moment we have it building
> on Travis just to catch build issues, but it would be good to have it somewhere running with the install script.
> Does anyone know where/how we could do it?
>
> The install script should do most of the job, the main thing to do is to get the dependencies (which have now been
> reduced to a few) from somewhere and adjust the script to copy and install them.
> ========================

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
I'm a fan of github actions in general and use it with Blue, but the build is pretty straightforward for that vs. Csound.  I did create an Azure project for Csound and can give access to that or transfer it to Rory or anyone else.  The one thing that might be a concern is whether Azure Devops will be usable long-term (is it being retired for Github/Github Actions?)

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 10:13 AM Eduardo Moguillansky <eduardo.moguillansky@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 10:42, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> it would be useful if we could set up a CI for MacOS deployment as we do with Windows. At the moment we have it building
> on Travis just to catch build issues, but it would be good to have it somewhere running with the install script.
> Does anyone know where/how we could do it?
>
> The install script should do most of the job, the main thing to do is to get the dependencies (which have now been
> reduced to a few) from somewhere and adjust the script to copy and install them.

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
It seems that the drawback of using github actions is vcpkg support, but I guess for now we have the appveyor build for Windows. Steven, are you actually using the Azure build stuff yourself. If so, then I guess we can continue to use that, if not, maybe we should just use github actions for the Mac build? I have never used GH actions, but I don't mind taking a look.

On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 22:11, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 10:42, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> it would be useful if we could set up a CI for MacOS deployment as we do with Windows. At the moment we have it building
> on Travis just to catch build issues, but it would be good to have it somewhere running with the install script.
> Does anyone know where/how we could do it?
>
> The install script should do most of the job, the main thing to do is to get the dependencies (which have now been
> reduced to a few) from somewhere and adjust the script to copy and install them.
> ========================

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
Hi Rory,

I'm not using Azure build currently. I setup a github action build for Mac just now and it seems to build/run/test.  It's using homebrew installed dependencies however which is good for testing but not good for automating an installer builder.  I'll have to leave it here for now but if someone can look at redoing the lib building to use static lib compilation (either using our dependency scripts or using vcpkg) that'd be great. The trick is that we should probably be doing universal builds now.

Thanks!
Steven

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 6:56 AM Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
> [...]

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 10:42, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> it would be useful if we could set up a CI for MacOS deployment as we do with Windows. At the moment we have it building
> on Travis just to catch build issues, but it would be good to have it somewhere running with the install script.
> Does anyone know where/how we could do it?
>
> The install script should do most of the job, the main thing to do is to get the dependencies (which have now been
> reduced to a few) from somewhere and adjust the script to copy and install them.

FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
That's great Steven. I was having issues getting it set up, so you saved me some pain!

On Sat 17 Jul 2021, 5:51 p.m. Steven Yi, <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 10:42, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> it would be useful if we could set up a CI for MacOS deployment as we do with Windows. At the moment we have it building
> on Travis just to catch build issues, but it would be good to have it somewhere running with the install script.
> Does anyone know where/how we could do it?
>
> The install script should do most of the job, the main thing to do is to get the dependencies (which have now been
> reduced to a few) from somewhere and adjust the script to copy and install them.
> ========================

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
The installer script copies and adjusts all dependencies. Would that not work with homebrew built libs?

On Jul 17, 2021, at 5:51 PM, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 10:42, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> it would be useful if we could set up a CI for MacOS deployment as we do with Windows. At the moment we have it building
> on Travis just to catch build issues, but it would be good to have it somewhere running with the install script.
> Does anyone know where/how we could do it?
>
> The install script should do most of the job, the main thing to do is to get the dependencies (which have now been
> reduced to a few) from somewhere and adjust the script to copy and install them.
> ========================

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
I haven't looked at the installer/macos/release-build.sh script in ages but just looked; I imagine we could do something like this for homebrew libs, it'd just be a little bit of a pain to go through and get that done for dependencies, but it'd be a big win if it worked as homebrew is just a lot easier to depend upon than custom compiled libs.

