Re: [Csnd-dev] Release notes

Date2016-10-17 17:21
FromNate Whetsell
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Release notes
> How does one read a .md file?

Since .md files are plain text, you can open them in any text editor.

> It is less readable than the text form we used earlier, important things do not stand out.

It’s probably a matter of taste, and Markdown is pretty standard fare these days. The GitHub Markdown Guide I linked to before (https://guides.github.com/features/mastering-markdown/) describes various ways of making things stand out, among them

# Important, top-level headers

## Less important, level-2 headers

_Italics_

**Bold**

```
Text in a fixed-width font
```

```csound
; Some Csound code
```

> I understand that it expects to be converted to HTML, but I cannot find how to do it.

GitHub converts Markdown to HTML – for reading .md files, issue descriptions, code reviews, and other text – automatically. You don’t need to do anything. That said, there are many Markdown parsers available in a variety of languages.

I think this covers all the questions I’ve seen, but if there are

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Release notes
For what it's worth, I've recently changed my changelog practice for a
couple of my projects to the one described here:

http://keepachangelog.com/en/0.3.0/

I find it easy enough as a reader to know what's added, removed,
changed, etc., and easy enough as writer to keep the log.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Nate Whetsell
 wrote:
>> How does one read a .md file?
>
> Since .md files are plain text, you can open them in any text editor.
>
>> It is less readable than the text form we used earlier, important things do not stand out.
>
> It’s probably a matter of taste, and Markdown is pretty standard fare these days. The GitHub Markdown Guide I linked to before (https://guides.github.com/features/mastering-markdown/) describes various ways of making things stand out, among them
>
> # Important, top-level headers
>
> ## Less important, level-2 headers
>
> _Italics_
>
> **Bold**
>
> ```
> Text in a fixed-width font
> ```
>
> ```csound
> ; Some Csound code
> ```
>
>> I understand that it expects to be converted to HTML, but I cannot find how to do it.
>
> GitHub converts Markdown to HTML – for reading .md files, issue descriptions, code reviews, and other text – automatically. You don’t need to do anything. That said, there are many Markdown parsers available in a variety of languages.
>
> I think this covers all the questions I’ve seen, but if there are

Date2016-10-17 17:34
Fromjpff
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Release notes
Thise things not not make them stand out, until rendered

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016, Nate Whetsell wrote:

>> How does one read a .md file?
>
> Since .md files are plain text, you can open them in any text editor.
>
>> It is less readable than the text form we used earlier, important things do not stand out.
>
> It’s probably a matter of taste, and Markdown is pretty standard fare these days. The GitHub Markdown Guide I linked to before (https://guides.github.com/features/mastering-markdown/) describes various ways of making things stand out, among them
>
> # Important, top-level headers
>
> ## Less important, level-2 headers
>
> _Italics_
>
> **Bold**
>
> ```
> Text in a fixed-width font
> ```
>
> ```csound
> ; Some Csound code
> ```
>
>> I understand that it expects to be converted to HTML, but I cannot find how to do it.
>
> GitHub converts Markdown to HTML – for reading .md files, issue descriptions, code reviews, and other text – automatically. You don’t need to do anything. That said, there are many Markdown parsers available in a variety of languages.
>
> I think this covers all the questions I’ve seen, but if there are more, shoot.

Date2016-10-17 17:37
Fromjpff
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Release notes
I think a changelog is much to be preferred to a git log but we abandoned
tat system in 2012

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016, Steven Yi wrote:

> For what it's worth, I've recently changed my changelog practice for a
> couple of my projects to the one described here:
>
> http://keepachangelog.com/en/0.3.0/
>
> I find it easy enough as a reader to know what's added, removed,
> changed, etc., and easy enough as writer to keep the log.

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Release notes
Not sure how this comment pertains to mine, as what I sent as a link
describes a hand-maintained change log and not a git log.