Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

Re: [Csnd-dev] Azure Pipelines

Date2019-10-29 22:11
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] Azure Pipelines
The reason I use Azure for everything is I can target all platforms with a single system. But I think this is something that Github Actions will offer too. I have an Azure pipeline already building Csound for OSX. It would be trivial to add a Windows build, but on the other hand the Appveyor build is fine. Putting a lot of effort into Azure now, only to drop it in 6 months time for another system would seem a pointless exercise. 

Btw, I made a request today to enable Azure pipelines on the csound_tilde repo, but then cancelled it. I think for now it would be simplest to outsource the CI to my own fork.   

On Tue, 29 Oct 2019 at 22:44, Stephen Kyne <stevek@outlook.ie> wrote:

I think it makes sense to amalgamate as much of this stuff as possible. Less systems should mean less maintenance. There’s nothing stopping us adding an Azure Pipelines config file and having some overlap period of the 3 of them until it’s ready. Having said that, Github Actions looks to be very similar to Azure Pipelines but it would have tighter integration with all the project management / issues / users etc. I think that could be a big plus for going with GA and apparently the configuration is quite similar to AP. Having everything under one platform would be great.

I’m nearly finished with my Window changes so that should simplify the Windows build scripts. It’s been a bit of a rabbit hole and I’ve changed some CMake files in the process also. Really I think that should be another project. To pick a minimum CMake version, use the current best practices (and newer APIs) and simplify all of the CMakeLists as much as possible. Moving opcodes out of the core repo will help simplify that again, a lot of the issues I’ve been facing are because of dependencies for specific opcodes.

Stephen

From: Csound-developers <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> on behalf of Steven Yi <stevenyi@GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 11:13:57 PM
To: CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE>
Subject: [Csnd-dev] Azure Pipelines

Hi All,

Regarding CI builds, we're currently using Appveyor and Travis. I saw Rory's note about CI integration with Azure pipelines. I have a student who has just about finished putting together two Docker-based builds that work with Azure pipelines that build the Emscripten and Android releases from our repos. Once that is complete I'll merge that in. 

I know Stephen's been doing a lot of work on updating CMake and the Windows build. 

There's also Github Actions which is enabled for our organization.

Question: Would it be worth it to centralize on on CI system (Azure pipelines)?  Doesn't need to happen right now, but thinking what we might work towards in the future.

Steven

Date2019-10-29 22:13
FromSteven Yi
Subject[Csnd-dev] Azure Pipelines
Hi All,

Regarding CI builds, we're currently using Appveyor and Travis. I saw Rory's note about CI integration with Azure pipelines. I have a student who has just about finished putting together two Docker-based builds that work with Azure pipelines that build the Emscripten and Android releases from our repos. Once that is complete I'll merge that in. 

I know Stephen's been doing a lot of work on updating CMake and the Windows build. 

Question: Would it be worth it to centralize on on CI system (Azure pipelines)?  Doesn't need to happen right now, but thinking what we might work towards in the future.

Steven

Date2019-10-29 22:44
FromStephen Kyne

I think it makes sense to amalgamate as much of this stuff as possible. Less systems should mean less maintenance. There’s nothing stopping us adding an Azure Pipelines config file and having some overlap period of the 3 of them until it’s ready. Having said that, Github Actions looks to be very similar to Azure Pipelines but it would have tighter integration with all the project management / issues / users etc. I think that could be a big plus for going with GA and apparently the configuration is quite similar to AP. Having everything under one platform would be great.

I’m nearly finished with my Window changes so that should simplify the Windows build scripts. It’s been a bit of a rabbit hole and I’ve changed some CMake files in the process also. Really I think that should be another project. To pick a minimum CMake version, use the current best practices (and newer APIs) and simplify all of the CMakeLists as much as possible. Moving opcodes out of the core repo will help simplify that again, a lot of the issues I’ve been facing are because of dependencies for specific opcodes.

Stephen

From: Csound-developers <CSOUND-DEV@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE> on behalf of Steven Yi <stevenyi@GMAIL.COM>

Hi All,

Steven

Date2019-10-30 00:26
FromSteven Yi
So it sounds like you both think we should move to Github Actions instead? If so, I'll plan to integrate the Docker builds for web/android to that instead of Azure Pipelines.  (Probably will look at experimenting with Github actions and Blue shortly.)

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 7:12 PM Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
The reason I use Azure for everything is I can target all platforms with a single system. But I think this is something that Github Actions will offer too. I have an Azure pipeline already building Csound for OSX. It would be trivial to add a Windows build, but on the other hand the Appveyor build is fine. Putting a lot of effort into Azure now, only to drop it in 6 months time for another system would seem a pointless exercise. 

Btw, I made a request today to enable Azure pipelines on the csound_tilde repo, but then cancelled it. I think for now it would be simplest to outsource the CI to my own fork.   

Stephen

Hi All,

Steven

Date2019-10-30 08:06
FromRory Walsh
We only have to wait a few weeks until GA is released, maybe we just wait and see how it goes. One thing that should be easier with GA is publishing release binaries directly to the GitHub repo. This has always been a bit of a pain with the existing systems. 

On Wed 30 Oct 2019, 00:26 Steven Yi, <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:
So it sounds like you both think we should move to Github Actions instead? If so, I'll plan to integrate the Docker builds for web/android to that instead of Azure Pipelines.  (Probably will look at experimenting with Github actions and Blue shortly.)

Stephen

Hi All,

Steven

Date2019-10-30 10:26
FromSteven Yi
I came across this yesterday:

Which seems to have a similar download artifact option like on appveyor.

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019, 04:07 Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@ear.ie> wrote:
We only have to wait a few weeks until GA is released, maybe we just wait and see how it goes. One thing that should be easier with GA is publishing release binaries directly to the GitHub repo. This has always been a bit of a pain with the existing systems. 

On Wed 30 Oct 2019, 00:26 Steven Yi, <stevenyi@gmail.com> wrote:

Stephen

Hi All,

Steven