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 1:19 PM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> [...]

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 10:42, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> it would be useful if we could set up a CI for MacOS deployment as we do with Windows. At the moment we have it building
> on Travis just to catch build issues, but it would be good to have it somewhere running with the install script.
> Does anyone know where/how we could do it?
>
> The install script should do most of the job, the main thing to do is to get the dependencies (which have now been
> reduced to a few) from somewhere and adjust the script to copy and install them.

From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
My 2c - HomeBrew has been a dream come true for me (and my students).  It has allowed me to collaborate with John ffitch on a weekly basis in a way and at a level that I have not been able to for the past 30+ years.  Thanks to Steven and others for making HomeBrew for the Mac possible.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music

On Jul 17, 2021, at 1:31 PM, Steven Yi <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 10:42, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> it would be useful if we could set up a CI for MacOS deployment as we do with Windows. At the moment we have it building
> on Travis just to catch build issues, but it would be good to have it somewhere running with the install script.
> Does anyone know where/how we could do it?
>
> The install script should do most of the job, the main thing to do is to get the dependencies (which have now been
> reduced to a few) from somewhere and adjust the script to copy and install them.
> ========================

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
Where do the dylibs from homebrew end up installed? I would think it should be as simple as editing the locations in the script,
editing the manual copy (wget perhaps?).

Incidentally in your brew list I saw this

brew install cmake swig eigen asio ...

asio? I've never seen that on a mac. I thought it was a windows thing.

> [...]
>>
>> The downside of github actions is their windows support!. In azure vcpkg  works quite good, in github actions it is a nightmare to set it right (with caching in order to avoid incredibly long build times / timeouts).
>>
>> On 14.07.21 15:43, Rory Walsh wrote:
>>> It's simple to link to a repo when building with Azure. If I was to create an automated build for Mac on Azure users would just have to visit the Azure project page to download the installer as they currently do with the AppVeyor builds. This would be fine I guess.
>>>
>>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 13:23, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>>> Not sure. Do you know how to link github to azure? We can try setting up an account and doing the same as you're doing.

Date2021-07-17 21:34
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
Don't know if this is helpful but:

Csound: Homebrew - Brewed Csound on my M1 MacBook

/opt/homebrew/Cellar/csound/HEAD*/bin/csound

Csound: Homebrew - Brewed Csound on my Intel Catalina MacBook Pro?

/usr/local/Cellar/csound/HEAD*/bin/csound

- dB

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing & Technology Division

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 3:39 PM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> [...]

> >> On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 10:13 AM Eduardo Moguillansky  wrote:
> >> With github actions it is possible to post the artifacts as a pre-release in github directly. Then doing a release only needs to rename the release in github. Here is an example: https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC1wbHVnaW5zL2Nzb3VuZC1wbHVnaW5zL2Jsb2IvbWFzdGVyLy5naXRodWIvd29ya2Zsb3dzL2J1aWxkLnltbA==&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=b3NVU296SHRCZFB3TE5ZMlRVYUszWnRKbnNWd0FsWHMxb1l3cDZjTzVvWT0=&h=f9223132af6d452a8992f49a36e32d06
> >>
> >> The downside of github actions is their windows support!. In azure vcpkg  works quite good, in github actions it is a nightmare to set it right (with caching in order to avoid incredibly long build times / timeouts).

Date2021-07-17 21:47
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
on Intel - Catalina MacOS 10.15.7

/usr/local/Cellar/csound/HEAD-3ef346a/lib

is were one finds the brewed libcsnd6.dylib and libcsnd6.6.0.dylib

and

/usr/local/Cellar/csound/HEAD-3ef346a/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Resources/Opcodes64

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 4:34 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
> [...]

