[Csnd-dev] plugins repository status

Date2021-08-09 17:32
FromJohn
Subject[Csnd-dev] plugins repository status
I have been investigating the opcodes that have been moved from
csound/csound to csound/plugins and have hit a number of problems.

1: make install on the MAC was total rubbish.  I have made some
adjustments but cannot verify the fixes.

2; The python opcodes fail totally in response to a make.  It does
nothing and the README.md file offers no clue.  Anyone who understands
the python subsystem and has got some time care to fix?

3: I cannot check the Ableton link opcodes nor the faust ones.  So far
I have not managed to install the dependencies.  As in 2 anyone know how
to fix?

4: image opcodes build OK on Linux and run, but seem to be broken on
MacOS.  Help most welcome.

5: chua build ad ran on Linux

6: widgets in FLTK seem OK on Linux but remain problematic in MacOS

7: No idea what happens with windows.

No doubt there are other issues.

==John ffitch

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] plugins repository status
Back home now. Let’s see, I’ve pulled the latest code and I can do

$ mkdir debug
$ cd debug
$ cmake .. && make

and build all targets for which I have dependencies installed and enabled:

-- BUILD_CHUA_OPCODES is enabled.
-- Found FAUST: /usr/local/lib/libfaust.a
-- Found OpenSSL: /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.a (found version "1.1.0e")
-- BUILD_FAUST_OPCODES is enabled.
-- Found ZLIB: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX11.3.sdk/usr/lib/libz.tbd (found version "1.2.11")
-- Found PNG: /usr/local/lib/libpng.dylib (found version "1.6.6")
-- BUILD_IMAGE_OPCODES is enabled.
-- Found PythonLibs: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/libpython3.9.dylib (found suitable version "3.9.6", minimum required is "3")
-- BUILD_PYTHON_OPCODES is enabled.

…

[100%] Built target py
/Applications/CMake.app/Contents/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_start /Users/victor/src/csound/plugins/debug/CMakeFiles 0

> 1: make install on the MAC was total rubbish.  I have made some
> adjustments but cannot verify the fixes.

I’m actually not very well versed on CMake install targets, so I can’t offer much help right now.

> 2; The python opcodes fail totally in response to a make.  It does
> nothing and the README.md file offers no clue.  Anyone who understands
> the python subsystem and has got some time care to fix?

This is building correctly from the toplevel cmake .. && make. You need to have Python 3 development libs
installed. On a Mac, it suffices to install Python 3.x from python.org

> 3: I cannot check the Ableton link opcodes

Never built these, so I can’t help there. They have never been distributed on the Mac installers

> the faust ones.  So far
> I have not managed to install the dependencies.  As in 2 anyone know how
> to fix?

Faust can be installed from sources (or from binaries) https://faust.grame.fr/downloads/

This one is an easy one to provide a release, it uses a static faust lib which I have here
and so the the dylib on its own is all it’s needed. I can build it here as I demonstrated above.

> 4: image opcodes build OK on Linux and run, but seem to be broken on
> MacOS.  Help most welcome.

Again, builds here. I suspect this has to do with dependencies. I don’t know off the top of my
head what they are, but it should say in CMakeLists.txt

> 5: chua build ad ran on Linux

Builds and runs here.

> 6: widgets in FLTK seem OK on Linux but remain problematic in MacOS

These will never work on MacOS because of threading issues. We cannot use them on that system
and there is no solution for it.

> 7: No idea what happens with windows.

CMake should work on Windows as well.

> No doubt there are other issues

Agreed. It wasn’t for nothing that we put these libraries out of the main Csound repo. They are a never ending source
of problems because of dependencies and code that is not maintained by its original developers. I can build
all of the libs for which I have dependencies but I can’t easily produce an installer because of having to
provide the dependencies for these in the appropriate location, and with all the link names correctly set.

> ==John ffitch

Date2021-08-09 20:10
FromFrancois PINOT
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] plugins repository status
Here on linux ubuntu 20.04, everything is built correctly except for the Ableton opcodes which I don't use:

-- Installing: /usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0/libchua.so
-- Installing: /usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0/libfaustcsound.so
-- Installing: /usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0/libimage.so
-- Installing: /usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0/libpy.so
-- Installing: /usr/local/lib/csound/plugins64-6.0/libwidgets.so

The python opcodes work fine with python 3. Victor is right, you need to have the python 3 dev headers and libs installed for cmake to build them. For these opcodes to be built on Mac OS or on Windows, one needs to have the dependencies installed on these systems as well. So providing a binary of the dylib or dll isn't enough. The dependencies are absolutely needed for these plugin libraries to work...

