Csound Csound-dev Csound-tekno Search About

[Csnd-dev] OT: Tracktion now open source

Date2018-11-17 08:13
FromAnders Genell
Subject[Csnd-dev] OT: Tracktion now open source
I just saw this and thought it might be useful for some on this list, perhaps. 
Maybe something for Rory as Cabbage is very JUCEy if i remember correctly?

Regards,
Anders

Date2018-11-18 09:41
FromRory Walsh
SubjectRe: [Csnd-dev] OT: Tracktion now open source
I saw that. Nice to see it open sourced! 

On Sat 17 Nov 2018, 08:13 Anders Genell <anders.genell@gmail.com wrote:

Regards,
Anders

Date2018-11-18 09:52
FromAnders Genell
I do not mean to say Cabbage is in any way lacking in functionality of performance, of course, but the Cabbage Studio concept might perhaps benefit from an existing engine? Though I suppose the Studio is now all included in the “ordinary” Cabbage...

I haven’t played around with Cabbage much lately, so I’m not up to date with what’s available. I would personally love a DAW with traditional midi/audio track workflow, but with Csound as main audio engine, connected via API rather than VST or “internal” midi routing. 
Maybe this is already available?

Regards,
Anders

18 nov. 2018 kl. 10:41 skrev Rory Walsh <rorywalsh@EAR.IE>:

Regards,
Anders

Date2018-11-18 16:14
FromRory Walsh
I've often been tempted to build a Csound DAW, but it would be so hard to make anything that would compete with what's already out there. And being able to use Csound in most DAWs kind of makes them all Csound DAWs in a way ;) 

On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 at 09:52, Anders Genell <anders.genell@gmail.com> wrote:
I do not mean to say Cabbage is in any way lacking in functionality of performance, of course, but the Cabbage Studio concept might perhaps benefit from an existing engine? Though I suppose the Studio is now all included in the “ordinary” Cabbage...

I haven’t played around with Cabbage much lately, so I’m not up to date with what’s available. I would personally love a DAW with traditional midi/audio track workflow, but with Csound as main audio engine, connected via API rather than VST or “internal” midi routing. 

Regards,
Anders

Regards,
Anders

Date2018-11-24 14:28
FromMauro Giubileo

I think that Cabbage was born mainly to let developers make synths/fx (using the Csound engine) plugins and to let them make a nice GUI in an easy way. And in this regard, in my opinion, it already does a good job, but there is so much room to improve it, so I think it's better to focus on making it better and better as a development tool, instead of dispersing the efforts in too many different areas.

There are already some good opensource DAW like Ardour and LMMS. We can make Cabbage synths/fx plugins and load them in those software (or in commercial DAW too)! :-)

Regards,
Mauro

Il 2018-11-18 17:14 Rory Walsh ha scritto:

I've often been tempted to build a Csound DAW, but it would be so hard to make anything that would compete with what's already out there. And being able to use Csound in most DAWs kind of makes them all Csound DAWs in a way ;) 

I do not mean to say Cabbage is in any way lacking in functionality of performance, of course, but the Cabbage Studio concept might perhaps benefit from an existing engine? Though I suppose the Studio is now all included in the "ordinary" Cabbage...

I haven't played around with Cabbage much lately, so I'm not up to date with what's available. I would personally love a DAW with traditional midi/audio track workflow, but with Csound as main audio engine, connected via API rather than VST or "internal" midi routing. 

Regards,
Anders

Regards,
Anders

Date2018-11-24 16:30
FromMichael Gogins
What I would like to see is a program that works as a score editor, a MIDI sequencer, a looper, and can run code in various languages such as Common Lisp, Csound, and HTML/JavaScript. You should be be able to see the score for algorithmically generated as well as performed or manually entered parts.

This would be very challenging. Current software does not have modular enough designs. 

One can imagine starting with MuseScore and replacing its JavaScript engine with the Chromium Embedded Framework, adding the Traktion engine, adding a builtin Csound, and adding Embeddable Common Lisp.

One could similarly extend an open source DAW such as Ardour.

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018, 09:28 Mauro Giubileo <mgiubileo@computeraltafed.it wrote:

I think that Cabbage was born mainly to let developers make synths/fx (using the Csound engine) plugins and to let them make a nice GUI in an easy way. And in this regard, in my opinion, it already does a good job, but there is so much room to improve it, so I think it's better to focus on making it better and better as a development tool, instead of dispersing the efforts in too many different areas.

There are already some good opensource DAW like Ardour and LMMS. We can make Cabbage synths/fx plugins and load them in those software (or in commercial DAW too)! :-)

Regards,
Mauro

I do not mean to say Cabbage is in any way lacking in functionality of performance, of course, but the Cabbage Studio concept might perhaps benefit from an existing engine? Though I suppose the Studio is now all included in the "ordinary" Cabbage...