>> On 14.07.21 15:43, Rory Walsh wrote:
>>> It's simple to link to a repo when building with Azure. If I was to create an automated build for Mac on Azure users would just have to visit the Azure project page to download the installer as they currently do with the AppVeyor builds. This would be fine I guess.
>>>
>>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 13:23, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
>>> Not sure. Do you know how to link github to azure? We can try setting up an account and doing the same as you're doing.
>>>
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
what about libsndfile? Is that in /usr/local/lib ?

> [...]
> >>
> >> On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 10:13 AM Eduardo Moguillansky  wrote:
> >> With github actions it is possible to post the artifacts as a pre-release in github directly. Then doing a release only needs to rename the release in github. Here is an example: https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC1wbHVnaW5zL2Nzb3VuZC1wbHVnaW5zL2Jsb2IvbWFzdGVyLy5naXRodWIvd29ya2Zsb3dzL2J1aWxkLnltbA==&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=b3NVU296SHRCZFB3TE5ZMlRVYUszWnRKbnNWd0FsWHMxb1l3cDZjTzVvWT0=&h=f9223132af6d452a8992f49a36e32d06
> >>
> >> The downside of github actions is their windows support!. In azure vcpkg  works quite good, in github actions it is a nightmare to set it right (with caching in order to avoid incredibly long build times / timeouts).

Date2021-07-17 21:49
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
or here - not sure which it actually uses - perhaps this one

/usr/local/Cellar/csound/HEAD-3ef346a/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/Opcodes64

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 4:47 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
> [...]

>> The downside of github actions is their windows support!. In azure vcpkg  works quite good, in github actions it is a nightmare to set it right (with caching in order to avoid incredibly long build times / timeouts).
>>
>> On 14.07.21 15:43, Rory Walsh wrote:
>>> It's simple to link to a repo when building with Azure. If I was to create an automated build for Mac on Azure users would just have to visit the Azure project page to download the installer as they currently do with the AppVeyor builds. This would be fine I guess.
>>>
>>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 13:23, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
>>> Not sure. Do you know how to link github to azure? We can try setting up an account and doing the same as you're doing.

Date2021-07-17 21:53
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
when Is -al in /usr/local/lib I see the following (I think that these a symlinks to the Cellar)

lrwxr-xr-x    1 rboulanger  admin       50 Jan 25 14:52 libsndfile.1.dylib -> ../Cellar/libsndfile/1.0.31/lib/libsndfile.1.dylib

lrwxr-xr-x    1 rboulanger  admin       44 Jan 25 14:52 libsndfile.a -> ../Cellar/libsndfile/1.0.31/lib/libsndfile.a

lrwxr-xr-x    1 rboulanger  admin       48 Jan 25 14:52 libsndfile.dylib -> ../Cellar/libsndfile/1.0.31/lib/libsndfile.dylib

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 4:49 PM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> [...]

> >> On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 10:13 AM Eduardo Moguillansky <eduardo.moguillansky@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> With github actions it is possible to post the artifacts as a pre-release in github directly. Then doing a release only needs to rename the release in github. Here is an example: https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC1wbHVnaW5zL2Nzb3VuZC1wbHVnaW5zL2Jsb2IvbWFzdGVyLy5naXRodWIvd29ya2Zsb3dzL2J1aWxkLnltbA==&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=b3NVU296SHRCZFB3TE5ZMlRVYUszWnRKbnNWd0FsWHMxb1l3cDZjTzVvWT0=&h=f9223132af6d452a8992f49a36e32d06
> >>
> >> The downside of github actions is their windows support!. In azure vcpkg  works quite good, in github actions it is a nightmare to set it right (with caching in order to avoid incredibly long build times / timeouts).

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
Ok, that gives me a good idea.