François

Le lun. 9 août 2021 à 19:11, Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> a écrit :
Back home now. Let’s see, I’ve pulled the latest code and I can do

$ mkdir debug
$ cd debug
$ cmake .. && make

and build all targets for which I have dependencies installed and enabled:

-- BUILD_CHUA_OPCODES is enabled.
-- Found FAUST: /usr/local/lib/libfaust.a
-- Found OpenSSL: /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.a (found version "1.1.0e")
-- BUILD_FAUST_OPCODES is enabled.
-- Found ZLIB: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX11.3.sdk/usr/lib/libz.tbd (found version "1.2.11")
-- Found PNG: /usr/local/lib/libpng.dylib (found version "1.6.6")
-- BUILD_IMAGE_OPCODES is enabled.
-- Found PythonLibs: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.9/lib/libpython3.9.dylib (found suitable version "3.9.6", minimum required is "3")
-- BUILD_PYTHON_OPCODES is enabled.

[100%] Built target py
/Applications/CMake.app/Contents/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_start /Users/victor/src/csound/plugins/debug/CMakeFiles 0

> 1: make install on the MAC was total rubbish.  I have made some
> adjustments but cannot verify the fixes.

I’m actually not very well versed on CMake install targets, so I can’t offer much help right now.

> 2; The python opcodes fail totally in response to a make.  It does
> nothing and the README.md file offers no clue.  Anyone who understands
> the python subsystem and has got some time care to fix?

This is building correctly from the toplevel cmake .. && make. You need to have Python 3 development libs
installed. On a Mac, it suffices to install Python 3.x from python.org

> 3: I cannot check the Ableton link opcodes

Never built these, so I can’t help there. They have never been distributed on the Mac installers

> the faust ones.  So far
> I have not managed to install the dependencies.  As in 2 anyone know how
> to fix?

Faust can be installed from sources (or from binaries) https://faust.grame.fr/downloads/

This one is an easy one to provide a release, it uses a static faust lib which I have here
and so the the dylib on its own is all it’s needed. I can build it here as I demonstrated above.

> 4: image opcodes build OK on Linux and run, but seem to be broken on
> MacOS.  Help most welcome.

Again, builds here. I suspect this has to do with dependencies. I don’t know off the top of my
head what they are, but it should say in CMakeLists.txt

> 5: chua build ad ran on Linux

Builds and runs here.

> 6: widgets in FLTK seem OK on Linux but remain problematic in MacOS

These will never work on MacOS because of threading issues. We cannot use them on that system
and there is no solution for it.

> 7: No idea what happens with windows.

CMake should work on Windows as well.

> No doubt there are other issues

Agreed. It wasn’t for nothing that we put these libraries out of the main Csound repo. They are a never ending source
of problems because of dependencies and code that is not maintained by its original developers. I can build
all of the libs for which I have dependencies but I can’t easily produce an installer because of having to
provide the dependencies for these in the appropriate location, and with all the link names correctly set.

> ==John ffitch

Date2021-08-10 16:51
Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] plugins repository status
I stll cannot build the pyton plugin.

I have the python3-devel packae installed and then running make doe
nothing
xenakis:~/csound6/plugins> cd py
xenakis:~/csound6/plugins/py> make
cd /home/jpff/csound6/plugins && /usr/bin/cmake
-S/home/jpff/csound6/plugins -B/home/jpff/csound6/plugins
--check-build-system CMakeFiles/Makefile.cmake 0
cd /home/jpff/csound6/plugins && /usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_start
/home/jpff/csound6/plugins/CMakeFiles
/home/jpff/csound6/plugins/py/CMakeFiles/progress.marks
cd /home/jpff/csound6/plugins && make -f CMakeFiles/Makefile2 py/all
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/csound6/plugins'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'py/all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/csound6/plugins'
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_start
/home/jpff/csound6/plugins/CMakeFiles 0
xenakis:~/csound6/plugins/py> ls -l
total 24
drwxr-xr-x 2 jpff users   67 Aug  8 22:07 CMakeFiles/
-rw-r--r-- 1 jpff users 1119 Apr 18 16:44 cmake_install.cmake
-rw-r--r-- 1 jpff users  622 Apr 18 16:43 CMakeLists.txt
drwxr-xr-x 3 jpff users 4096 Apr 18 16:43 examples/
-rw-r--r-- 1 jpff users 6175 Apr 18 16:44 Makefile
-rw-r--r-- 1 jpff users  573 Apr 18 16:43 README.md
drwxr-xr-x 2 jpff users  208 Apr 18 16:43 src/
xenakis:~/csound6/plugins/py> ls CMakeFiles/
CMakeDirectoryInformation.cmake  progress.marks

