[Csnd-dev] Draft Release Notes for cs6.17

Date2022-01-26 17:53
FromJohn
Subject[Csnd-dev] Draft Release Notes for cs6.17
This is what I expect to be in cs6.17

Any clarifications or suggestions please send to me soon as the release is
imminent.

==John ffitch

# CSOUND VERSION 6.17 RELEASE NOTES - DRAFT - DRAFT - DRAFT - DRAFT

Mainly a bug-fixing release but also a major re-organisation of the
libraries to move all opcodes with dependencies into a separate plugins
repository. The only exception to this is the OSC opcodes (which
depend on liblo). This is in part a preparation for Csound7. This is
the last release using the current parser (v.2).

-- The Developers

## USER-LEVEL CHANGES

### New opcodes

- scanmap and scansmap are like the xscanmap/xscansmap opcodes but
  work with the mainstream scan opcodes.

- trigexpseg, triglinseg are aliases for trigExpseg, trigLinseg.

- xscan opcodes are deprecated as they add nothing to the scan opcodes.

- bformdec2 provides more ambisonic decoding of bformat audio.

- metrobpm is like metro but the timing is in beats per minute and the
  signal can be offset by a proportion of the cycle.

- sequ is a csound version of an hardware sequencer.  It has many modes and options.

- gtadsr implements a gated ADSR envelope

### New gen

### Orchestra

- Message printing has been revised so -m16 suppresses all
    messages.

- add channel count to list_audio_devices (called when the flag
  --devices is used so that it can be parsed by frontends).

### Score

### Modified Opcodes and Gens

- event opcode does not bail out if the instrument called does not exist.

- Added an optional prefix to soundfont instruments printed via sfilist.

- lpslots reworked with better control.

### Utilities

- cvanal now uses the SADIR environment to look for analysis files.

### Frontends

### General Usage

## Bugs Fixed

- fareylen called a non-existent function leading to a crash.  Removed typo.

- turnoff could cause clicks in some cases; fixed.

- turnoff3 improved.

- cntReset fixed; had a false initialisation code.

- binary search in bpf fixed.

- pvscfs frame counting issue fixed.

- --sample-accurate fixed in a-rate form of tabsum.

- Problem in atssinnoi fixed; did read outside allocated memory.

- hrtfmove fixed; it could use the wrong value for sr.

- Named instruments could use wrong structure in redefinition.

- fixes in the jack backend relating to --get-system-sr.

- pvcross frequency warp mode fixed.

- lpcfilter/lpcanal bug where processing could not be restarted after
  a freeze fixed.

- the emugens collection of opcode, a large group incorporation mainly
  array operations, were not made available due to a small editing
  error.

- If using a float build (rather than a double) array access could be
  wrong.

- In some cases instr0 code could ignore loops after an incorrect
  warning.  Now fixed.

- Bugs in mp3len and similar fixed.

- Crash in syncgrain issue #1773 fixed

# SYSTEM LEVEL CHANGES

### System Changes

- winsound has been removed.

### Translations

### API

CreateThread2 is a new API function that allows threads to be given a
user-defined stack size.

### External Plugin Code

For a variety of reasons including licences, plugin opcodes that
allow csound to be a host for VST plugins is available from
https://github.com/gogins/csound-vst3-opcodes.git where installation
instructions can be found.  It has been shown to work on Linux, MacOS
and Windows.

### Platform Specific

==END==

Date2022-01-27 14:37
From"Dr. Richard Boulanger"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Draft Release Notes for cs6.17
Looking great.

sequ should read "a" hardware sequencer

On Wed, Jan 26, 2022 at 12:53 PM John <jpff@codemist.co.uk> wrote:
[...]

FromFrancois PINOT
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Draft Release Notes for cs6.17
I just updated the what's new section of the manual accordingly. The manual entry for the gtadsr opcode has links to images/gtadsr.png and mgtadsr opcodes, but there are no such image and opcode.

François

Le mer. 26 janv. 2022 à 18:53, John <jpff@codemist.co.uk> a écrit :
[...]