> [...]
> > Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> > Maynooth University
> > Ireland
> >
> > > On 17 Jul 2021, at 18:31, Steven Yi  wrote:
> > >
> > > I haven't looked at the installer/macos/release-build.sh script in ages but just looked; I imagine we could do something like this for homebrew libs, it'd just be a little bit of a pain to go through and get that done for dependencies, but it'd be a big win if it worked as homebrew is just a lot easier to depend upon than custom compiled libs.
> > >
> > > On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 1:19 PM Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
> > > The installer script copies and adjusts all dependencies. Would that not work with homebrew built libs?
> > >
> > > Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> > > Maynooth University
> > > Ireland

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
The dylibs depend on where homebrew is installed (was a different location here on Big Sur than where it was before on earlier macos).  For the brew list I did it quickly based on what was specified for the homebrew version of Csound:

Probably can get rid of asio and other things.

> [...]

>> On 14.07.21 15:43, Rory Walsh wrote:
>>> It's simple to link to a repo when building with Azure. If I was to create an automated build for Mac on Azure users would just have to visit the Azure project page to download the installer as they currently do with the AppVeyor builds. This would be fine I guess.
>>>
>>> On Wed, 14 Jul 2021 at 13:23, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
>>> Not sure. Do you know how to link github to azure? We can try setting up an account and doing the same as you're doing.
>>>
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
For Homebrew I see there are symlinks in /usr/local/lib so these can be used to copy the libraries.

The difficult part is editing the symlinks built into the CsoundLib etc. If these point to /usr/local/lib (the location of the library symlinks), then it should be easy,
but if they point to /usr/local/cellar or whatever variable location, then that’s complicated and probably unworkable because we need to know these in order
to edit them.

> [...]
> >>
> >> On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 10:13 AM Eduardo Moguillansky  wrote:
> >> With github actions it is possible to post the artifacts as a pre-release in github directly. Then doing a release only needs to rename the release in github. Here is an example: https://github.com/csound-plugins/csound-plugins/blob/master/.github/workflows/build.yml
> >>
> >> The downside of github actions is their windows support!. In azure vcpkg  works quite good, in github actions it is a nightmare to set it right (with caching in order to avoid incredibly long build times / timeouts).

Date2021-07-17 22:43
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
They might be there because at one point some time ago, I was asked to brew and install libsndfile.  It might be an older version still lying around?

Brew always tells me when things are not linked and asks if I want to simlink things

I was say yes

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor
Electronic Production and Design
Berklee College of Music

> On Jul 17, 2021, at 5:35 PM, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>
> For Homebrew I see there are symlinks in /usr/local/lib so these can be used to copy the libraries.
>
> The difficult part is editing the symlinks built into the CsoundLib etc. If these point to /usr/local/lib (the location of the library symlinks), then it should be easy,
> but if they point to /usr/local/cellar or whatever variable location, then that’s complicated and probably unworkable because we need to know these in order
> to edit them.
>
> ========================
>
>> On 17 Jul 2021, at 22:16, Steven Yi  wrote:
>>
>> The dylibs depend on where homebrew is installed (was a different location here on Big Sur than where it was before on earlier macos).  For the brew list I did it quickly based on what was specified for the homebrew version of Csound:
>>
>> https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/csound#default
>>
>> Probably can get rid of asio and other things.
>>
>> On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 3:39 PM Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>> Where do the dylibs from homebrew end up installed? I would think it should be as simple as editing the locations in the script,
>> editing the manual copy (wget perhaps?).
>>
>> Incidentally in your brew list I saw this
>>
>> brew install cmake swig eigen asio ...
>>
>> asio? I've never seen that on a mac. I thought it was a windows thing.
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Maynooth University
>> Ireland

>>> I haven't looked at the installer/macos/release-build.sh script in ages but just looked; I imagine we could do something like this for homebrew libs, it'd just be a little bit of a pain to go through and get that done for dependencies, but it'd be a big win if it worked as homebrew is just a lot easier to depend upon than custom compiled libs.

>>> The installer script copies and adjusts all dependencies. Would that not work with homebrew built libs?
>>>
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] CI for MacOS deployment
No, the symlinks are pointing to the homebrew installation. If this was a normal libsndfile installation, they would not be doing that.