I haven't played around with Cabbage much lately, so I'm not up to date with what's available. I would personally love a DAW with traditional midi/audio track workflow, but with Csound as main audio engine, connected via API rather than VST or "internal" midi routing. 

Regards,
Anders

Regards,
Anders

Date2018-11-24 18:30
FromMauro Giubileo

Not an easy task! :)

I know that REAPER has a scripting system that allows the user to extend the daw fuctionalities. Actually in Reaper you can use 3 different languages for the scripts: Eel2 (the original scripting language made by Reaper developers), Lua and Python. If Python can connect to Csound, then maybe Reaper could be used to make algorithmic sounds too? I don't know if Ardour, LMMS or Tracktion can do something like that but it would be nice.

Regards,
Mauro

Il 2018-11-24 17:30 Michael Gogins ha scritto:

What I would like to see is a program that works as a score editor, a MIDI sequencer, a looper, and can run code in various languages such as Common Lisp, Csound, and HTML/JavaScript. You should be be able to see the score for algorithmically generated as well as performed or manually entered parts.

This would be very challenging. Current software does not have modular enough designs. 

One can imagine starting with MuseScore and replacing its JavaScript engine with the Chromium Embedded Framework, adding the Traktion engine, adding a builtin Csound, and adding Embeddable Common Lisp.

Regards,
Mauro

Regards,
Anders

Regards,
Anders

Date2018-11-24 18:34
FromAnders Genell
Well, it seems Ardour support scripting with Lua at least. 

Regards, 
Anders

24 nov. 2018 kl. 19:30 skrev Mauro Giubileo <mgiubileo@COMPUTERALTAFED.IT>:

Not an easy task! :)

I know that REAPER has a scripting system that allows the user to extend the daw fuctionalities. Actually in Reaper you can use 3 different languages for the scripts: Eel2 (the original scripting language made by Reaper developers), Lua and Python. If Python can connect to Csound, then maybe Reaper could be used to make algorithmic sounds too? I don't know if Ardour, LMMS or Tracktion can do something like that but it would be nice.

Regards,
Mauro

Il 2018-11-24 17:30 Michael Gogins ha scritto:

Regards,
Mauro

Regards,
Anders

Regards,
Anders

Date2018-11-25 15:47
FromMenno Knevel
Blue by Steven Yi (https://blue.kunstmusik.com/) has a lot of modules, for
instance the module JMask that allows a visual presentation of the score
generation program CMask. It also has a module that allows notation of notes
like sequencers Reaper, Cubase etc. in any scale you want as it uses the
Scala scales. This module can also be used to send midi notes to other (soft
or hard)ware synths.

Audiofiles can be imported, different fade ins/outs are present. 

Automation Lines can be drawn like the Automation in other sequencers, but
Blue does *not* have the possibility to link those Automation Lines to Midi
or OSC yet.

I've always hoped that Blue would be adopted as /the/ Csound sequencer by
other Csounders. This could have sped up the development of the program a
lot, but alas...

--

Date2018-11-25 18:26
FromMichael Gogins
I agree that blue is very cool. The main reason I don't use it myself is I'm normally just writing and running code, a simple text editor with a few custom commands has worked fine so far. 

On Sun, Nov 25, 2018, 10:48 Menno Knevel <magknevel@gmail.com wrote:
Blue by Steven Yi (https://blue.kunstmusik.com/) has a lot of modules, for
instance the module JMask that allows a visual presentation of the score
generation program CMask. It also has a module that allows notation of notes
like sequencers Reaper, Cubase etc. in any scale you want as it uses the
Scala scales. This module can also be used to send midi notes to other (soft
or hard)ware synths.

Audiofiles can be imported, different fade ins/outs are present.

Automation Lines can be drawn like the Automation in other sequencers, but
Blue does *not* have the possibility to link those Automation Lines to Midi
or OSC yet.

I've always hoped that Blue would be adopted as /the/ Csound sequencer by
other Csounders. This could have sped up the development of the program a
lot, but alas...

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-Dev-f1123218.html

Date2018-11-25 19:21
FromAnders Genell
Yes, I really should get acquainted with blue, but I tend to get overwhelmed whenever I try...

/A

> 25 nov. 2018 kl. 16:47 skrev Menno Knevel :
> 
> Blue by Steven Yi (https://blue.kunstmusik.com/) has a lot of modules, for
> instance the module JMask that allows a visual presentation of the score
> generation program CMask. It also has a module that allows notation of notes
> like sequencers Reaper, Cubase etc. in any scale you want as it uses the
> Scala scales. This module can also be used to send midi notes to other (soft
> or hard)ware synths.
> 
> Audiofiles can be imported, different fade ins/outs are present. 
> 
> Automation Lines can be drawn like the Automation in other sequencers, but
> Blue does *not* have the possibility to link those Automation Lines to Midi
> or OSC yet.
> 
> I've always hoped that Blue would be adopted as /the/ Csound sequencer by
> other Csounders. This could have sped up the development of the program a
> lot, but alas...
> 
> 
> 
>