[Csnd-dev] Build Csound Manual from Source (on MacOS Catalina or Big Sur)

Date2021-07-12 01:59
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
Subject[Csnd-dev] Build Csound Manual from Source (on MacOS Catalina or Big Sur)
Hello Developers,

Following the instructions on Github, has anyone been able to build the Csound Manual (HTML) from the latest sources on the Mac?

John ffitch and I spent an hour on it the other day and kept getting stuck with Pygments or the wrong version of Python or.

Are the current step-by-step instructions correct?

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

- dB

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing & Technology Division

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Build Csound Manual from Source (on MacOS Catalina or Big Sur)
If you don’t know how to install the dependencies and Python packages, the best thing is to use the version built remotely.
You only need three commands

% git clone https://github.com/csound/manual manual-html
% cd manual-html
% git checkout gh-pages

and you have the most recent compiled manual (html)

% open index.html

best regards

> On 12 Jul 2021, at 01:59, Dr. Richard Boulanger  wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Hello Developers,
>
> Following the instructions on Github, has anyone been able to build the Csound Manual (HTML) from the latest sources on the Mac?
>
> John ffitch and I spent an hour on it the other day and kept getting stuck with Pygments or the wrong version of Python or.
>
> Are the current step-by-step instructions correct?
>
> Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> - dB
>
> Dr. Richard Boulanger
> Professor
> Electronic Production and Design
> Berklee College of Music
> Professional Writing & Technology Division

Date2021-07-12 18:58
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Build Csound Manual from Source (on MacOS Catalina or Big Sur)
Thanks Victor,

On my M1 Mac running Big Sur OSX 11.4 when I type the git clone command I get
- the URL is correct as I can click and open that page on the web.  I will go to the studio now and try on the Intel MacBook running Catalina

zsh: parse error near `&'

% git clone https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9tYW51YWw=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=TFJYUzdpb1pYdnFXVVRjOEV3Ym9LaXpFaUpUbm92a09tUS94VWMrdktLMD0=&h=4641fa3784d2497c807367bea26f7579 manual-html
% cd manual-html
% git checkout gh-pages

and you have the most recent compiled manual (html)

% open index.html

best regards

> On 12 Jul 2021, at 01:59, Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Hello Developers,
>
> Following the instructions on Github, has anyone been able to build the Csound Manual (HTML) from the latest sources on the Mac?
>
> John ffitch and I spent an hour on it the other day and kept getting stuck with Pygments or the wrong version of Python or.
>
> Are the current step-by-step instructions correct?
>
> Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> - dB
>
> Dr. Richard Boulanger
> Professor
> Electronic Production and Design
> Berklee College of Music
> Professional Writing & Technology Division

Date2021-07-12 19:19
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Build Csound Manual from Source (on MacOS Catalina or Big Sur)
On Catalina, when I type the git clone command, this happens

db->  git clone https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9tYW51YWw=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=TFJYUzdpb1pYdnFXVVRjOEV3Ym9LaXpFaUpUbm92a09tUS94VWMrdktLMD0=&h=4641fa3784d2497c807367bea26f7579 manual-html

[4] 1325

[5] 1326

[6] 1327

[7] 1328

-bash: manual-html: command not found

[5]   Done                    u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9tYW51YWw=

[6]   Done                    i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm

[7]   Done                    t=TFJYUzdpb1pYdnFXVVRjOEV3Ym9LaXpFaUpUbm92a09tUS94VWMrdktLMD0=

db->  Cloning into 'us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com'...

Username for 'https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com':

and then I wonder - what is my 'Username for 'https:....'

