Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

[Csnd-dev] Better support for monophonic instruments.

Date2021-08-16 03:38
FromJack Britton
Subject[Csnd-dev] Better support for monophonic instruments.
Hey folks, I am following up on https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/1463. I think this is the right place to post.

To summarize what's in the ticket: I'd like to add better support for monophonic instruments in Csound. The example I provide in the above link works, but isn't very ergonomic.

Ian McCurdy's approach (courtesy of Rory) is a bit nicer, but isn't properly monophonic (try running it with a long release envelope), and also doesn't allow for legato.

Ideally, this new feature would let you define a monophonic synth as a single instr, without use of any global variables. It would support legato, and also use of existing envelope generator opcodes (possibly with some filtering to avoid clicking).

If the idea looks good, I can take the next steps to design the feature and give examples of what it will look like. If *that* looks good, I can move to implementation. Let me know what you think. Thank you :)

Date2021-08-18 11:20
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Better support for monophonic instruments.
It would be nice to offer an optional mono parameter to massign. I'm not sure how much work would be involved in implementing it, but I think from a user perspective it would be very user friendly. And it means one could quickly change from mono to polyphonic.  

On Mon, 16 Aug 2021 at 03:48, Jack Britton <jackxbritton@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey folks, I am following up on https://github.com/csound/csound/issues/1463. I think this is the right place to post.

To summarize what's in the ticket: I'd like to add better support for monophonic instruments in Csound. The example I provide in the above link works, but isn't very ergonomic.

Ian McCurdy's approach (courtesy of Rory) is a bit nicer, but isn't properly monophonic (try running it with a long release envelope), and also doesn't allow for legato.

Ideally, this new feature would let you define a monophonic synth as a single instr, without use of any global variables. It would support legato, and also use of existing envelope generator opcodes (possibly with some filtering to avoid clicking).

If the idea looks good, I can take the next steps to design the feature and give examples of what it will look like. If *that* looks good, I can move to implementation. Let me know what you think. Thank you :)