[Csnd-dev] New Issue of Journal of Sonic Studies (online)

Date2018-10-11 22:15
From"Worrall, David"
Subject[Csnd-dev] New Issue of Journal of Sonic Studies (online)

On behalf of

Prof. dr. M.A. (Marcel) Cobussen
Leiden University Faculty of Humanities
Academy of Creative and Performing Arts
The Netherlands

Journal of Sonic Studies (online)

We are proud to announce that Issue 17 of JSS (http://sonicstudies.org) is now online. This issue again is a special issue, this time centred around sonic information design. Guest editors for this issue are David Worrall and Stephen Barrass. Sonic Information Design refers to the design of sounds to provide useful information in applications that have impact in our daily lives. The articles in this special issue of the Journal of Sonic Studies on Sonic Information Design had their origins as responses to the theme of the 22nd International Conference for Auditory Display, held in Canberra, Australia in 2016. JSS 17 includes the following papers:

• Editorial: On Sonic Information Design - David Worrall and Stephen Barrass

• Sonic Information Design - Stephen Barrass

• Addressing the Mapping Problem in Sonic Information Design through Embodied Image Schemata, Conceptual Metaphors, and Conceptual Blending - Stephen Roddy and Brian Bridges

• Sonifying for Public Engagement: A Context-Based Model for Socially Relevant Data - Milena Droumeva and Marc St Pierre

• The Planetorium: Sonic Information Design for Earthling Audiences - R. Michael Winters, Avrosh Kumar, Brianna J. Tomlinson and Bruce N. Walker

• Sonic Information Design for the Display of Proteomic Data - William L. Martens

• Informative Sound Assists Timing in a Simple Visual Decision-Making Task - Keith Nesbitt, Paul Williams, Patrick Ng, Karen Blackmore and Ami Eidels

---

Prof David Worrall, PhD

Audio Arts and Acoustics

Columbia College Chicago

33 E Congress Pkwy Room 601N

Chicago, ILLINOIS, USA 60605

Tel: (1)312.369.8821 Fax: (1)312.369.8427

Wikipedia: David Worrall

Personal research/creative practice website: avatar.com.au

President, International Community for Auditory Display icad.org

SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] New Issue of Journal of Sonic Studies (online)
Great to see. I met Stephen a few years back  at a workshop in Sweden.
Congrats

Victor Lazzarini

On 11 Oct 2018, at 22:16, Worrall, David <dworrall@COLUM.EDU> wrote:

[...]

Date2018-10-12 19:00
From"Worrall, David"
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] New Issue of Journal of Sonic Studies (online)

Gee, Victor… thanks!

Stephen is good value: thinks outside the box…

– I was one of his PhD supervisors back in the old days. He’s just taken early retirement. Enough to make me feel  o… l… d.

But I’ve a family to support, so onwards….

Kindnesses,

David

---

From: Csound-developers <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> on behalf of Victor Lazzarini <Victor.Lazzarini@MU.IE>
Date: Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 4:37 PM
To: "CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE" <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject: Re: [Csnd-dev] New Issue of Journal of Sonic Studies (online)

[...]

indeed, onwards, but it's for the good of all

Victor Lazzarini