I will try to just clone it here manually and then try some of your next suggested steps.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 1:58 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
Thanks Victor,

On my M1 Mac running Big Sur OSX 11.4 when I type the git clone command I get
- the URL is correct as I can click and open that page on the web.  I will go to the studio now and try on the Intel MacBook running Catalina

zsh: parse error near `&'

- dB

Dr. Richard Boulanger

Professor

Electronic Production and Design

Berklee College of Music

Professional Writing & Technology Division

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 12:55 PM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
If you don’t know how to install the dependencies and Python packages, the best thing is to use the version built remotely.
You only need three commands

% git clone https://us-west-2.protection.sophos.com?d=github.com&u=aHR0cHM6Ly9naXRodWIuY29tL2Nzb3VuZC9tYW51YWw=&i=NWYxNzBkMDNiNTVmZGEwZmIyNjczYmRm&t=TFJYUzdpb1pYdnFXVVRjOEV3Ym9LaXpFaUpUbm92a09tUS94VWMrdktLMD0=&h=4641fa3784d2497c807367bea26f7579 manual-html
% cd manual-html
% git checkout gh-pages

and you have the most recent compiled manual (html)

% open index.html

best regards

> On 12 Jul 2021, at 01:59, Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
>
> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Hello Developers,
>
> Following the instructions on Github, has anyone been able to build the Csound Manual (HTML) from the latest sources on the Mac?
>
> John ffitch and I spent an hour on it the other day and kept getting stuck with Pygments or the wrong version of Python or.
>
> Are the current step-by-step instructions correct?
>
> Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> - dB
>
> Dr. Richard Boulanger
> Professor
> Electronic Production and Design
> Berklee College of Music
> Professional Writing & Technology Division

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Build Csound Manual from Source (on MacOS Catalina or Big Sur)
That's the wrong URL. You need the https git.com/csound/manual

where did that come from? That's not what I typed. Your email server must be doing something funny with URLs.

On Jul 12, 2021, at 7:19 PM, Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:

> [...]

> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Hello Developers,
>
> Following the instructions on Github, has anyone been able to build the Csound Manual (HTML) from the latest sources on the Mac?
>
> John ffitch and I spent an hour on it the other day and kept getting stuck with Pygments or the wrong version of Python or.
>
> Are the current step-by-step instructions correct?
>
> Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> - dB
>
> Dr. Richard Boulanger
> Professor
> Electronic Production and Design
> Berklee College of Music
> Professional Writing & Technology Division

Date2021-07-12 19:39
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Build Csound Manual from Source (on MacOS Catalina or Big Sur)
hummm... OK, I will try that one now - finger's crossed!

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 2:37 PM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> [...]

> Hello Developers,
>
> Following the instructions on Github, has anyone been able to build the Csound Manual (HTML) from the latest sources on the Mac?
>
> John ffitch and I spent an hour on it the other day and kept getting stuck with Pygments or the wrong version of Python or.
>
> Are the current step-by-step instructions correct?
>
> Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> - dB
>
> Dr. Richard Boulanger
> Professor
> Electronic Production and Design
> Berklee College of Music
> Professional Writing & Technology Division

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Build Csound Manual from Source (on MacOS Catalina or Big Sur)
The URL you need can also be got from the github manual repository page.

On Jul 12, 2021, at 7:39 PM, Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:

> [...]

> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Hello Developers,
>
> Following the instructions on Github, has anyone been able to build the Csound Manual (HTML) from the latest sources on the Mac?
>
> John ffitch and I spent an hour on it the other day and kept getting stuck with Pygments or the wrong version of Python or.
>
> Are the current step-by-step instructions correct?
>
> Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> - dB
>
> Dr. Richard Boulanger
> Professor
> Electronic Production and Design
> Berklee College of Music
> Professional Writing & Technology Division

Date2021-07-12 20:02
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Build Csound Manual from Source (on MacOS Catalina or Big Sur)
AttachmentsScreen Shot 2021-07-12 at 2.55.25 PM.png
YES!
I did find it there and it worked!! (Berklee has some virus protection thing on our laptops and so - sophos....)

Note that you did have a typo in your shorter version - it is found at github.com (your suggestion took me to a real-estate website ;-)

Maybe these steps can be added to the page somewhere - as they are simple and they work!