Fromjohn
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Draft Release Notes for cs6.17
Thnk it is fixed
==John ff

On Thu, 27 Jan 2022, Francois PINOT wrote:

> [...]
>         wrong.
>
>       - In some cases instr0 code could ignore loops after an incorrect
>         warning.  Now fixed.
>
>       - Bugs in mp3len and similar fixed.
>
>       - Crash in syncgrain issue #1773 fixed
>
>       # SYSTEM LEVEL CHANGES
>
>       ### System Changes
>
>       - winsound has been removed.
>
>       ### Translations
>
>       ### API
>
>       CreateThread2 is a new API function that allows threads to be
>       given a
>       user-defined stack size.
>
>       ### External Plugin Code
>
>       For a variety of reasons including licences, plugin opcodes that
>       allow csound to be a host for VST plugins is available from
>       https://github.com/gogins/csound-vst3-opcodes.git where
>       installation
>       instructions can be found.  It has been shown to work on Linux,

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd-dev] Draft Release Notes for cs6.17
Are we ready for a manual release tomorrow? That needs to precede the Csound release so the windows CI can build the package with the correct manual version.

On 27 Jan 2022, at 16:27, Francois PINOT <fggpinot@gmail.com> wrote:

*Warning*

This email originated from outside of Maynooth University's Mail System. Do not reply, click links or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and know the content is safe.

[...]

i commited yesterday an extension of f-sigs to the UDO description of
the manual:
https://github.com/csound/manual/pull/611/commits/885541c0002b5da5fbca307fdadf19c7ad176ad7

but i think i was wrong: it seems that f-sigs are only possible as
inputs, not as outputs.

can you confirm? we should correct this then before release.

On 30/01/2022 19:02, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>     # SYSTEM LEVEL CHANGES
>>
>>     ### System Changes
>>
>>     - winsound has been removed.
>>
>>     ### Translations
>>
>>     ### API
>>
>>     CreateThread2 is a new API function that allows threads to be given a
>>     user-defined stack size.
>>
>>     ### External Plugin Code
>>
>>     For a variety of reasons including licences, plugin opcodes that
>>     allow csound to be a host for VST plugins is available from
>>     https://github.com/gogins/csound-vst3-opcodes.git
>>
>>     where installation
>>     instructions can be found.  It has been shown to work on Linux, MacOS
>>     and Windows.
>>
>>     ### Platform Specific
>>
>>     ==END==
>>
>>     ========================================================================

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd-dev] Draft Release Notes for cs6.17
Looks like a bug me, it should work correctly or give an error. i'll have to investigate.

> [...]
>>>    allow csound to be a host for VST plugins is available from
>>>    https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fgogins%2Fcsound-vst3-opcodes.git&data=04%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7Cfdab319ecd1b489241a508d9e41b9dd2%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C0%7C0%7C637791629976492510%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=LC803t%2B9EMwMPvtR9a53Gi0FljYrEoVGPT%2FihF9nuKg%3D&reserved=0
>>>
>>>    where installation
>>>    instructions can be found.  It has been shown to work on Linux, MacOS
>>>    and Windows.
>>>
>>>    ### Platform Specific
>>>
>>>    ==END==
>>>
>>>    ============================================

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd-dev] Draft Release Notes for cs6.17
Fixed now, fsigs as output are working.

> On 31 Jan 2022, at 06:43, Victor Lazzarini  wrote:
>
> Looks like a bug me, it should work correctly or give an error. i'll have to investigate.
>
>> On 30 Jan 2022, at 18:09, joachim heintz  wrote:
>>
>> i commited yesterday an extension of f-sigs to the UDO description of the manual:
>> https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fcsound%2Fmanual%2Fpull%2F611%2Fcommits%2F885541c0002b5da5fbca307fdadf19c7ad176ad7&data=04%7C01%7CVictor.Lazzarini%40mu.ie%7Cbb7a3180390c43695de308d9e48513bd%7C1454f5ccbb354685bbd98621fd8055c9%7C0%7C0%7C637792082487936790%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=B9K9%2BeZV00rWiwIu%2Bq%2FvDwG0M7zeMdQB83rZMnQoQQY%3D&reserved=0
>>
>> but i think i was wrong: it seems that f-sigs are only possible as inputs, not as outputs.
>>
>> can you confirm? we should correct this then before release.
>>
>> On 30/01/2022 19:02, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>> Are we ready for a manual release tomorrow? That needs to precede the Csound release so the windows CI can build the package with the correct manual version.
>>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Csnd-dev] Draft Release Notes for cs6.17
yes i can confirm this.  great --- i will submit an examples for it.
	joachim