Nothing built

Startin again

CMake Warning (dev) at
/usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:272
(message):
   The package name passed to `find_package_handle_standard_args` (CSOUND)
   does not match the name of the calling package (Csound).  This can lead
   problems in calling code that expects `find_package` result variables
   (e.g., `_FOUND`) to follow a certain pattern.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
   cmake/Modules/FindCsound.cmake:24 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
   CMakeLists.txt:114 (find_package)
This warning is for project developers.  Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

-- LIBRARY INSTALL DIR: lib
-- Building with 64-bit floats
-- Building on Linux.
--   ADDING LIBRT LIBRARY: /usr/lib64/librt.so.
-- BUILD_CHUA_OPCODES is enabled.
-- FAUST_INCLUDE_DIR (missing: FAUST_LIBRARY)
-- FAUST_FOUND="FALSE", so disabling BUILD_FAUST_OPCODES
-- BUILD_FAUST_OPCODES is disabled.
-- BUILD_IMAGE_OPCODES is enabled.
-- Found PythonLibs: /usr/lib64/libpython3.6m.so (found suitable version
"3.6.12", minimum required is "3")
-- BUILD_PYTHON_OPCODES is enabled.
CMake Warning (dev) at
/usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:272
(message):
   The package name passed to `find_package_handle_standard_args` (X11)
does
   not match the name of the calling package (FLTK).  This can lead to
   problems in calling code that expects `find_package` result variables
   (e.g., `_FOUND`) to follow a certain pattern.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
   /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindX11.cmake:366
(find_package_handle_standard_args)
   /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindFLTK.cmake:98 (include)
   widgets/CMakeLists.txt:3 (find_package)
This warning is for project developers.  Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

-- USE_FLTK is enabled.
-- ABLETON_LINK_HOME="", so disabling BUILD_ABLETON_LINK_OPCODES
-- BUILD_ABLETON_LINK_OPCODES is disabled.
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/jpff/csound6/plugins
xenakis:~/csound6/plugins> cmake .
[...]

Scanning dependencies of target py
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/csound6/plugins'
make -f py/CMakeFiles/py.dir/build.make py/CMakeFiles/py.dir/build
make[2]: Entering directory '/home/jpff/csound6/plugins'
[ 50%] Building C object py/CMakeFiles/py.dir/src/pythonopcodes.c.o
cd /home/jpff/csound6/plugins/py && /usr/bin/cc -DHAVE_SOCKETS -DLINUX
-DNO_FLTK_THREADS -DPIPES -D_GNU_SOURCE -Dpy_EXPORTS
-I/usr/local/include/csound -I/usr/include/python3.6  -ffast-math
-mfpmath=sse -msse2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fvisibility=hidden
-std=gnu99 -DHAVE_PTHREAD -fPIC   -o
CMakeFiles/py.dir/src/pythonopcodes.c.o   -c
/home/jpff/csound6/plugins/py/src/pythonopcodes.c
/home/jpff/csound6/plugins/py/src/pythonopcodes.c:33:12: fatal error:
Python.h:
No such file or directory
  #  include
             ^~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [py/CMakeFiles/py.dir/build.make:83:
py/CMakeFiles/py.dir/src/pythonopcodes.c.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/csound6/plugins'
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:273: py/CMakeFiles/py.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jpff/csound6/plugins'
make: *** [Makefile:150: all] Error 2

Clearly the docmentation needs to say smething about the dependancies.
But still not building

FLTK
  On Mon, 9 Aug 2021, Francois PINOT wrote:

> [...]
>       MacOS
>
>       These will never work on MacOS because of threading issues. We
>       cannot use them on that system
>       and there is no solution for it.
>
>       > 7: No idea what happens with windows.
>
>       CMake should work on Windows as well.
>
>       >
>       > No doubt there are other issues
>
>       Agreed. It wasn’t for nothing that we put these libraries out of
>       the main Csound repo. They are a never ending source
>       of problems because of dependencies and code that is not
>       maintained by its original developers. I can build
>       all of the libs for which I have dependencies but I can’t easily
>       produce an installer because of having to
>       provide the dependencies for these in the appropriate location,
>       and with all the link names correctly set.
>

>       > ==John ffitch

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] plugins repository status
possibly your cmake cache is all messed up. Try this, from the top level plugins repo

mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make