To summarize: (and with gratitude)
- To build the latest manual and examples (on your Mac or maybe on other systems too?)

Open the Terminal App
% cd ~
% git clone https://github.com/csound/manual manual-html
% cd manual-html
% git checkout gh-pages
% open index.html

To use this 'newly updated' version in your current version of CsoundQt
- open the Configuration/Preferences Tab
- search for the directory on your HD
- and add the path to the Environment

(Note that one can Brew the latest Csound from sources and add this path here as well
- and when you 'run in terminal' from CsoundQt, it runs with the latest developer build!)

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 2.55.25 PM.png

-R

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 2:46 PM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> [...]

> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Hello Developers,
>
> Following the instructions on Github, has anyone been able to build the Csound Manual (HTML) from the latest sources on the Mac?
>
> John ffitch and I spent an hour on it the other day and kept getting stuck with Pygments or the wrong version of Python or.
>
> Are the current step-by-step instructions correct?
>
> Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> - dB
>
> Dr. Richard Boulanger
> Professor
> Electronic Production and Design
> Berklee College of Music
> Professional Writing & Technology Division

Date2021-07-12 20:06
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Build Csound Manual from Source (on MacOS Catalina or Big Sur)
I can successfully

git clone https://github.com/csound/manual.git

and, as you would know, I get all the files, but then I need to 'make' it - and it does not make an html version of the manual

and, as you might suspect or know, there is no 'manual-html' directory into which I could %cd

and so... I can't run the git checkout command that you suggested.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 2:19 PM Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:
> [...]

> Hello Developers,
>
> Following the instructions on Github, has anyone been able to build the Csound Manual (HTML) from the latest sources on the Mac?
>
> John ffitch and I spent an hour on it the other day and kept getting stuck with Pygments or the wrong version of Python or.
>
> Are the current step-by-step instructions correct?
>
> Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> - dB
>
> Dr. Richard Boulanger
> Professor
> Electronic Production and Design
> Berklee College of Music
> Professional Writing & Technology Division

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Build Csound Manual from Source (on MacOS Catalina or Big Sur)
That's because you did not clone into the manual-html directory. You need to follow my instructions exactly.

git clone <url> manual-html

etc

On Jul 12, 2021, at 8:06 PM, Dr. Richard Boulanger <rboulanger@berklee.edu> wrote:

> [...]

> WARNINGThis email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.
> Hello Developers,
>
> Following the instructions on Github, has anyone been able to build the Csound Manual (HTML) from the latest sources on the Mac?
>
> John ffitch and I spent an hour on it the other day and kept getting stuck with Pygments or the wrong version of Python or.
>
> Are the current step-by-step instructions correct?
>
> Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> - dB
>
> Dr. Richard Boulanger
> Professor
> Electronic Production and Design
> Berklee College of Music
> Professional Writing & Technology Division

Date2021-07-12 20:49
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Build Csound Manual from Source (on MacOS Catalina or Big Sur)
Victor,

Actually, I did follow your instructions exactly - as I detailed in my (almost) final post.
- things got out of order because my computer was too smart for me and holding on to drafts.
- or, you could say, I was getting ahead of myself - now and then ;-). Thanks again for the clear and simple instructions.

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 3:11 PM Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@mu.ie> wrote:
> [...]

> Hello Developers,
>
> Following the instructions on Github, has anyone been able to build the Csound Manual (HTML) from the latest sources on the Mac?
>
> John ffitch and I spent an hour on it the other day and kept getting stuck with Pygments or the wrong version of Python or.
>
> Are the current step-by-step instructions correct?
>
> Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> - dB
>
> Dr. Richard Boulanger
> Professor
> Electronic Production and Design
> Berklee College of Music
> Professional Writing & Technology Division

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] [Csnd-dev] Build Csound Manual from Source (on MacOS Catalina or Big Sur)
All good then.