[Csnd-dev] Espeak

Date2017-05-24 17:17
FromAnders Genell
Subject[Csnd-dev] Espeak
Dear devs!

There was a discussion about speech synthesis recently, and I've been meaning to ask: would it be terribly cumbersome to create a plugin for interfacing with espeak (http://espeak.sourceforge.net/) from Csound?
I realize it might not be the most authentic-sounding speech, but on the other hand who wouldn't want Stephen Hawking on vocals for the next piece?

Regards,
Anders

Date2017-05-24 17:22
Fromjpff
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Espeak
GPL licece could be a problem

On Wed, 24 May 2017, Anders Genell wrote:

> Dear devs!
>
> There was a discussion about speech synthesis recently, and I've been meaning
> to ask: would it be terribly cumbersome to create a plugin for interfacing
> with espeak (http://espeak.sourceforge.net/) fromĀ Csound?
> I realize it might not be the most authentic-sounding speech, but on the other
> hand who wouldn't want Stephen Hawking on vocals for the next piece?
>
> Regards,
> Anders

Date2017-05-24 17:48
FromAnders Genell
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Espeak
Ah, of course.
Well, I'll just have to use it separately and pipe sound through stdin or so.

Thanx!
Regards,
Anders

> 24 maj 2017 kl. 18:22 skrev jpff :
>
> GPL licece could be a problem
>

>> On Wed, 24 May 2017, Anders Genell wrote:
>>
>> Dear devs!
>> There was a discussion about speech synthesis recently, and I've been meaning
>> to ask: would it be terribly cumbersome to create a plugin for interfacing
>> with espeak (http://espeak.sourceforge.net/) from Csound?
>> I realize it might not be the most authentic-sounding speech, but on the other
>> hand who wouldn't want Stephen Hawking on vocals for the next piece?
>> Regards,

Date2017-05-24 19:52
FromFelipe Sateler
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Espeak
If it were done as a plugin it would resolve the issue: the plugin would be (transitively) GPLed, but the engine should remain unaffected, as the plugins are loaded dynamically.

Saludos

--

Saludos,
Felipe Sateler